If Lebron gets #3 this year?

10,509 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Guitarsoup
letters at random
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many more rings will he need to convince you that he's the greatest player over the course of a career in history?
PatAg
AG
....how many did Jordan have again?
BBQ4Me
AG
Determining a player's greatness solely by the number of championships is great for individual sports, not for team sports
letters at random
quote:
Determining a player's greatness solely by the number of championships is great for individual sports, not for team sports

Absolutely true. Lebron, for most of his cateer, hasn't had the supporting cast Jordan did.
TexAgs1992
In my opinion, the top 5 NBA players of all time are:

1. Jordan
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Magic
5. Lebron

If Lebron wins another championship (whether this year or later on in his career), he surpasses Magic. If he wins two more, he surpasses Bird. I think championships are not the number one factor in a player's ranking, but I do think it matters. To get close to Jordan, he'll need to win another three titles. It would be really cool to see, but I'm not sure if he'll do it.
ATM9000
AG
No Kareem? Your list sucks.

Kareem is a top 3 player all time. Bird top 10 but I don't see how anyone looks at his resume and puts him top 5 at this point.
Aggie Bus Operator
quote:
No Kareem? Your list sucks.

Kareem is a top 3 player all time. Bird top 10 but I don't see how anyone looks at his resume and puts him top 5 at this point.

Duncan?
Ag12thman
AG
quote:
In my opinion, the top 5 NBA players of all time are:

1. Jordan
2. Russell
3. Bird
4. Magic
5. Lebron

If Lebron wins another championship (whether this year or later on in his career), he surpasses Magic. If he wins two more, he surpasses Bird. I think championships are not the number one factor in a player's ranking, but I do think it matters. To get close to Jordan, he'll need to win another three titles. It would be really cool to see, but I'm not sure if he'll do it.

This.
Guitarsoup
AG
Not even the biggest Bird homer in the world puts Bird 3rd or ahead of Magic and Kareem. Terrible list.
hph6203
AG
You're right. Bill Simmons has him 5th, behind both of those players. Lebron was 20th, but that book was released in 2009 before he went to the finals for 6 straight years.
ATM9000
AG
In terms of career achievement, I think Lebron, Kobe, Bird, and Duncan are all really really close. Tie breaker in that is Lebron's done it with way less time.

Jordan
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Lebron
Duncan
Kobe
Bird

It's obviously subjective just thought omitting Kareem over Bird was egregiously terrible. Then doubled down by ranking Bird over Magic.
jdubd34
AG
Wilt?
Enzo The Baker
AG
LeBron's greatness being determined by championships is completely valid. This is because his trips to the finals have been a breeze. Some of his career achievements are inflated from being in a weak Eastern Conference. I wish the Spurs could play the Pacers/Hawks/Raptors in the conference finals every year.

LeBron is great and should be among the all-time greats (I have him top 10 now). But to me, in his case, he has to win the championships to be considered a top 5 all-time player.
Look Out Below
AG
quote:
Not even the biggest Bird homer in the world puts Bird 3rd or ahead of Magic and Kareem.
This x a million. Wow.

Magic went to NINE NBA finals in his 12 pre-HIV years* and won five. Bird went to five and won 3. He also beat Bird head-to-head 2 of 3.

* - Magic missed 45 games to injury during one of those three years they didn't make the Finals.

Hard to believe Lebron has already played more years than Magic did (pre-HIV).
ce1994
AG
Magic Johnson never won a championship without Kareem on the team. I never liked Kareem because at the end he constantly complained about fouls. If you called him for anything he would ***** all the way to the other end. But it is hard to argue his greatness.

1) The only year he shot below 50% from the field was his last one and even then shot 48%.
2) For a big man he would hit his free throws. You could not just foul him in the low block.
3) He had an unblockable shot that he could consistently hit.
4) He averaged over 11 rebounds per game over his career.
5) He could close down the middle. You could not just drive down the lane with him down there waiting on you.

Remember, freshman did not play college ball on the varsity when Jabbar was Alcindor they played the varsity team that had just won the national championship and would win another one that year and the freshman team beat them. They outlawed dunking in college ball because of Jabbar.

Frok
AG
Going to the finals 6 straight years with two different teams is impressive even if it was in the East.

He only had two rings but if you look at his numbers in the finals they've been pretty darn good.

I think he's the best player of this generation hands down.

But Jordan will definitely top him on any list no matter what happens this year.
TajMaballer
AG
I still can't believe how bad Cleveland was without him. He leaves and they get the #1 pick 3 out of 4 years (one was through a trade I think, but still).
Guitarsoup
AG

quote:
Magic Johnson never won a championship without Kareem on the team.

Every Celtics championship team in the 80s had 4-5 Hall of Fame players, plus great role players like Danny Ainge (all-star), Cedric Maxwell (all-defense and Finals MVP). It's not like Bird did it with no help.
ce1994
AG
I was not propping up Bird with that argument. My point was is I don't think people really understand how good Kareem Abdul Jabbar was as a basketball player. This dialogue about Jordan being the greatest player ever hands down is nuts. Jabbar dominated the game. And when you keyed on him he burned you with his passing. And he completely controlled the paint. Jordan could be neatralized by locking down and making it half court. You could not take Jabbar out of the game.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kareem was definitely great. He did spend most of his time in the 70s, when I think the NBA was pretty down for the most part. Look at the all-time great centers. It was Russell/Wilt together, then Kareem by himself for 15 years (other than a half season by Walton) and then you 85-00 where you have Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Zo, Deke, Shaq, and now an era without great centers again. It's a shame he didn't work hard enough on defense and sometimes didn't even run down the court, except during the playoffs.
ce1994
AG
Hey, why don't you drag Lanier and Walton up and down the court for 48 minutes and tell me how he didn't play defense.
Bunk Moreland
If he isn't already a top 5 all timer, he no doubt will be unless an anvil falls on him over the next 8 or so years.

The 6 consecutive finals appearances is incredibly impressive, regardless of the fact that he played in the east.

He has evolved his game over his career and is still the most important person on any team in the league.
ATM9000
AG
The most important player on any team thing is often overlooked and as impressive a run as the finals appearance of not more impressive. He's been the most important player to any team in the NBA for somewhere between 10-12 years in a row now... And that's unreal. You have to go back a long time to find a player who might match that streak of absolute greatness in that many consecutive seasons.
Old School Rucking
AG
quote:
It's a shame he didn't work hard enough on defense and sometimes didn't even run down the court, except during the playoffs.

Ive been hearing that same **** since he was at UCLA.

If you include college, Kareem is arguably the greatest player ever.
Look Out Below
AG
Lack of NBA on TV in the 70's and seeing him age so much in the 80's has hurt the basketball viewing public's opinion of him. Magic stepping up to win the clincher in 1980, and effectively changing who was 'in charge' in LA, probably didn't help his image either. He was still a great player up until his last season or two. His sustained excellence from mid 60's to late 80's was incredible.
The254Ag
If LeBron gets #3 this year, will he come back to Cleveland, or look elsewhere?
Look Out Below
AG
I'd be shocked if he leaves Cleveland again. He got his rings. No reason to leave now.
PatAg
AG
quote:
I'd be shocked if he leaves Cleveland again. He got his rings. No reason to leave now.
Unless it can make him more money get him more public exposure. He cares about that the most.
Look Out Below
AG
I'm not a LeBron fan but I disagree. He has more than enough of both and I think he knows it. His only remaining goal should be to bring to his psuedo-hometown something it hasn't had in 50+ years. I don't think he would have ever come back were it not for that.
Frok
AG
If Lebron completes the comeback from down 3-1 against the 73 win Warriors what does that do for him?

I think it cements him into Top 5 all-time category. Six-straights finals, seven overall. 3-4 record. Not nearly the supporting cast other greats have had.

Guitarsoup
AG
Most people have him in the 5-8 range already with Bird/Duncan/Wilt/Kobe.
Look Out Below
AG
I think his supporting casts in Miami, as well as this one here, are plenty good. These aren't the same teams he brought to the finals pre-Miami. When you have three all-star caliber players, you SHOULD be in the NBA Finals, especially if you are an all-time great player.
letters at random
quote:
I think his supporting casts in Miami, as well as this one here, are plenty good. These aren't the same teams he brought to the finals pre-Miami. When you have three all-star caliber players, you SHOULD be in the NBA Finals, especially if you are an all-time great player.

That same team was just about the worst team in the NBA the year before he arrived. And he gave the Warriors a fight last year without Love or Kyrie. Except in Miami (before Wade broke down), his supporting cast hasn't been as good as Bird's or Duncan's or Kobe/Shaq or Jordan.
Ulrich
The only one that really counts against him is losing his first year in Miami. He tried too hard to make it a team of three equals, which led to the loss to a fairly weak finals opponent. The first stint in Cleveland had atrocious rosters, the Spurs were in god mode in 2014 (and Wade was broken), and in spite of the loss last year was probably one of the top 2-3 individual finals performances ever.
wheelsoff
Has to win tomorrow..otherwise people will say he's 2-5 and not worthy of Jordan or Kobe status..not fair..but facts are facts...
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.