Objective List of the Greatest of All Time

3,625 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
PascalsWager
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty interesting methodology. Thought the NBA board would enjoy it.
Link

Notables:
#32 Steph
#26 Kevin Durant
#21 Chris Paul
#18 Dirk

Heard the author talk on a the Dun'd On Podcast here.

AgDoc03
AG
Will be interesting to see the final list of all top 40
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kobe outside of the top 10. I'm on board with this list.
NoahAg
So, the top 8, in some order is:

MJ
Lebron
Russell
Hakeem
Shaq
Duncan
Kareem
and...Garnett?
bmart97
AG
Wilt Chamberlain at 9 doesn't add up to me. He was the most dominate player of his era and his numbers were absolutely ridiculous! I am an enormous fan of MJ & Duncan, but I wouldn't argue with Wilt in the top 5.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan top 3.
Guitarsoup
AG
Garnett over Magic and Bird?

94chem
I know Ray Allen was great, but was he better than Dominique Wilkins? Interesting research.
NoahAg
Guitarsoup said:

Wow. I just guessed Garnett b/c I couldn't think of anyone else. But I'm not sure I'd have him top 25.

No way I'd put him over WILT, Bird, Magic, Dirk, Kobe, Karl...

Maybe you could say Wilkins had a higher peak, buy Ray Allen had the bigger body of work?
Guitarsoup
AG
Peak Dominique (10 straight seasons) from 85-94 averaged 28/7/3 with 22.9PER and .168 WS/48.

Peak Allen (10 straight season) from 98-07 averaged 22.4/4.7/4 with 20.8 PER and .155 WS/48.

I have no problem taking Nique there. If I was starting a team from scratch, I take Nique every time over Allen.
94chem
It's also interesting to see McHale on the list but not Worthy. Played the same era, similar stats. McHale had the reputation of a defender, but wasn't he more of an enforcer? Worthy had that electric first step, like Amare Stoudamire before he got injured.
94chem
Also, in his era, Cousy seems an odd omission. Led league in assists every year for a decade. Who can even evaluate the 1950's, though?
NoahAg
I had no idea Bob Cousy is still alive.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Duncan at 7.
WES2006AG
AG
Hakeem at 6.
CasualObserver44
AG
NoahAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

Wow. I just guessed Garnett b/c I couldn't think of anyone else. But I'm not sure I'd have him top 25.

No way I'd put him over WILT, Bird, Magic, Dirk, Kobe, Karl...

Maybe you could say Wilkins had a higher peak, buy Ray Allen had the bigger body of work?
The author mentions that longevity plays a part, and Garnett played nearly double the amount of games Bird did (565 more to be exact). I'm sure that played a role. And you really don't see an argument for Garnett being placed over Dirk? Their careers and numbers are remarkably similar.
Guitarsoup
AG
That is fine that Longevity plays a factor. In fact, I think it should. But just weighing number of games and not how productive he was is idiotic.

Garnett played 500 more games.

But Garnett's most productive years were 98 (18.5/9.6) and 08 (18.8/9.2). Outside that window, Garnett never averaged 9rpg and only once averaged over 15ppg. That window was 841 games long.

Bird averaged 21/10/5 as a rookie and 21/10/7 in his last season. His prime was effectively his entire career. Sure, we didn't see him play 5 years as a shell of himself for 15-25 minutes per game, but should Bird really be penalized for that? Bird played about 900 games, and pretty much all of them were his prime.
CasualObserver44
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That is fine that Longevity plays a factor. In fact, I think it should. But just weighing number of games and not how productive he was is idiotic.

Garnett played 500 more games.

But Garnett's most productive years were 98 (18.5/9.6) and 08 (18.8/9.2). Outside that window, Garnett never averaged 9rpg and only once averaged over 15ppg. That window was 841 games long.

Bird averaged 21/10/5 as a rookie and 21/10/7 in his last season. His prime was effectively his entire career. Sure, we didn't see him play 5 years as a shell of himself for 15-25 minutes per game, but should Bird really be penalized for that? Bird played about 900 games, and pretty much all of them were his prime.
I should have clarified that I wasn't necessarily agreeing with him re: Garnett, but just pointing out why he likely got a big boost considering he had a 10 year prime added on to about 6 more seasons of effective play.

This is from Bird's write up:

Quote:

The back injury also limited Bird in the '91 playoffs and render him nearly useless in the '92 postseason. These were critical years for him to provide value to his team that were either completely lost or marginalized thanks to his breaking body. Although, even in those last few seasons, he provided an enormous lift to the Celtics, another indicator of how valuable his passing, spacing and shooting were.
94chem
Scottie Pippen seems too high to me.

For 25,000 points and 20 seasons, seems like Vince Carter might be better than somebody on the list. He was an amazing player for his first 10 - 12 years.
chris1515
AG
A final four of LeBron, Jordan, Kareem, and Bill Russell...sounds about right.
Southlake
Wonder where Magic would have wound up if he didn't have to retire early.
CactusThomas
AG
Wonder where Bird would have ended up if he didn't retire early.
Ulrich
Wonder where Ramon Sessions will end up when his illustrious career as an elite PG concludes.
Guitarsoup
AG
I expect Robert Parish to be in the last few since games played is so important.
superunknown
AG
Ulrich said:

Wonder where Ramon Sessions will end up when his illustrious career as an elite PG concludes.

Nick Collison too.
Saint Pablo
Lebron should be 1
94chem
Kareem is #1.

So, you wanna start your franchise with Garnett or Wilt? Apparently a serious question.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MJ at #2.

This is objectively a bad list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.