2014-15 5(x) Champion San Antonio Spurs - Title Defense Thread.

363,574 Views | 4050 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by rms007
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bye bye 2 seed.
aggie_2001_2005
Spurs can't give up another FG or this is over.
aggie_2001_2005
Need to avoid the Manu premature pull up three and keep attacking.
aggie_2001_2005
Jump shots when attacking the rim has worked.
Guitarsoup
AG
Eric Gordon sucks all year and picks now to do something positive for the Pelicans?
GatorAg03
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Spurs are on the ropes. I think these next 5 minutes determine if the Spurs repeat. Have to get it down to 8 or so going to the 4th. I just don't see this team winning 3 or 4 series on the road. Of course I hope I am wrong.
This is one of the stupidest posts ever typed on this board. For real.

Care to expound why? You think we have a great shot if we come out as a 6 seed? Please explain what gives you that belief. I have been stating for a while HCA was a huge part of last year. Look at our road record. We have a tougher path this year, if we lose tonight, than we did on any of the previous 5 championships.
I would say that homecourt was not a huge part of last year's playoffs. Let's look at them:
Dallas: we went 1-2. One of those 2 losses came on a buzzer-beater turn-around 3-pointer that Carter hits probably 5% of the time. The other loss was by 2-3 points.

Portland: we went 1-1. Our loss came after we obliterated them on the road in game 3 to take a 3-0 series lead. As a team, we just didn't care about game 4. We knew we had them and we came out flat because of it.

OKC: we went 1-2 on the road. HCA would be important against OKC because they get so many foul calls at home, but they're fairly unique in that regard.

Miami: we went 2-0 on the road.

So that's a 5-5 road record against playoff teams. We won at least 1 game (i.e. enough to take home court) in every series.

Now some regular season facts:
In last year's regular season (the team we're playing like at this moment), our road and home records were virtually identical (32-9 at home versus 30-11 on the road). This year, since our epic turnaround started after that 4 game losing streak, we are 8-2 on the road (which includes blowout Ws over Atlanta and OKC, and a W over Houston).

This team can win on the road. I'd like HCA obviously, but it's not a death sentence.

And I would say you are wrong. Only one 6 seed has ever won the championship. Obviously with the Spurs experience and a record setting west, this isn't a typical 6, but to act like this doesn't deal a major blow to our chances is just blind optimism.
Ganondorf
AG
Just couldn't get past the turnovers and bad defense. Little to no Danny Green, maybe a little too much Manu.
Natasha Romanoff
Patty should have played more this half. I get he's been terrible but he played well tonight
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
but to act like this doesn't deal a major blow to our chances is just blind optimism.
Dude, no one is doing that.

You are the one who said we don't repeat if we lose.
Ganondorf
AG
Late in the 3rd Parker came in for Patty and Manu stayed in, I think they should have run Patty more with Parker in the 3rd.
GatorAg03
AG
quote:
quote:
but to act like this doesn't deal a major blow to our chances is just blind optimism.
Dude, no one is doing that.

You are the one who said we don't repeat if we lose.

Which is blind optimism?
Knife_Party
I won't be able to take the spurs in the pickoff now. Ill just put them through to the WCF.
Natasha Romanoff
Yup. Manu wasn't playing well this game, and I feel like you stick with Patty if he shows you something.
Ganondorf
AG
What the **** was that possession to attack The Brow instead of shooting a 3?
aggie_2001_2005
Go Pacers.
BigBrother
AG
I know he does well for us, but I hate Boris Diaw. I try so hard to like him.
Houston Summit
AG
quote:
Go Pacers.

Agreed
Ganondorf
AG
Manu 1/7, Danny 0/0.

Should have taken Manu out earlier.

3/9 from 3
Deputy Travis Junior
It's a blow, but it's not a death sentence, which is what you were claiming earlier.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
I know he does well for us, but I hate Boris Diaw. I try so hard to like him.

10/14 tonight but his 4 misses were terrible
Ganondorf
AG
15 turnovers, 7 shots blocked. That's 22 possessions of failure.
aggie_2001_2005
Meh. Memphis starting to roll the pacers. At least Houston is a short trip.
Natasha Romanoff
quote:
Spurs are on the ropes. I think these next 5 minutes determine if the Spurs repeat. Have to get it down to 8 or so going to the 4th. I just don't see this team winning 3 or 4 series on the road. Of course I hope I am wrong.

This is the quote everyone is referring to. If you had said "this makes it harder to repeat" probably no one gripes. But definitive negative statements really have no place as a Spurs fan. Did I think we were going to repeat at the beginning of the season? The middle? Now? The answer is no for all three, but to act like this team right now is the same as before the all star break is blind pessimism. If you want to be miserable as a sports fan, that's your prerogative, and as an A&M fan I understand. But the Spurs are a team that always has a chance to win and surprise you, so, yeah, I don't see the point for the dramatic, definitive statement above.

Look, if you want to be miserable when it comes to Aggie sports, fine, but it seems pretty silly to get down on a team that has brought 5 championships to a small market and moved up (and now back down) to the 2 seed in the last 3 weeks of the season. They have the ability to win it all. Should be interesting to see if they play up to that.
tmaggie50
AG
The only positive I see is the Spurs were getting things so easy these past 2 months that maybe they'll come out just that more focused and sharp for the playoffs
Knife_Party
So we get clippers first round? Make it past them and get winner of Rockets/Mavs?

Pretty much the only way we make it out of WC is if we win every single game we play at home. Cannot afford a single loss in any playoff series...
aggie_2001_2005
Ah. The clippers. Even better.
LawHall88
AG
Indiana not playing with the same sense of urgency that the Pelicans brought tonight. Just a bummer night for the Spurs.
GatorAg03
AG
quote:
quote:

This is the quote everyone is referring to. If you had said "this makes it harder to repeat" probably no one gripes. But definitive negative statements really have no place as a Spurs fan. Did I think we were going to repeat at the beginning of the season? The middle? Now? The answer is no for all three, but to act like this team right now is the same as before the all star break is blind pessimism. If you want to be miserable as a sports fan, that's your prerogative, and as an A&M fan I understand. But the Spurs are a team that always has a chance to win and surprise you, so, yeah, I don't see the point for the dramatic, definitive statement above.

Look, if you want to be miserable when it comes to Aggie sports, fine, but it seems pretty silly to get down on a team that has brought 5 championships to a small market and moved up (and now back down) to the 2 seed in the last 3 weeks of the season. They have the ability to win it all. Should be interesting to see if they play up to that.

I thought the Spurs would repeat (or at least would be the favorites) until tonight. I repeatedly stated if anyone can do it, then its the Spurs. I don't see how stating my opinion at the juncture, that the championship likely depends on those few minutes was all that negative or far fetched. Again, history and odds support that comment. I hope like crazy, I am wrong, but I see no reason not to express that opinion at that juncture.
phatpat21
Well
That's disappointing
Really thought the Spurs would come out and get the W
Going to be a tough road back to the finals
But if anyone can do it, it's the Spurs
GO SPURS GO!!!
TheDino
AG
Clippers are in trouble.
Ulrich
I blame this loss on hack-Asik. We had closed it to 5 with several minutes to play and the Pelicans looked tired and discouraged while our offense was rolling. Then we slow it down, let them catch their wind, destroy the flow of our offense, and end up losing ground and ticking them off. I've posted it before, but I think hack-a-xxxx hurts us at least as much as it hurts our opponent.

Parker was also limping and looked really tired in the fourth quarter. He can't play effectively for more than about 25 minutes a game. Manu also looked like garbage. Somehow he only got hit with two turnovers, but he forced tons of really dumb passes that resulted in turnovers even if they didn't count against him.
aggie_2001_2005
I want to know who gator thinks is beating the Spurs now that would not have beaten them before.

Cause I still think they're favorites the firs two rounds.
jteagle
AG
At least OKC is staying home this year!
Natasha Romanoff
And I don't see how a loss in the regular season against a team with a lot more to play for all of a sudden drastically changes your opinion on the Spurs winning the championship. The teams in the WC haven't changed. They are all good and good on the road. Winning road games is a fact of life for an NBA champion.

Does it hurt? Yes. Is it the nail in the coffin? No. That's either not going to come or is coming from one of the many capable teams in our conference. And that was always the case.

On an unrelated note, I think we've seen how important a healthy Tiago and a Kawhi who plays out of his mind is for us to repeat. Without those two at a high level, we aren't as dangerous.
Sher Thing
AG
I wasn't confident at all about the game tonight and was pretty much bracing myself for a loss the last few days so it isn't really bothering me.

When I look and see the possible scenario of @LAC @HOU @GS to get back to the finals though, that is effin brutal. No two ways about it.

Still think the Spurs are a very capable team but the road definitely looks to have gotten harder when going by what's projected to happen.

Saying that............ A lot of crazier things have happened in the NBA playoffs and who knows what will happen. Spurs just need to take it one series/game at a time and maybe we get lucky and Dallas somehow beats Houston. If that ends up being the case (which I don't think will happen but is certainly possible), then I would probably rather be at 6 then 5 right now. Just shows how its impossible to predict this thing out.

Really a missed opportunity tonight but give credit to New Orleans. They flat out beat us. The loss of Splitter was huge as I anticipated and it was just too hard to match that energy/sense of urgency for 48 minutes.
First Page Last Page
Page 113 of 116

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.