Bill Simmons' HBO show cancelled.

3,393 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texags is garbage
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.si.com/tech-media/2016/11/06/bill-simmons-hbo-tv-future-media-circus

Made it 17 episodes and had less than 100k viewers for some.
Good Poster
AG
It was a really bad show. He had some all star guests but honestly it just wasn't that entertaining.
jeffdjohnson
It was basically like watching a live podcast taping. I don't think anything would have worked since he is not a comedian. It's fine to listen to on your headphones at work but it isn't interesting to watch.

He needed to make a 30 for 30 type show. Where he investigated or did a deep dive on one sports story per week. I'm not sure why they went the route they did.
MGS
Not enough nudity and they needed to kill off one of the main characters during the first season.
Matsui
AG
Another ESPN personality that another network thinks will bring a massive following. Didn't happen.
Guitarsoup
AG
Matsui said:

Another ESPN personality that another network thinks will bring a massive following. Didn't happen.
I think he brings a big following, but he has always been terrible on TV.
WES2006AG
AG
I like Bill and watched the first 3 episodes. The show format just wasn't good. Too many of the interviews were not really engaging. He will get a shot somewhere else, this venture just didn't work out.
RebAg13
AG
I only watched when he had good guests, I enjoy the podcast for his opinions
Guitarsoup
AG
WES2006AG said:

I like Bill and watched the first 3 episodes. The show format just wasn't good. Too many of the interviews were not really engaging. He will get a shot somewhere else, this venture just didn't work out.
He's still with HBO. Supposedly doing a 30 for 30 ish thing there as well.
PatAg
AG
He picks great topics for docs(or at least chooses wisely from ones provided) and he has an excellent ability to find and promote new talent. He's not a comedian, but he is definitely very funny in written word.

Just not sure if you can really monetize his articles very well, and the podcasts are good but again, not sure if the money compares to doing tv.
Ag Natural
AG
I'm an avid podcast listener and I like some of the Ringer spin offs as well. But his TV show was not good. AS stated here, he's just not good on screen right now and I think the original plan was to give him 50 to 80 episodes to work it out. Unfortunately the guy that hired him left HBO. BILL will be fine though, he signed a 3 year 25 million deal and will have a chance to do creative work there.
Seven Costanza
AG
I've been listening to his podcast for years, but I never had any interest in his show, even before it aired. It's similar to listening to music; I'll listen to music while driving, working out, or doing something else, but I'm not going to sit down and watch music videos for 30 minutes.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Bill's podcasts are great, but he sucks at TV. Don't think that's ever going to change.
Guitarsoup
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I've been listening to his podcast for years, but I never had any interest in his show, even before it aired. It's similar to listening to music; I'll listen to music while driving, working out, or doing something else, but I'm not going to sit down and watch music videos for 30 minutes.

Would you sit down and watch Blurred Lines for 30 minutes?
ATM9000
AG
Most men can't watch Blurred Lines for 30 minutes...
Guitarsoup
AG
ATM9000 said:

Most men can't watch Blurred Lines for 30 minutes...

Not with that attitude, but it's worth a try
Texags is garbage
Damn, used to make it a point to watch that show, but legitimately forgot about it completely out of nowhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.