John Hollinger West Preview

9,838 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ulrich
Sher Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
^That's true also. Without Harden they were not getting past San Antonio though.

I don't blame people that didn't watch the Spurs in the playoffs last year for thinking that the Spurs were pretty much the same team they saw in the 2012 WCF but I assure you that couldn't be further from the truth. The Spurs were much improved last season and a ton better than what they were in 2012 while OKC had gotten worse with the departure of Harden.
nbbob
There is no way to prove who would have won so i won't try. Spur fans make me smile. I bet yall don't lose a game all year. You are the perfect team and have mastered the sport. Not sure why other teams even bother showing up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I don't think anyone is saying that. Spurs were strong last year and statistics back it up. Don't be butt hurt.
Sher Thing
AG
If you don't want to get into it than don't post nonsensical comments like this:

quote:
Keep in mind the injury to Westbrook took the Thunder out of the playoffs. That probably had more to do with the Spurs getting to the Finals than anything.
Ulrich
Hey, you guys remember when the Spurs were all washed up three and a half years ago? This year's updates in bold.
quote:
Ulrich
posted 7:54p, 10/15/13
quote:

J.J. Barea
posted 1:42p, 12/23/11

Someone please bookmark this thread. Anyone who thinks the Spurs are even close to being a contender needs to be laughed at.

OK, so it's kinda late but apparently I bookmarked this thread at the time. In 2012, the Spurs won 10 straight playoff games and went to the WCF, then with the same roster in 2013 came within a miracle 3-pointer of winning the title. And then won it all the next year.

Some other quotes:

birdman: "Just a middling, good team. Not bad enough to get in lottery. Not good enough to make a run.... Now Duncan is just a good player surrounded by role players that don't look so good anymore. Speaking of role players that don't look so good anymore, how about Birdman and the rest of the Heat?"

Yu Darvish: "Congrats, it's the regular season. If you win more than 6 playoff games call me." (10 games that year, 15 the next, 16 the next again with the same roster)

J.J. Barea: "Mavs are way better than the spurs. Tim Duncan is done." (Oops) ...and oops again

quote:
nbbob
posted 1:41a, 10/16/13

Keep in mind the injury to Westbrook took the Thunder out of the playoffs. That probably had more to do with the Spurs getting to the Finals than anything. They played lights out for 5 games when they got there so props to them.

quote:
nbbob
posted 4:57p, 10/17/13

There is no way to prove who would have won so i won't try. Spur fans make me smile. I bet yall don't lose a game all year. You are the perfect team and have mastered the sport. Not sure why other teams even bother showing up.

We sure were lucky Westbrook was out of the playoffs this year!

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 7/2/2014 7:10p).]
TheDino
AG
SPURS.
Adam87inSA
Ulrich
So going into the 2016 season, do we all still agree with the 2011 consensus that the Spurs are totally done, washed up, and out of contention for the foreseeable future?

Incidentally, since one of our genius maverick fans declared Tim Duncan finished, he has landed two more all-NBA and all-defense selections.

I keep bumping this thread because I bookmarked it when it was first made per JJ Barea's request... I'd say the really incredible thing is that I still have the same computer five years later.
onceaggie
AG
quote:
Someone please bookmark this thread. Anyone who thinks the Spurs are even close to being a contender needs to be laughed at.
This guy is still around...

Great call
Deputy Travis Junior
Duncan will never be done. He's going to keep on putting up 20/10 per 36 until this guy takes his head off.

Ulrich
Tim Duncan has finally retired. He won just 50 playoff games after being totally washed up.
Ulrich
Since nbbob just poked his head up after the spurs had been safely eliminated to talk a little trash and predict that the spurs are done (again), I thought I would bump this thread.

Only 8 playoff wins this year. Disappointing, but not bad all things considered. Some years it's just not your year. And for some franchises, it's pretty much always not your year.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.