*****Official MAVS 2017 Offseason Thread*****

10,246 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Guitarsoup
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jesus...

MountainAg99
AG
Just saw that on mavsmoneyball. Holy cow! DSJ should have never slipped to #9 but like Dirk...I am so dang glad he did.
NoahAg
Yawn, another DSJ highlight.
True Anomaly
AG
If anyone had any doubts as to DSJ's play prior to the Summer League, I hope all concerns have been laid to rest after watching this run. Season can't start soon enough
NoahAg
Nerlens not happy with Mav's offer

Or, lack of "serious offer." I wonder what the numbers look like? Frankly, he hasn't done enough to merit a big time contract, but in this NBA, he'll surely get a big payday. I'm fine with the Mavs playing a little hardball here. We're certainly better with him, but it's not worth throwing stupid money at him. It's not like we're hearing other teams making a run at Nerlens.

Or am I missing something?
Guitarsoup
AG
Noel probably should go with a 1y deal and prove himself a little more. Otherwise, he is a 8/6 player with an injury history. Want your long term deal now? You aren't max or anywhere close.
PooDoo
AG
Heard 4 yrs at $17 per year on the radio today.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I really hope the Mavs lowball Nerlens. I'm going to be pretty pissed if we end up paying him anywhere close to 20 million. There is absolutely no reason to give him a big offer at this point. Offer him something like 4/50 or tell him he can play on a one year deal. With his injury concerns and with no other offers, Mavs have all the leverage here.

From what I've seen so far, I'm fine with not keeping him and having a ton of cap space for upcoming years. He's never going to have offensive value so he will have to be a top 3 defensive player in the league to be close to being worth a huge contract. And I've heard he's an idiot who thinks he's much better than what he is. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but these negotiations seem to suggest it may be true.
True Anomaly
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I really hope the Mavs lowball Nerlens. I'm going to be pretty pissed if we end up paying him anywhere close to 20 million. There is absolutely no reason to give him a big offer at this point. Offer him something like 4/50 or tell him he can play on a one year deal. With his injury concerns and with no other offers, Mavs have all the leverage here.

From what I've seen so far, I'm fine with not keeping him and having a ton of cap space for upcoming years. He's never going to have offensive value so he will have to be a top 3 defensive player in the league to be close to being worth a huge contract. And I've heard he's an idiot who thinks he's much better than what he is. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but these negotiations seem to suggest it may be true.
Well, if we were to get Boogie, then yeah I'd be happy too. But there's no guarantee- just like every other f'n time we "save cap space" to go after the big fish
Texas Ag 15
AG
Not saying we have the assets to do it but what would you be willing to give up for Kyrie?

The deal would have to start with DSJ I would assume maybe throw in Matthews and a few veterans?
hph6203
AG
Why would you dump DSJ for Kyrie? DSJ is cheaper, younger, under contract longer and this team isn't gonna be competing for a championship any time soon so there's no way you're retaining Kyrie when his contract is up. Two year rental to watch him develop bad fundamentals and then bounce to wreck another team?
Texas Ag 15
AG
As much as I like DSJ and he's a promising talent Kyrie is a proven guy. If you can get him I think you go all in and see what happens. He could love a place and then recruit guys to come with him.
NoahAg
Brussino, he gone.
hph6203
AG
Kyrie hasn't loved a place since his mama's womb. He was bolting Cleveland until Lebrom returned and now he's ready to bolt again. There is no world in which Kyrie re-ups with the Mavs.
True Anomaly
AG
The only possible veteran target in the next year I'd be interested in pursuing is Boogie, and that's a real stretch as it is. So Kyrie can go somewhere else
mavsfan4ever
AG
Maybe Nerlens will just go play in China this year...still haven't heard any news. No news is good news, bc it means we aren't being dumb and giving him too much money.
Guitarsoup
AG
TBH, letting him walk is better than way overpaying for him.
Iowaggie
AG
Several decent FA bigs have not signed this year yet as the market has bottomed out for them.
Likewise, it really isn't a great time to be a Restricted FA as several players probably thought they had a solid market this offseason haven't received anything.

JaMychal Green, Nikola Mirotic and Mason Plumlee and Alex Len join Noel in just not receiving any meaningful offers as a RFA.

awinlonghorn
i think mavs let nerlens go, tank again, and draft marvin bagley as big man of the future or michael porter as 2g of the future.
True Anomaly
AG
This was not a smart move on his part

mavsfan4ever
AG
I really hope we don't sign him. Would much rather just keep our cap space at this point.
jeffdjohnson
Noel is still a restricted free agent. Mavs hold all the cards here, nothing to worry about. If Noel finds a better offer than 17M then they can choose to let him walk. At this point they only invested Justin Anderson in acquiring Noel. If Noel signs the Qualifying Offer then the Mavs will get him back extremely cheap. If Noel holds out then he remains a RFA next year. The Mavs have no incentive to hurry as they aren't set to compete next year anyways. Noel simply has no leverage at this point.

I would say Noel deserves to be paid around Tristan Thompson money (15M - 17M). He has upside and his game fits in the NBA today. I like Noel a lot as a complementary piece on a good team but he isn't likely to ever score more than 15 PPG or generate offense on his own. Noel will either take a huge gamble by signing the QO, sign a 1 year contract with another team that the Mavs match (a risk for Noel considering his injury history) or take the Mavs 15M - 17M offer over 4+ years and secure himself financially. I'm not sure what is going to happen but the Mavs are in the drivers seat.
Guitarsoup
AG
Good news for Mavs fans:

Teams with cap space right now:

Phoenix: 9mm
Indiana 7.6mm
Sacramento: .6mm
Denver: .3mm
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't even want to offer him 17.5 million per year. I don't see the point bc I agree we have all the leverage. Is he really going to turn down 12-14 million per year and sign a qualifying offer? With his injury history that's a huge risk. I'd make him turn it down and sign the QO if that's what he decides he wants to do.
PatAg
AG
Signs QO for 4mil 1 year.
Works for me.
True Anomaly
AG
PatAg said:

Signs QO for 4mil 1 year.
Works for me.
And apparently, the 17 Mil offer wasn't even on the table- some false reporting.

Regardless, I kinda like this too. Gives us a full year to see how he would integrate and prove himself.
NoahAg
All around good news, and good offseason. Won't translate into a serious run in 17-18, but will be a fun season and building for a post-Dirk future.
fightinags2013
AG
Starters:
DSJ
Wes (ugh)
Barnes
Dirk
Noel
W/ big bench minutes from Curry, lots of Barnes at the 4, Yogi and JJ as your other guards. Finny-Smith & Salah filling out the rest of the rotation. Am I forgetting anyone?

If healthy- they'll be much better than last year- but still nothing too special.
DannyDuberstein
AG
True Anomaly said:

PatAg said:

jSigns QO for 4mil 1 year.
Works for me.
And apparently, the 17 Mil offer wasn't even on the table- some false reporting.

Regardless, I kinda like this too. Gives us a full year to see how he would integrate and prove himself.
i'm hearing the 4/$70 was on the table July 1 but he held off thinking he'd get something closer to a max offer. Didn't take long for the Mavs to see how dry the market was looking, so they pulled the 4/$70.

so saying $17 wasn't on the table is a convenient reputation/face-saving for him and his agent, and technically not untrue when he signed.
PatAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

True Anomaly said:

PatAg said:

jSigns QO for 4mil 1 year.
Works for me.

i'm hearing the 4/$70 was on the table July 1 but he held off thinking he'd get something closer to a max offer. Didn't take long for the Mavs to see how dry the market was looking, so they pulled the 4/$70.

so saying $17 wasn't on the table is a convenient reputation/face-saving for him and his agent, and technically not untrue when he signed.
I've seen more reports like this, as opposed to one person reporting it wasnt on the table in the initial qualifying offer announcement.
PooDoo
AG
I thought I read his agent wanted him to take the $70 but Noel said no and fired the agent. Went with Lebron's guy & had to settle for the qualifying offer.

Mavs should try to protect him, pump up his value, and flip him before the trade deadline.

He's probably going to end up resenting the Mavs and when it comes time to negotiate a new deal be a pain in the ass.

Turn down $70 mil guaranteed before his 27th birthday... what a nut.
fightinags2013
AG
^yup. Crazy. And a history of injuries
Guitarsoup
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.