OKC's Westbrook: Need to Police "Vulgar, Disrespectful Fans"

6,300 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ATM9000
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's entertainment. No different than a comedian, singer, actor, etc.
500,000ags
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

Next time you lose a client or get passed over for a promotion just imagine some 50 year old idiot laughing his ass off at you while filming your reaction from 12-18 inches away.

That fan was a moron.

Cool, and next time I gain a client or get a promotion, should I expect $200M guaranteed no matter what my future performance is, along with glowing praise and accolades by millions of people & all the stardom and fame that comes with it?

I guess your making the point that his high pay and profession entitles fans to berate him to their liking and discretion? I disagree with that point.

That fan was a moron.
Bunk Moreland
500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

Next time you lose a client or get passed over for a promotion just imagine some 50 year old idiot laughing his ass off at you while filming your reaction from 12-18 inches away.

That fan was a moron.

Cool, and next time I gain a client or get a promotion, should I expect $200M guaranteed no matter what my future performance is, along with glowing praise and accolades by millions of people & all the stardom and fame that comes with it?

I guess your making the point that his high pay and profession entitles fans to berate him to their liking and discretion? I disagree with that point.

No, I'm making the point that it's silly to try and compare an everyday job/situation to public superstars who are paid millions and benefit directly from people like those fans that purchase tickets to watch their games, buy their shoes, watch programming with their highlights on it, etc.
500,000ags
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

That fan was a moron.

No, I'm making the point that it's silly to try and compare an everyday job/situation to public superstars who are paid millions and benefit directly from people like those fans that purchase tickets to watch their games, buy their shoes, watch programming with their highlights on it, etc.
Saying everyday jobs cannot be considered similar is still the exact same thing as saying fans are entitled to berate him because of his pay and profession.

In reality, that fan was being an obtuse jerk and he got physically called out on it.

I believe you'd be singing a different tune if Fisher were walking into the tunnel after a SEC championship loss and some Georgia fan was laughing and filming him from a foot away.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Saying everyday jobs cannot be considered similar is still the exact same thing as saying fans are entitled to berate him because of his pay and profession.

In reality, that fan was being an obtuse jerk and he got physically called out on it.

I believe you'd be singing a different tune if Fisher were walking into the tunnel after a SEC championship loss and some Georgia fan was laughing and filming him from a foot away.

If the fan was in his seat and not saying anything vulgar and recording devices were allowed, then no I wouldn't.

Even if the guy was being an obtuse jerk, he seemed to be doing it within reason of what to expect if you're a public athlete, and definitely one who's at the top of the league.

1876er
AG
I'm with Russ
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Iowaggie said:

Yes fans should act better, but at some point, the player is the professional, not the fan.
Sorry, but this is a ridiculous take. I'm not going to go into McDonald's and berate a cashier because my Big Mac came out wrong and because expect that cashier to not react back because that person is the professional in that setting where I'm the paying customer. No sideline I've seen is wide enough of a boundary to excuse a lack of public decorum.

Wait...I had a ridiculous take, and you just compared Westbrook's work environment to a McDonald's cashier?

Do you go to NBA games, and when the other team is shooting free throws start yelling for fans to be quiet because we wouldn't go to McDonalds and cheer for them to mess up? Are you posting on some message board somewhere that a certain Wendy's employee is overrated and only going for Triple Burgers records and not sales?

Are you the same guy that posts after a hockey or baseball fight that if you slugged an employee from another company, you'd be thrown in jail?

Sorry if I believe that in the arena, professional athletes have certain standards for behavior that fans.
Iowaggie
AG
500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

That fan was a moron.

This is a fallacy. Just because one says the first thing, doesn't mean the 2nd part has to be true.

Professional athletes have unique jobs with different expectations and standards. It doesn't mean that fans get to personally harass them. I'm not sure what the line is, but is it different if one person is yelling right at the player versus a crowd chanting "You suck ref" or "These refs suck"? Is it worse to chant "Ball 6" to an opposing pitcher versus laugh at a player as he's walking off? I know there is some line, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure the standard is different between a professional athlete and a regular job.

lil99chris
AG
Do you feel Harden was right for slapping the fan's phone away?

In regards to Westbrook's situation.....I felt he was a bit extreme, but I can understand his position (especially coming from Jazz fans). As a fan, why harass an opposing player after your team won the series? I would be more interested in celebrating the victory. Let the losing team walk off the court.
CFTXAG10
AG
The guy who shot this video is a complete dumba**, here he is later on from a different angle

500,000ags
AG
Iowaggie said:

500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

Bunk Moreland said:

500,000ags said:

That fan was a moron.

This is a fallacy. Just because one says the first thing, doesn't mean the 2nd part has to be true.

Professional athletes have unique jobs with different expectations and standards. It doesn't mean that fans get to personally harass them. I'm not sure what the line is, but is it different if one person is yelling right at the player versus a crowd chanting "You suck ref" or "These refs suck"? Is it worse to chant "Ball 6" to an opposing pitcher versus laugh at a player as he's walking off? I know there is some line, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure the standard is different between a professional athlete and a regular job.

"Fallacy" equals "I don't agree."

My opinion was that no matter the job, we should look at that fan like an idiot for laughing and filming Westbrook when he just failed. Bunk's reply was that because a regular person doesn't have the upside to make $200MM or isn't a celebrity means they don't deserve the same levels of confrontation that a pro ball player like Westbrook should expect to encounter, even if he did just fail. That means Bunk is bifurcating workers into two classes. By then directly stating its silly one class should have to expect the same as Westbrook, is continuing to indirectly hint at his overall theme that pay and profession matter and just come with the territory. Notice how he didn't make it a point to directly state neither class of workers should expect that confrontation?

The argument makes perfect sense.
500,000ags
AG
I remember when a small number of Jazz fans were covering one of their eyes during Derek Fisher's free throws because his daughter was diagnosed with eye cancer.

Classy bunch.

lil99chris
AG
That guy seems like a total a-hole. All he wants is a reaction from Harden, so he can share it on social media. Pathetic.

I get smack talk, but when you are at an opposing team's venue.....cheer your team and try not to have confrontations. Is that too difficult?
jeffdjohnson
Heckling is fine I guess (although I don't get the appeal), but don't lean over rails or point objects/cameras in someone else's face. If someone wants to be a ****** and heckle/film while staying in their seat, that is fine. That guy should have been run out of the stadium after the first incident.
C Loves L
If your favorite player on your favorite NBA team said exactly what Russ stated, you all would be agreeing with him.

Im not a OKC fan or a Westbrook fan but i agree with him. Fans take things to far at times
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I am with Russ, I was also with Artest. Talk **** be prepared or act an ass be prepared to back it up.
If someone comes to your office and talks **** or puts a cell phone in your face or pours a beer on you, I'd expect you to hit them. That's what they deserve for
EVA3
AG
Sadly, we have become a vulgar, disrespectful society.
PatAg
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

I am with Russ, I was also with Artest. Talk **** be prepared or act an ass be prepared to back it up.
If someone comes to your office and talks **** or puts a cell phone in your face or pours a beer on you, I'd expect you to hit them. That's what they deserve for
Enjoy your lawsuits and prison while you keep it real.
bmart97
AG
EVA3 said:

Sadly, we have become a vulgar, disrespectful society.

Agreed. And for some reason in the arena of sports & celebrity it is somehow acceptable for the public to personally attach someone verbally, sometimes physically and not expect an appropriate response.
CashMoneyYo
It's quite easy to tell who the vulgar animals are themselves based on the responses to this thread.
Cromagnum
AG
NBA players are the whiniest SOBs out there.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
drewbie08
AG
Wow that's terrible.
TheMasterplan
Those last two videos...man wtf.
ATM9000
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

The Cavs wore white last night...
drewbie08
AG
Good catch. Wonder where that was from.
ATM9000
AG
I think Timofy Mozgov is the guy in front of him... so 3 years ago.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.