Greg Popovich 2020

3,547 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
SilverTongueDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been critical of Popovich but obviously the guy has his convictions.

I don't think I could disagree more with his opinions but he does seem to care so there's that.
Deluxe
AG
Pop-Kerr 2020
gordo97
AG
Based on that rationale.....

Barkley/Shaq 2020
bam02
AG
He comes off as a petulant whiner.

I agree he has convictions and I respect that, but he never used to go on long political rants. I realize people are now asking him political questions, but Pop doesn't answer anything he doesn't want to.

Now all of a sudden all these social injustices are so dire he has to opine. Gimme a break.
SilverTongueDevil
bam02 said:

I agree he has convictions and I respect that, but he never used to go on long political rants. I realize people are now asking him political questions, but Pop doesn't answer anything he doesn't want to.

Now all of a sudden all these social injustices are so dire he has to opine. Gimme a break.
But....But he has a degree in Soviet Studies so that makes him an expert on the ability of our current president and the overall state of affairs in our country.
Deputy Travis Junior
bam02 said:

If you're looking for insights into race relations and differing racial experiences, I think you could do a hell of a lot worse than a highly intelligent, white, lifelong basketball coach with a background in intelligence (intelligence analysis requires understanding leaders, populations, and national moods).

All the people who've played with Pop say that he works very hard to learn about and understand them on a deep level, and a huge number of black basketball players grew up in low-income, inner-city neighborhoods with crappy schools. That's a vastly different experience than what us suburb & country boys had. Put that mindset and his interactions together, and you've got a person who is uniquely qualified to compare the racial experiences, identify differences, and relate them to those of who haven't run in the same circles.

You don't have to agree with everything Pop says, and you don't have to think that everybody from a different race is a victim, but at minimum you should listen. He's talked to a lot of people over the years and gained a lot of knowledge.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People who disrespect Pop need to STFU.
BBQ4Me
AG
He's more qualified and would do a hell of a lot better than the clown show we have right now
bam02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

People who disrespect Pop need to STFU.

I actually never could stand Pop's schtick even before he chose to voice his politics. I am sure as hell glad he coaches the Spurs, though. He's an amazing coach and brilliant guy.
Ag Natural
AG
bam02 said:

You do realize Pop has always worked behind the scenes on social issues he just hardly spoke publicly about it because it's not a PR move for him and he doesn't want attention.

I guess he changed his mind and now he figures let's talk.
BigBrother
AG
Pop is being disrespectful.
bam02
AG
Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

You do realize Pop has always worked behind the scenes on social issues he just hardly spoke publicly about it because it's not a PR move for him and he doesn't want attention.

I do realize that and intended to acknowledge thatin my post, but maybe I didn't. I've always known his politics and always thought it was funny and cool that he and Holt were on opposite ends of the spectrum but didn't seem to affect their relationship (at least their professional one).

He's being very vocal now simply because his candidate lost the election. That's petulant. Theses social issues didn't start with the election.
Ag Natural
AG
bam02 said:

Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

I do realize that and intended to acknowledge thatin my post, but maybe I didn't. I've always known his politics and always thought it was funny and cool that he and Holt were on opposite ends of the spectrum but didn't seem to affect their relationship (at least their professional one).

He's being very vocal now simply because his candidate lost the election. That's petulant. Theses social issues didn't start with the election.

That's not true at all. Pop was pretty outspoken about his disdain for both candidates before the election. I'm sure he considered her a lesser of two evils but he doesn't give a rip about Hilary.
SilverTongueDevil
Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

That's not true at all. Pop was pretty outspoken about his disdain for both candidates before the election. I'm sure he considered her a lesser of two evils but he doesn't give a rip about Hilary.
So I guess what you are implying is that he would ranting if Hillary had been elected too? The way he's coming off I have a hard time believing that.
I think part of this is that NBA teams are largely made up of minorities as his is much of the Spurs fan base in SA. Is he pandering? I cant say that for sure but I would not be surprised.
Ag Natural
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

Ag Natural said:

bam02 said:

So I guess what you are implying is that he would ranting if Hillary had been elected too? The way he's coming off I have a hard time believing that.
I think part of this is that NBA teams are largely made up of minorities as his is much of the Spurs fan base in SA. Is he pandering? I cant say that for sure but I would not be surprised.

I don't know his motivations. I was Just disputing The "His Candidate lost" wave off. If you listen, he's not suggesting any solution other than Trump becoming the leader we need him to be. That's not sour grapes, that is pointing out your concerns. I think every American would hope we don't get campaign Trump for 4 years.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I actually like pop more now
SanAntonio
AG
Its because Peter Holt isn't on the scene and is loosening his hold on Pop
amercer
AG
Good story on Pop in the Washington Post this morning
tbirdspur2010
AG
Love what Pop has done for my Spurs, and respect his right to voice his opinion.

Would rather he not denigrate the millions of us in his fanbase that voted for a candidate he did not prefer, but I guess he feels he has the professional capital at this point to speak his mind.
Deputy Travis Junior
Has he criticized people who voted for Trump? I know he's attacked several of Trump's actions and stances, but wasn't aware that he'd gone after his supporters.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Has he criticized people who voted for Trump?

Yes.

And, again, that's his prerogative to spend his bountiful professional capital as he sees fit (he wasn't popping off about politics when he was a much-maligned, struggling head coach who angered many by installing himself as GM/HC the way he did).

I just think when it comes to an entertainment platform such as sports that brings so many people of different stripes together to support your efforts, its kinda odd to choose to alienate basically half your audience by jumping into political topics. No matter what stance you take, you're going to piss off a significant number of folks who are in your corner otherwise. Even if if I agreed with Pop, I'd prefer he keep the focus on the unifying game of basketball. There's enough partisan rhetoric floating around as is, you know?
BBQ4Me
AG
This is what he said about people who voted for Trump:
"Not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor and tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, and I live in that country where half the country ignored all that to elect someone. That's the scariest part of the whole thing to me."

Does that really offend you?
tbirdspur2010
AG
I never said I was offended lol.

Pop can say whatever he wants as long as he successfully brings us River Parade Numero Seis here in SA. Just my take on him delving into politics. Same position I hold for most folks in entertainment tbh.

ETA: Btw, I've probably told you this before, but your name always stands out to me because my dad is an Aggie and my mom is a Wolverine. Go Blue!
BBQ4Me
AG
My apologies for erroneously interpreting your post as you being offended. It didn't seem like Pop was being too critical beyond wishing that voters didn't dismiss the "xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic" comments from Trump.

I don't see anyone beating GS especially if GS can somehow get Bogut. But if there's any coach that can do it, it's Pop.

Smart parents! Good thing UM and TAMU rarely play each other in sports.
Deputy Travis Junior
UMichAg said:

"Not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor and tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, and I live in that country where half the country ignored all that to elect someone. That's the scariest part of the whole thing to me."

I can see where he's coming from, but once Trump made it through the primaries, it was basically a two horse race unless you're willing to do a third party protest vote (what I did, but I don't blame people for not taking the same path).

Trump has a lot of warts, but Hillary was a pretty horrific candidate herself, and her "degenerates" statement was not much/no less insulting or offensive. I think it's pretty silly to stand there and castigate one group for voting for a jerk while ignoring the people on the other side who also voted for a jerk.
tbirdspur2010
AG
No worries, I didn't explain my position very well in my first post now that I look back at it.

And hell yeah about TAMU/UM. My family went to the last football game they played against each other (Alamo bowl here in San Antonio, as I'm sure you already knew lol). I was a kid but i remember wearing an Aggie shirt and Michigan pants haha.
tbirdspur2010
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

UMichAg said:

I can see where he's coming from, but once Trump made it through the primaries, it was basically a two horse race unless you're willing to do a third party protest vote (what I did, but I don't blame people for not taking the same path).

Trump has a lot of warts, but Hillary was a pretty horrific candidate herself, and her "degenerates" statement was not much/no less insulting or offensive. I think it's pretty silly to stand there and castigate one group for voting for a jerk while ignoring the people on the other side who also voted for a jerk.

Well said. This past election, more than most, was one of those "lesser of two evils" affairs for voters on both sides. The two party system we have is woefully inadequate (not to mention not a constitutional mandate), and it showed in 2016.

Even as a conservative myself (with a healthy dose of libertarian thrown in just to keep things interesting), I wasn't all in for Trump until late in the game (my personal preference was Carson--biased because I'd followed his story well before he entered the political arena, and of course as a black man myself, it was heartening to see someone of my melanin level on the side of the ticket I favor).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.