Jalen Rose's Top Ten NBA players of all time

7,467 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ulrich
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Timmy seems a little low... Seems fair though
Obi Wan Ginobili
theres 11 players on that list.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Timmy's face.
Texas A&M
I might shuffle the order a little bit on the back half, but overall it seems pretty reasonable at first glance.
Lilsmit
Thats a totally reasonable list. Although it's pretty similar to his boyfriend Simmons' list
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Wilt Chamberlain 7th?

Let me know when someone else averages 50 points a game for a season.
Houston Summit
AG
Dream >>>> Anyone else
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Wilt Chamberlain 7th?

Regular season super champion.All that domination, so few rings.
jr15aggie
AG
I was very young when Bird played so maybe I just don't know enough.... but doesn't Timmy's rings and longevity put him above Larry at this point? There is at least an argument there, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
Hard to choose. Larry had three mvps and three titles, Duncan has two mvps and five titles. Bird was better offensively, Duncan better defensively.
Lilsmit
quote:
Wilt Chamberlain 7th?

Let me know when you start thinking for yourself and not taking every statistic at face value
BarryProfit
Bird was better than Duncan. Come on.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Where is Julius Erving?
Guitarsoup
AG
About 5-10 spots later.
Lilsmit
quote:
Where is Julius Erving?
Hanging out with Karl Malone
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
Bird was better than Duncan. Come on.

Disagree.
DCC99
AG
To be fair, I was young when he played, but Bird > Duncan. More versatile and broader skill set, imo. Could shoot from anywhere, dribble, pass, defend. Duncan has him on longevity though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bird never made All-defense first team and was only second team 3x. He had some great defensive plays, but he was not a dominating defensive player like Duncan was.

Bird was a great scorer/shooter/passer for sure. But Duncan was certainly a very versatile player. Great mid-range game. Great post game. Great at passing out of double teams and finding the open player. Dominating defensive force both on ball and as a help defender for both post players and mid-range players.
PatAg
AG
It's definitely not a blowout in Bird's favor, and I don't blame any Spurs fans for having Duncan over Bird.
Farmer1906
AG
I think only Spurs fans have Duncan over Bird.

Kobe being that high is crazy IMO.
Guitarsoup
AG
Duncan had less help than Bird with 5 titles vs Bird's 3. The NBA is much tougher now than the 80s when the NBA was basically just two great teams (one per conference) and a bunch of other teams.

In any event, I think Jordan, Russell and Kareem are pretty clear at the top. Duncan, Bird, Magic in some order are probably the next three and there are a lot of great arguments for all of them.

Magic = 5x Champ, 3x FinalsMVP, 3x MVP
Bird = 3x Champ, 2x Finals MVP, 3x MVP
Duncan 5x Champ, 3x FinalsMVP, 2x MVP

Duncan also has better longevity and defense than either of the others. Do you want 9 years of Bird or 18 years of Duncan?

FWIW: Duncan's career PER is better than Magic or Bird and his career Win Shares/48min is better than Bird's. His VORP is better than Bird or Magic.
Lilsmit
Bird was a horrendous defense player. Anyone who says otherwise didn't watch him play
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Bird was a horrendous defense player. Anyone who says otherwise didn't watch him play
Kind of ironic that his most shown highlight is a defensive play?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
That play was more about Basketball IQ than Defensive Ability, though.

Happened right after he got packed by Rodman.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:

No. He was slow and unathletic on defense. He was a good defender. To say he was horrendous makes me question if you really saw him play. Or at the very least, it makes me question if you know what good defense looks like.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jesus Christ, if you make a steal because of your IQ it's not good defense?
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jesus Christ, if you make a steal because of your IQ it's not good defense?
It was a single good defensive play he made due to his insanely high basketball IQ. It doesn't mean he was a great defender.
birdman
Bird was a decent defender. Great rebounder and ballhawk.
Texas A&M
quote:

Yet somehow he's 25th all-time in steals per game.

And as far as Bird v. Duncan, if you remove all Spurs and Celtics fans.....I'd guess that 80-90% of the people who saw both would rank Bird ahead of Duncan. It is not a slight to Duncan...Bird was just that good.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:

Yet somehow he's 25th all-time in steals per game.

And as far as Bird v. Duncan, if you remove all Spurs and Celtics fans.....I'd guess that 80-90% of the people who saw both would rank Bird ahead of Duncan. It is not a slight to Duncan...Bird was just that good.

To be a devil's advocate:

But in doing that you don't take into account that Bird was a much more high profile player playing for the best nba franchise ever in a time when there really weren't as many nba superstars, so the ones then seemed larger than life. Those things help tilt that type of vote in favor of Bird.
Texas A&M
Duncan has been in six finals. He does not suffer from lack of exposure.

It is too bad that Bird's back didn't hold out for 3-5 more years than it did.
Hickory High
AG
This debate always rests on one thing: Are you ranking based on ABILITY or OVERALL CAREER? I always rank based on the former because the latter has too many variables:
1. Jordan
2. Bird
3. Magic
4. Abdul-Jabbar
5. Olajuwon
6. Duncan
7. Russell
8. Kobe
9. Oscar Roberson
10. Shaq
Farmer1906
AG
I struggle ranking guys from the 60s and 70s with the guys of the last 20-30 years. I would probably have Wilt and Russell much lower than most.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
This debate always rests on one thing: Are you ranking based on ABILITY or OVERALL CAREER? I always rank based on the former because the latter has too many variables:
1. Jordan
2. Bird
3. Magic
4. Abdul-Jabbar
5. Olajuwon
6. Duncan
7. Russell
8. Kobe
9. Oscar Roberson
10. Shaq

Has to be combination of the two things. If we're talking ability, LeBron James is a top 3 player all-time. And Kobe Bryant has much more ability than Larry Bird. Same with Hakeem Olajuwon. And damn near everyone else on that list. Bird might have been one of the, if not the smartest basketball player ever. But all the guys on the list have high basketball IQ and otherworldly athleticism.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.