******BTHO Oklahoma*******

5,852 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by wareagle044
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gap said:

Pante had a great opportunity to tie it with about 3 minutes remaining.

She hit the only place the keeper could have saved it

Easy goal unmarked 8 yards out
aggiedrjdub
AG
Another hard to watch match, although we watched to the end. We are a very average team, and played as such again. Had a period of about 15-18 minutes where we controlled much of the second half; however, ou changed their formation and we didn't respond well after that. Chances were there for goals; we just don't have the finishers we need in the final 1/3 is the field.
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
MookieBlaylock
AG
I am so confused by our lineups and subbing

Rupe likes the beat forward on the team and plays 5 minutes

You gotta Captain that can't play getting tons of minutes over transfers and preseason all Americans

Armenta should be in the midfield full time as well as she is highly skilled

#s, Williams, McDonnell and the other forward to the bench for the rest of the year

aggietoolman
AG
aggiedrjdub
AG
He's not wrong in his assessment; to be fair his comments are brutally accurate and not undeserved. Question is - we're in conference now - 1) why does this keep happening and 2) what can you do to fix it? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we have girls playing out of position. What's baffling to me is, how are ECNL level defenders so inept at passing into an open space, or frankly, so blatantly just passing it right to the other team? Ever. Single. Game. He is clearly disgusted by what he saw today, and he should be. It's not good enough. Pretty plain and simple. But, what I've gathered from his post games is it is what it is bc our finishers are all hurt and they will be available in 2025 and we are having to play girls out of their positions.
Soccer1
When looking at the schedule this was a must win game. The next 2 games are #6 Auburn and #11 Texas. The way the coaches have this team playing it's going to be very difficult to win those games. The defense, which has been our strength, has been giving a lot of goals as of late and the competition is about to get much tougher. If we lose the next 2 games, I don't see this team making the tournament and possibly not even the SEC tournament. The future of A&M soccer with the current coaching staff continues going in the wrong direction due to poor coaching.

Hayes and Boeckman made the right decision to leave. Top players want a chance to win a National Championship, or at the very least improve and have good coaching. It's telling when better programs are picking up our players and they are finding success. I would say we lost more talent than we gained in the portal this past year. I can see current players looking to enter the portal. As many have said before, the game seems to have passed G by. You can't just rely on bigger, faster and work harder to win soccer games anymore. Unfortunately I don't see anything changing with G as head coach.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So he predicted trying to pass the ball out of the back would lead to a goal- but didn't tell his keeper to play long when the forwards were pressing

All game you could hear him telling the ref to watch the time bc they were delaying throw ins - that was his focus the prancing ref
taylorswift13_
Fells fellas all is well!! No need to worry, according to the G himself

"We've got some great players on this roster that are outstanding finishers and are coming back from ACL injuries, they're going to be outstanding in 2025,"

We just gotta wait till next year!!! Wish I knew that before the start of the season!!!!!
sharpdressedman
Sounds like G has already set his focus on 2025.

Unfortunately, recent, multi-year, overall recruiting has/is not championship caliber and the portal purchases are underperforming.

A losing season, missing the NCAA tourney, and more quality losses to the portal could be G's trifecta of doom.

We'll see what happens.
mullokmotx
AG
On the bright side we scored in the first half. Lowrey and Clark played a combined total of 17 minutes after playing a combined total of 18 minutes Thursday. We must have wore out Missouri on Thursday because they gave up 8 goals to Arkansas today.
taylorswift13_
Can we just send him to the locker room, these post game pressers are awful… Last year he says after a game "we need to get finishers in the portal because we can't put it in the net right now" now he says "don't worry if we suck, we'll be good next year" as a player how do you feel when you're giving it your all day in and day out and your coach is here saying stuff like this! I'm surprised players like Pante and Calzada even stayed to play for G…
MookieBlaylock
AG
He is more like a jealous manipulative controlling boyfriend than a coach

HiddenAg2
As others have pointed out, it was telling where Coach G's thoughts are now with the comment about "next year we'll have all our injured strikers/impact players back." In other words he's basically conceded that this season is lost and he's throwing in the towel. I find that really troubling to be honest. What about the girls on this team who are in their last season here? I think the effort is there for the most part, but they are being put in bad positions because the coaches have several of them playing out of position. We definitely lack team speed, especially up top, and the midfield is possibly the most ineffective group A&M has ever fielded. And now the defense is playing poorly and giving up silly goals.

This season is about to spiral and I feel bad for our players. They aren't the most talented group but the coaches aren't providing them the best chance to win based on lineups and strategy. I think Coach G sees what's ahead and realizes he's got to start lobbying now for another year and reasons to not make a change. Now, I have no idea where Trev is at with women's soccer, but he does need to take a serious look at this program at the end of the season, assuming things don't turn around soon.
Artimus Gordon
AG
Soccer1 said:

When looking at the schedule this was a must win game. The next 2 games are #6 Auburn and #11 Texas. The way the coaches have this team playing it's going to be very difficult to win those games.

So we are staring straight at a 3 game losing streak and an 0-3 conference start. When did Coach G decide to go out like Jo Evans? According to some posters who say he is mishandling the roster, If he doesn't know what he is doing then who is making these personnel decisions.
Gap
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

Soccer1 said:

When looking at the schedule this was a must win game. The next 2 games are #6 Auburn and #11 Texas. The way the coaches have this team playing it's going to be very difficult to win those games.
we are staring straight at…an 0-3 conference start

We won our SEC opener at Missouri.
BQ_90
AG
i thought last years excuse was injuries and we'd be better this year? It seems like we have a S&C issue along with roster issues
GigEm200$
While some may not like what he said or how he said it, G basically said what 70% of the comments are on this forum, this group unfortunately just hasn't been able to perform consistently at a high enough level to win consistently.
Regardless of what he says, we're going to find fault bc we want the team to win and they're not.
At least he has confidence in what the future holds.
taylorswift13_
Except that we're fans on a random message board and he's the paid head soccer coach for the Texas A&M University Aggies and he gets up to the media and says out loud during conference play how the girls couldn't score and he needs better players from the portal, now he said we need to wait for next year to be good, and if anyone saw the post game presser he said we gave up the goal in the box because "our girls are too weak and too soft" like who would want to play for a coach that is constantly throwing them under the bus and blaming them for losses, absolutely ridiculous! He ran off two of our top girls last year, more will follow

vwbug
Do players like playing for Coach G?
tamufan
I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.
tamufan
I 'd also ask the various commentators saying girls are playing out of position, how would you line up the team? Name the formation and players. Who would you play as striker, etc., given our player pool?
sharpdressedman
vwbug said:

Do players like playing for Coach G?
Given that two of our best players bailed into the portal after last season, I'm guessing the answer is either "no" or that they are very talented competitors who simply realized they would not have an opportunity to play for a championship under him/his system.

I am confidant that G's negative, public comments about the talent and performance of his players is very discomforting to anyone who hears them.
LB12Diamond
AG
The curious thing to me is he's saying he don't have finishers. Now, yes, we do seem to not finish at times where we have great opportunities.

But we also are very weak at midfield right now. And I personally hate a weak midfield.
Expert Analysis
AG
I have been busy and not able to post much. Even missed a couple games so far which is rare for me.
My thoughts so far are, ****ing coach and play better. This **** is pitiful.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I'm always torn on coaches publicly calling out individual players in post-match interviews. On one hand - man, it holds you accountable and there is no hiding when he is pointing out specific mistakes. Soccer is a unique sport in that if you don't play with confidence and unafraid to make mistakes, you can become very average on the pitch. After listening to the last post-match interview, it's clear G was rattled and really, to be honest, looked disinterested in being there and had trouble giving much insight into what happened (probably because it was obvious - we all saw it).

With re: to another posted asking what to do about the strikers/finishers. Pante appears to be our most fearless shooter; outside of that we need set plays to go our way or crosses for easy finishes across the middle of the box (which requires a defensive break down that you won't see from the better teams). I really like Jernigan as a distributor; she passes well and has good vision, although sometimes it develops a bit too slowly or she doesn't have the support that can do much from what she's creating. She's physical, uses her body well, and tries to open up the channels and spaces for an attack. Although quick, I wouldn't call her fast.

The midfield is extremely weak right now. On great teams, the midfield is the strength - coaches with a strong midfield rely on the midfield to get back and defend but also create opportunities and break the defensive lines in an attack.

I saw some good moments in the second half against ou. Unfortunately, it's just not sustainable for some reason. I'm baffled by the athletes on our team that just boot the ball down the field even when they aren't under pressure. That's a real problem on this team and quite frankly something you see in lower level soccer.
wareagle044
Are the jerseys from this game being auctioned off this year? Hadn't seen anything about it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.