Prediction Thread - Future of GSW

3,071 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Seven Costanza
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long do you anticipate the Warriors core sticking together? I saw that Durant was willing to take a pay cut to help allow them to hold on to as many people as possible. I see Durant, Curry, Klay, and Draymond all staying together for the foreseeable future. What do you think?
Ganondorf
AG
They can win 4, 5, or even 6 if they stay together. Work on shoe and endorsement deals for everyone to get paid outside of their salary and they can stay together forever and kill the league into there's only GS fans left.
Saint Pablo
I never understood why Bron didn't do that. Reported billion dollar deal from Nike, but still $30 mil a year from Cleveland. Seems odd to me
Obi Wan Ginobili
zk said:

I never understood why Bron didn't do that. Reported billion dollar deal from Nike, but still $30 mil a year from Cleveland. Seems odd to me
Because he's worth about $75 million to them.

Assuming he doesn't sign one of these new supermax deals, he's likely to take a lot less money soon so he can make a push for 6 rings. He's already halfway there. Theres going to be a LOT of arguments flushed down the toilet if he manages to get a 6th or 7th ring when it comes to comparing him to MJ.
04.arch.ag
AG
I wish they would get rid of the max player salary and just have a team cap. That would make the actual best players be paid accordingly. No reason Mike Conley and Lebron to make the same amount. If you want lebron kawhi Westbrook etc you pay them 50-60 mil a year of the 100 mil cap
Saint Pablo
I definitely get his worth. But since he wants rings and he is already set to make a billion dollars, I don't get why he wouldn't take even less money to bring in other players
GatorAg03
AG
Durant and Curry are injury prone. Draymond is undersized so once he loses a step he won't be the defender he is now, but will still keep flapping his mouth.

Even against the full strength warriors, I think the Spurs would have had an outstanding shot had Parker and Kawhi not been hurt. Im curious to see if Cleveland can push them at all. How unbeatable are they really? I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I think they likely have a 2-3 year window. Eventually an injury will derail or personalities conflicts will arise and someone will walk for more money or to make their own name.

Even if they do stay healthy and together, I think the NBA will change the cap rules to break them apart, especially if GSW reels off 2-3 straight easy championships. They already tried to help the small market teams with the max player rules (but it backfired) so there is some precedent.

The tough question is what do you do if you have a superstar in their prime and are good but not great, like SA and Houston. Playing for a WCF appearance is a tough sell to fans and superstars alike.

We are going to either see a ton of rebuilding to be positioned once GSW implodes or more superteams will be formed to try to challenge.

The worst thing for the NBA would be the warriors winning these final in 4 or 5 games and it looking like no end is in sight. As long as the LeBron's are posing a tangible challenge then I think the NBA is content.
Olsen
AG
Well KD is going to stay with the Warriors whether the core stays or not. He won't return to play for OKC. KD doesn't have the same relationship with OKC in comparison with LBJ has for Cleveland.
Pumpkinhead
AG
They will almost certainly return all the key guys for at least 1 more season. Then after that, who knows what life leads to.

But if they win an NBA title this season and next season, which would be 3 NBA titles out of a 4 year period...it still is an amazing 'Dynasty' level run and they are certainly the hottest show in town right now.

Obviously it will end at some point, but kudos to Golden State making a lot of right decisions and also getting lucky with the timing of the cap spike to build that current team and go on this run that they have been on for 3 years now.
Pumpkinhead
AG
GatorAg03 said:

The tough question is what do you do if you have a superstar in their prime and are good but not great, like SA and Houston. Playing for a WCF appearance is a tough sell to fans and superstars alike.
You end up being the Utah Jazz back in the 90's with Stockton and Malone. Great players on a really good team led by one of the best coaches in the NBA (at the time). But their star's era coincided with the Jordan-led Bulls era so they never won an NBA title. Just luck of the draw.

Frok
AG
Egos will drive them apart.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
Which player? They all play pretty unselfishly.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The nba is overpaying and is in trouble

It was always a wrestling type sport and it is in trouble

Obi Wan Ginobili
MookieBlaylock said:

The nba is overpaying and is in trouble

It was always a wrestling type sport and it is in trouble

They pay players half of the basketball related income. Does that seem unfair to you?
Post removed:
by user
Frok
AG
AggieSportsGuy said:

Give it time. Klay Thompson has been moved to role player pretty much. I'll say he's the first to leave.
Pumpkinhead
AG
SheriffBarclay said:

so going to gsw and riding curry coattails was really his best bet.
Durant had 38 points and 8 assists last night. He was the best player on the floor in Game 1. He obviously made it easier on himself playing with Curry/Green/Thompson who actually pass the ball around rather than the ultra ball hoggish Westbrook, but he isn't really riding 'coattails' in the way that phrase is typically used, because the guy is really really good and he kicked some major ass last night. He is also making life easier for his teammates just as they are for him.
QBCade
AG
Frok said:

AggieSportsGuy said:

Give it time. Klay Thompson has been moved to role player pretty much. I'll say he's the first to leave.

Huh? Dude got 16 shots, he was just ice cold. He is also benefiting from KD being there as he's getting more open looks. Just has to start hitting them.
Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

AggieSportsGuy said:

His FGA per game went up from this year to last. They're a little down for the playoffs, but he hasn't been shooting well and he's playing slightly fewer minutes (blowouts).
Pumpkinhead
AG
The ESPN NBA Lockdown guys answered a mailbag question today asking whom of GSW's 4 All-Stars did they see leaving the team first, and those guys didn't seem to feel that any of the four were likely to leave for the next few years.

They think Durant, Curry, Green, and Thompson are all really happy right now and that they know that they have a dream situation playing together in Golden State. As long as the Warriors ownership is willing to pay the luxury taxes to keep them all reasonably compensated, several guys in the media seem to feel that Golden State's current run is going to last quite awhile longer.
Seven Costanza
AG
Thompson doesn't strike me as the type that necessarily wants to be the alpha dog on another team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.