**Official San Antonio Spurs 2016-2017 Race For Seis**Staff Warning on OP

284,182 Views | 3630 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GatorAg03
Obi Wan Ginobili
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the 5 championships, Timmy. You're the reason San Antonio still has a basketball team.

Welcome to the new faces who have some large, outdated Adidas to fill.

Training Camp Roster (Minus Ryan Richards)

2016-2017 Season Schedule

Link To Schedule on ESPN

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/schedule/_/name/sa/seasontype/2

[This thread is for fans of the Spurs to discuss the season and games. Posters that troll this thread will get a ban of 30 days. There is your warning. If you don't read it, that is your problem. Spurs fans are encouraged to use the voting function to alert us to trolling posts. -Staff]

[THIS WARNING HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE. -Staff]

saltydog13
AG
Ready to get this season started. Looks like a tough last 2 weeks of the season.
Guitarsoup
Ag Natural
AG
Excited to see some of the new guys.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I've got high hopes for Murray. The kid can play. Even in his first preseason game he showed a great ability to get to the hoop and made some really good passes. I fully expect Parker to decline further this year, so I really hope Murray can develop into something special.

Also excited to see if Bertans can fight for minutes. I'm not sold on Anderson or Simmons at all. Especially Simmons.
2008and1
AG
I've been hoping someone would start a season thread!

I am actually really excited to watch the team this year and see how we transition from Timmy. I remember thinking we would never win a championship again after David left and we won one 2 years later.

Kawhi will never be as dominant as Timmy, but I'm excited to see him play the alpha.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I've got high hopes for Murray. The kid can play. Even in his first preseason game he showed a great ability to get to the hoop and made some really good passes. I fully expect Parker to decline further this year, so I really hope Murray can develop into something special.

Also excited to see if Bertans can fight for minutes. I'm not sold on Anderson or Simmons at all. Especially Simmons.
Bertans looks like a spot up shooter right now. Plus he's tall so Pop will probably play him at the 4. That wouldn't effect Anderson or Simmons much.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Quote:

I'm not sold on Anderson or Simmons at all. Especially Simmons.

Pop said that something clicked with Simmons since the end of last season. The light bulb finally lit up. He's physically capable of being a productive 20-25 minutes a night guy, but the question has always been if the wheels in his head were turning.

I've never been big on Anderson, but I suppose he is useful as a wrench you can throw at the other teams bench guys. He's tall enough to cause trouble for smaller guards, and athletic enough to give back up bigs an issue.
Ganondorf
AG
In. Haven't watched any preseason stuff yet.
West Texan
AG
Checking in!

This is the first season I can remember without Duncan. As sad as that makes me, I'm very excited and optimistic for what the new look Spurs have to offer. Pau should be able to pick up where Timmy left off, and hopefully more of our young guys take a step forward to help pick up the slack.
tbirdspur2010
AG
In.

Damn it's so weird knowing #21 won't be on the floor (and never will be again). Excited to watch the new guys.

GSG
dave99ag
AG
Go Spurs Go!!!
Matsui
TheDino
AG
So pumped.

Go Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
By the way they are playing, to me it looks like the final roster spot is gonna be down to Laprovittola and Forbes.

I have no idea why Jean-Charles has a guaranteed contract. He doesn't look NBA ready at all. He should have been stashed away a lot longer. Even his French League numbers aren't that great. Just seems to be a waste of a roster spot.
aggieactor01
AG
In. Can't wait to see these guys in person on the 21st.
Code Maroon 12
AG
Anyone know if the game tonight is on TV or streaming anywhere?
Polska
AG
Stompele
Cappo
AG
E!SPN reporting we may not have LMA by the end of the year saying "experiment hasn't worked"

It's been 1 season...
Guitarsoup
AG
demack06 said:

E!SPN reporting we may not have LMA by the end of the year saying "experiment hasn't worked"

It's been 1 season...
1 season where they won 67 games, a team record.
Obi Wan Ginobili
demack06 said:

It's been 1 season...

Are you referring to the Zach Lowe piece? If so, that's not at all what he said.

From his "30 Crazy Predictions" piece on ESPN.

Quote:

9. LaMarcus Aldridge's name will surface in trade talks

The Spurs are self-aware. I have a hunch they know this is something of a placeholder season, and that without some injury luck swinging their way at the right time, they are a tier below Golden State. Aldridge is 31, six years older than Kawhi Leonard, and his trade value will never be higher; he can opt out of his contract after the 2017-18 season.

The Spurs will see if this team outperforms expectations. If it doesn't, theyshould take calls on Aldridge. He's really good, and there are a lot of impatient owners chasing immediate gratification. If opportunism meets desperation, the Spurs could fleece some rival and restock with a bundle of assets that better line up with Leonard's timetable.

The Lakers have a ton of young talent -- and top decision-makers clinging to jobs. Aldridge almost signed in Phoenix, and Suns owner Robert Sarver is dying to get back to the playoffs. They have a stockpile of prospects stuck behind fogies and mid-career guys, plus those extra Miami picks. Dallas and Houston will always look, even with Dirk Nowitzki and Ryan Anderson slotted into Aldridge's nominal position (and not much to trade beyond future picks). Maybe Toronto goes for it. Maybe Oklahoma City reloads.

The odds are against any deal happening. Signing Gasol to a two-year deal (with a player option for 2017-18) is something of an all-in move, and even if Gasol opts out after this season, the Aldridge-Leonard combo is a shiny lure for free agents. But if the season unfolds the wrong way, here's betting the Spurs at least listen.
Ag Natural
AG
So youre reporting Lowes crazy predictions as news?

The funny part about this is the Spurs have never managed assets like this so why would they now? I guess if the season is going poorly but that isn't going to happen.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't have a problem with what Lowe said.

It would have to be a pretty amazing deal to move TheMarcus
Sher Thing
AG
The LaMarcus rumors are apparently going to just have to run its course. That's journalism for you these days... make things up from thin air. Terrible.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

The LaMarcus rumors are apparently going to just have to run its course. That's journalism for you these days... make things up from thin air. Terrible.
Lowe didn't make up any rumors. He said if the Spurs are clear that LMA+KL aren't going to win a title the Spurs SHOULD take offers on LMA.

There is no made up anything.
Sher Thing
AG
Not talking about Lowe. Talking about McMullen earlier today. ]

Anyway, Jabari Young of the EN confirmed the Spurs are open to trading him. Obviously something going on in the background.
Ag Natural
AG
Sher Thing said:

Anyway, Jabari Young of the EN confirmed the Spurs are open to trading him. Obviously something going on in the background.
Right. Its obvious that the club who never has leaks all of a sudden has a leak.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I hadn't seen that.

I would bet you Pop is open to trading anyone on the team if it makes the team better. Sure, they would probably say they wouldn't trade Kawhi, but I bet they would if the right package came along. And it would have to be a ****ing great package.
tbone421998
tbone421998
AG
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/With-trade-rumors-surfacing-Aldridge-s-future-9981115.php?utm_source=WhatCountsEmail&utm_medium=mySA%20-%20Spurs%20Nation&utm_campaign=mySA%20-%20Spurs%20Breaking/One-off

One of those days, let's try this again.
Quote:

In the start of year two, it appears the LaMarcus Aldridge experiment in San Antonio is in danger of collapsing.
The Express-News has been informed the Spurs are open to trading the former Longhorn should the right package surface.
Recent comments from ESPN.com's Jackie MacMullan, who is well-sourced in NBA circles, suggest the Spurs could trade Aldridge before the end of the season.

Speaking to CSNNE.com's Early Edition, MacMullan said the addition of Aldridge has not worked out like the Spurs hoped.
Asked if she would want Aldridge to come to the Boston Celtics, who are loaded with draft picks, MacMullan responded: "No. Not after what I heard the other day I don't. Of course, you would take him on if you could because he's an automatic double-double. But there's just some things about him. There is some stuff going on maybe."
This isn't the first time rumors surrounding Aldridge's future with San Antonio have surfaced. Last season, there were rumblings in NBA circles that Aldridge wanted to be traded before the All-Star break, maybe to a team like the Cleveland Cavaliers. The Spurs didn't bite, though, won 67 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

Those close to the situation suggest Aldridge may not be happy at the moment. The belief is the Spurs pitched him on becoming the center of their offense when they recruited him in 2015, and that hasn't occurred with the rise of Kawhi Leonard.
If you recall, Aldridge went through a similar situation with the Trail Blazers. Though there was no serious turmoil between the two, Aldridge wasn't exactly thrilled with the accession and eventual takeover by Damian Lillard as the face of the franchise.
Some in NBA circles speculate Aldridge may not be with the Spurs by the end of his deal, which runs through the end of next season, with a player option worth roughly $22 million for the 2018-19 season.
Could the Phoenix Suns re-emerge as a potential suitor for Aldridge's services? Head coach Earl Watson played with Aldridge in Portland and the two are said to be close. Maybe Danny Ainge would unload some of those draft picks in a deal to bring Aldridge to Boston.
Sounds like Aldridge maybe a bit of a problem not being the face of the franchise. At least the Spurs should get a good package if they do trade him.
Guitarsoup
AG
Maybe LMA should nut up and put his back to the basket and earn some points. He signed with a team that had the greatest PF that ever played ball, a Finals MVP that is significantly younger than he is and two former all-stars that have been with the team for over a deacade and extremely popular in San Antonio. What exactly was he expecting?
Ag Natural
AG
I'm sorry but just about every bit of that seems completely made up to me.

For starters, Aldridge IS the center piece of the offense and he was exactly that in the playoffs last year.

Secondly, he was getting widely criticized from the outside last year and one point finally shut down hit twitter account. Meanwhile, internally they did nothing but support and encourage him. Hell, the team openly asked him to be more selfish on the offensive end.

If the question is will Pop trade a guy... of course the answer is yes. But I would bet a significant amount of money that any speculation that the "experiment has failed" is absurd. Especially when you look up and the season hasn't even started. So they are saying LMA got grumpy over the offseason or in training camp? really? Yeah it doesn't add up.
tbirdspur2010
AG
I DEMAND answers this day
2008and1
AG
I think the HEB commercials will be really telling about what is going on.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Spurs denied Jackie McMullins' report and said they have never talked with any team about trading LMA.
Last Page
Page 1 of 104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.