NBA Changes Hack Rules

3,862 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Guitarsoup
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The current rule for away-from-the-play fouls applicable to the last two minutes of the fourth period (and last two minutes of any overtime) pursuant to which the fouled team is awarded one free throw and retains possession of the ball will be extended to the last two minutes of each period.

For inbounds situations, a defensive foul at any point during the game that occurs before the ball is released by the inbounder (including a "legitimate" or "natural" basketball action such as a defender fighting through a screen) will be administered in the same fashion as an away-from-the-play foul committed during the last two minutes of any period (i.e., one free throw and possession of the ball).

The flagrant foul rules will be used to protect against any dangerous or excessively hard deliberate fouls. In particular, it will presumptively be considered a flagrant foul if a player jumps on an opponent's back to commit a deliberate foul. Previously, these type of fouls were subject to being called flagrant but were not automatic.
k20dub
AG
Kinda odd that they're doing it just in the last two minutes of each quarter.
WES2006AG
AG
A step in the right direction. Hopefully next summer there will be enough support to put an end to the "hack-a-_______" strategy forever.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Kinda odd that they're doing it just in the last two minutes of each quarter.
Most teams only really do it when the other team is in the bonus, so the last two minutes is the time most likely to be in the bonus.
Guitarsoup
AG
Instead of coddling players that can't accomplish basic fundamentals at far sub-par rates, they should penalize them. Enter a game shooting below 50% from the line and every time you are hacked, it is 1 and 1. Gets it over quicker.

Make 50% of your FTs and the entire strategy is pretty much moot anyway for most teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:

For inbounds situations, a defensive foul at any point during the game that occurs before the ball is released by the inbounder (including a "legitimate" or "natural" basketball action such as a defender fighting through a screen) will be administered in the same fashion as an away-from-the-play foul committed during the last two minutes of any period (i.e., one free throw and possession of the ball). [\quote]

This seems beyond dumb. So even if the foul is clearly not on purpose and even if it's on a good free throw shooter, it's still one free throw and the ball? It's going to be much much easier to get the ball inbounds bc teams will be scared of fouling. That, or refs will be scared of calling a foul, so maybe it will be harder to get the ball in. Either way, really dumb rule.

mavsfan4ever
AG
Not sure how I quoted my response
BBQ4Me
AG
I know it can make some games unwatchable (and the NBA is foremost an entertainment entity), but I don't like changing the rules for a couple guys who suck at a basic skill
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I know it can make some games unwatchable (and the NBA is foremost an entertainment entity), but I don't like changing the rules for a couple guys who suck at a basic skill
Iowaggie
AG
I would rather watch Dwight Howard get hacked right away to start an offensive possession than see James Harden dribble for 5 seconds, drive the ball down the lane, flail arms out, whip head back, and receive the foul call and go shoot free throws.

I would rather watch DeAndre Jordan get hacked right away to start an offensive possession than see CP3 dribble into another teams big guy, flail into a 360 spin, and receive the foul call and go shoot free throws.

I would even rather watch Andre Drummond get hacked right away to start an offensive possession than watch the 76ers get rewarded for whatever they put on the floor for the last 3 years.

This rule is about 3 players that could actually do something about the situation they find themselves in.

Chipotlemonger
AG
NBA doing everything it can do lose legit basketball fans.
jeffdjohnson
When a team made it to the "bonus" there was an implication that it was a positive thing. The rule was intended to punish a team that fouls too much. The spirit of the rule was being violated by teams who purposely foul poor free throw shooters. Therefore amending the rule to maintain original intent is completely rational.

I believe that the "fix" to this issue is extremely simple. When a team is in the bonus and a player is fouled *off the ball* then an option to decline free throws should be presented. This maintains the spirit of the rule (a "bonus") and allows the rules to be the same for all 48 minutes.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hacking strategy is the same as running RB routes against a team with linebackers that suck in coverage. It is exploiting a weakness in the fundamental abilities of your opponent.

Last year, the average FT shooter made 76% of their FTs. Which would mean if an average FT shooter was hacked, you would expect them to score 1.52 points per possession.

The average NBA team scores 1.064 points per possession, which means on an average team, a 54% FT shooter will beat the Hack-A-player completely by delivering 1.08 points per possession. 1.08 points per possession puts you in the top third of teams offensively. Make 55% of your FTs and you are more efficient at scoring than every team except Golden State and Oklahoma City

So out of 122 NBA players qualified to lead the league in FT%, how many shot below that magic number of 54%? Three. That's it. This rule was instituted to protect three NBA players because while the rest of the league can make at least a minimal amount of 55%.

Take it even further. Let's say a rotational player can average 2 FTs over 70 of 82 games - that's 140 FTs shot over the entire season. How many NBA players couldn't make 54%? How many rotational players couldn't make 54%? Four. What if we bump it to 55%? Still 4. 57%? Still 4. Shooting FTs at 57%, gives you a an expected offense the equivalent of Golden State or Oklahoma City - the top two offenses in the league. And only 4 players that shot at least 140 FTs (2FTA for 70 of the 82 games or 1.7 for all 82 games) can't do that.
Farmer1906
AG
Clint Capela says thanks.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Clint Capela says thanks.
He's one of the only four players with 140+ FTs that can't hit 55%. The others are DJ, Dwightmare and Drummond.

Drop to 1.3/game over 82 games (110 min) and you add Festivus. So five guys with 110FTA last year couldn't hit 55%.

Drop it all the way to 60 FTA (.73 FTA/game) and these are the guys that can't hit 55%:

Dwight
Dandre
Drummond
Capela
Festivus
Thomas Robinson
JJ Hickson

277 NBA players (about 9.2 per team) shot 60 or more FTs last year. SEVEN of 277 players couldn't hit 55% of their FTs. But we are changing the rules to protect those seven players? Incredibly stupid.
mavsfan4ever
AG
You don't even need to shoot 54% when you factor in that you will get some offensive rebounds and the other team will never get fast break points from the free throws. The hacking strategy is almost always -ev so it's usually not a good idea for coaches to do it.
Guitarsoup
AG
But it will often result in the coach removing Jordan or Howard, which is EV+++
jeffdjohnson
quote:
Hacking strategy is the same as running RB routes against a team with linebackers that suck in coverage. It is exploiting a weakness in the fundamental abilities of your opponent.

I think it is similar but ultimately not the same. Linebackers have to physically defend the RB in this analogy. In this case we (the viewers of sports media) are entertained watching these athletes compete against each other. In the case of "Hack-A" there is no competition to witness. "Hack-A" might literally be the only professional sporting strategy that I could successfully complete. DeAndre seems nice, I could go give him a hug if I were subbed into an NBA game.

While there may only be 3 players impacted it still affects a large number of games. For instance the Mavericks played DeAndre 4 times, Dwight 4 times and Drummond 2 times. That is almost 10% of the schedule in which Carslisle will employ the "Hack-A" strategy.

Ultimately the biggest sin is that the "Hack-A" strategy is not entertaining. The NBA is fast paced and fun to watch. It is bizarre that an arbitrary rule causes the best athletes in the world to play tag then grudgingly walk down to the end of the court so that 3 players can brick free throws. Ultimately the entire charade only nets a team about a 0.05 - 0.10 points per possession gain. I don't blame the coaches for taking any advantage available to them. I also don't blame the NBA from trying to maintain the spirit of the arbitrary rule.
Guitarsoup
AG
Andre Drummond is so terrible at FTs, his expected rate is .71 points per possession. The Pistons as a team were about average at 1.061 points per possession. That's a HUGE increase for the defense. A little bit of FT shooting goes a long way.

If shooting under handed didn't provide an easy, effective way to shoot over 55%, I would agree to change rules just for the entertainment aspect. But the only reason the players don't do that is vanity. If they did, the hacking strategy would not at all be used because it wouldn't be effective at all.
GatorAg03
AG
And the argument that it gives an advantage to the fouling team, still exists by allowing fouls to stop the clock and provide more possessions at the end of games. If the intent was to ensure the fouling team gained no advantage, then the NBA needs to address fouling at end of games as well (which would completely upheive end of game strategy as we know it). Can't have it bith ways using that logic.
Cappo
AG
Make your damn FREE throws
mavsfan4ever
AG
quote:
In reply to mavsfan4ever
But it will often result in the coach removing Jordan or Howard, which is EV+++ 1

True, but that just shows some coaches are dumb. Hacking is +ev for the team getting hacked overall and they decide to take out their bad free throw shooter.

Obviously, there are times when hacking may be +ev for the hacking team, but those are very few and far between. It's absolutely insane that some teams will hack the worst shooter on a team, even if he's like a 62% shooter.
PatAg
AG
Sometime's it's also a side bonus to break up the rhythm of the other team.
PatAg
AG
I also didn't think there were actually any fans out there that were in favor of this change.
Good Poster
AG
Didn't read entire thread but rule change won't really change much. If teams can't foul under 2 they will just foul over two. Doesn't change much about the game imo.
Andy07
AG
The casual fan dollar definitely dictated this decision.

I think it hurts the integrity of the game but the NBA has made it clear in the past they will mold the game for entertainment purposes.
Ag Natural
AG
quote:
Didn't read entire thread but rule change won't really change much. If teams can't foul under 2 they will just foul over two. Doesn't change much about the game imo.

This is true. The change here isn't all that significant. If you want to hack you still can,just not under 2 minutes.
Guitarsoup
AG
That's when hacks are most likely bc it is when teams are most likely to be in the bonus.
Good Poster
AG
But if teams choose to leave bad FT shooters in the game when clock is greater than 2:00 they can still hack. It is more likely teams will be in bonus as you get later in quarter, yes, but teams could push teams into bonus if a few quick fouls happen here or there. Then team has to sub out or only have bad FT shooter in game for last two minutes of quarter. Hacking can still be done pretty easily with rule change, teams who choose to use that strategy just need to alter how they do it.
amercer
AG
Making free throws is part of the game.

HOWEVER, intentionally fouling people away from the ball is not. A foul is a physical act that's part of a physical game. It shouldn't happen on purpose, and it certainly shouldn't happen outside of the context of actual game play.

By all means don't let Dwight dunk it, make him earn it at the line. But whacking some guy in the backcourt 40 feet from the ball? That's not basketball.
GatorAg03
AG
By that logic the last two minutes of every bball game when there are a ton of fouls to stop the clock and gain possession, is not basketball.
amercer
AG
quote:
By that logic the last two minutes of every bball game when there are a ton of fouls to stop the clock and gain possession, is not basketball.

And?
amercer
AG
Plus I would argue that fouling in an attempt to steal the ball is part of the game. Stealing the ball gives you extra possession, just as stoping the clock does.

Also, as we proved in the tourney, not fouling is the way to go...
PatAg
AG
I think Pop should make a stand, and just foul all of his players out, off the ball, in the first quarter. Just wait until there are 2 minutes left, and never stop fouling.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.