Blake Griffin to Pistons for Tobias Harris and Avery Bradley

2,385 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Iowaggie
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
More importantly, Clippers get Boban the Great.
Olsen
AG
Blake leaves before DeAndre.

DeAndre is next.
Guitarsoup
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili
Bunch of contenders ****ed up not grabbing Avery Bradley.
Iowaggie
AG
I wonder if Lou, DJ, and/or Gallinari might be next.
cityagboy
AG
Good deal for the Pistons. With Blake and Drummond on long term contracts they can really build around them.
cityagboy
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

He really could have added a lot to the crappy defense the Cavs play.
PatAg
AG
cityagboy said:

Good deal for the Pistons. With Blake and Drummond on long term contracts they can really build around them.
one will be injured and on the bench most of the time
mavsfan4ever
AG
cityagboy said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

I'm sure clippers will turn around and trade him to a contender.
cityagboy
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

cityagboy said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

I'm sure clippers will turn around and trade him to a contender.
They will only trade him for a draft pick. Otherwise they want that expiring contract.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea that's what I meant. They are obviously in full rebuild mode so will likely try to trade Bradley and deandre for whatever draft picks they can get.
Guitarsoup
AG
94chem
Jordan sheepishly looks at the phone, glances at his mother, and wonders if Mark Cuban would still pick up...
jeffdjohnson
Guitarsoup said:

Good trade for the Clippers. They convinced Griffin to come back and then flipped him for picks/players. I don't trust that a future version of Griffin will be a good player. The Pistons will be paying 30M for a 33 year old version of Griffin in a few years. That is frightening.
CactusThomas
AG
Iowaggie said:

I wonder if Lou, DJ, and/or Gallinari might be next.

Hope DJ is next. Then I can finally stop watching the lolClippers.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This is why I am less and less annoyed with players who leave a franchise to go play for a ring or to play with players they are friends with. The concept that players should be "loyal" to these franchises is laughable. These teams don't give a **** about you.
cityagboy
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

This is why I am less and less annoyed with players who leave a franchise to go play for a ring or to play with players they are friends with. The concept that players should be "loyal" to these franchises is laughable. These teams don't give a **** about you.
Totally agree. I try to view the players as an individual business working with other individual businesses to reach a common goal. When you look at it like that I 100% understand why a guy like KD would go play in a huge market with a great team. It is just a good business decision. These guys also don't have 40 year careers like many of us will. They don't have time to mess around.

It is the leagues responsibility, not the players, for keeping the teams competitive. I would drop the max contract rules, keep minimum contracts and keep the overall salary cap. Then you will have the top 10 or 15 players get HUGE contracts and therefor not allowing "super-teams" unless someone takes WAY below what they are worth.
94chem
Quote:

When you look at it like that I 100% understand why a guy like KD would go play in a huge market with a great team.
It's not KD's business savvy or desire to win a championship that I question. It's his self-respect and pride. If he wants to chase a title, that's his business. It just makes you appreciate the players who stay in one place, continue to be "the man," and rise or fall on their own ability. They are few and far between. Some of them get it (Nowitzski), some don't (Marino). That's how it goes.
cityagboy
AG
94chem said:

Quote:

When you look at it like that I 100% understand why a guy like KD would go play in a huge market with a great team.
It's not KD's business savvy or desire to win a championship that I question. It's his self-respect and pride. If he wants to chase a title, that's his business. It just makes you appreciate the players who stay in one place, continue to be "the man," and rise or fall on their own ability. They are few and far between. Some of them get it (Nowitzski), some don't (Marino). That's how it goes.
I judge their self-respect and pride on how hard they work... not where the work.
Carlo4
AG
94chem said:

Jordan sheepishly looks at the phone, glances at his mother, and wonders if Mark Cuban would still pick up...
Everyone that camped out at his house is now gone... I thought it would have taken a million yearst... old Clippers did it in less than 3.
Obi Wan Ginobili
94chem said:

Quote:

He works in a business where that kind of "pride" will lead to 10 years of 50 win seasons and no rings.

I don't like that he joined an already impossibly good team, but I can't possibly blame him, and I don't think anyone outside of Russell Westbrook should either.
ATM9000
AG
cityagboy said:

Really? This seems like an absolute hail mary by SVG.

Part of it is aside from health, I just don't like Blake Griffin's game much... light rebounding power forward. By 2019-2020 they have Reggie Jackson at 18mm, Drummond with a player option for 28.7mm (so minimum 28.7 for him), and Blake Griffin for 36.5mm... that's $83mm on a projected $120mm cap (143 luxury cap threshold). What that means is you've locked into Blake Griffin as your best player for the next 3 seasons. That big 3 core nearly guarantees that your max potential as a team is the 5th seed in the East. That ain't good.

Combine that with the fact that they shipped draft picks and 3 manageable contracts for Blake's not manageable contract and I believe the Clippers destroyed the Pistons on this deal.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

94chem said:

Quote:

He works in a business where that kind of "pride" will lead to 10 years of 50 win seasons and no rings.

I don't like that he joined an already impossibly good team, but I can't possibly blame him, and I don't think anyone outside of Russell Westbrook should either.
I would typically agree with you, but KD was not a typical situation. His team had the impossibly good team that he joined on the ropes and should have beat them if KD hadn't played awful. Then he joined that impossibly good team. If OKC had gotten swept with KD playing well, I don't think KD would have received as much backlash for leaving OKC.
Iowaggie
AG
ATM9000 said:

cityagboy said:

Really? This seems like an absolute hail mary by SVG.

Part of it is aside from health, I just don't like Blake Griffin's game much... light rebounding power forward. By 2019-2020 they have Reggie Jackson at 18mm, Drummond with a player option for 28.7mm (so minimum 28.7 for him), and Blake Griffin for 36.5mm... that's $83mm on a projected $120mm cap (143 luxury cap threshold). What that means is you've locked into Blake Griffin as your best player for the next 3 seasons. That big 3 core nearly guarantees that your max potential as a team is the 5th seed in the East. That ain't good.

Combine that with the fact that they shipped draft picks and 3 manageable contracts for Blake's not manageable contract and I believe the Clippers destroyed the Pistons on this deal.
I'm not disagreeing with this perspective, but I also understand that the Pistons were probably not going to get a player as good as Blake Griffin in the draft, nor through free agency.
Some places have to overpay to get talent there, and while this deal may hurt Detroit, the course the Pistons were on wasn't going to lead to a title anyway. He's still a top 25 player in the league, when healthy, and they aren't going to get that type of player any other way. The Clippers, at least, can hope to land LeBron and Paul George, but teams like Detroit can't.

I kind of like that a team like Detroit is trying to actually make themselves better instead of just doing the reset button and rely on hope.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.