******BTHO Georgia (SEC Tournament)******

17,719 Views | 209 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Gap
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Goal Georgia with 27 seconds left.
Rule Number 32
AG
What insanely crappy defense on that free kick.
DuncanField91
AG
Was that even a foul for Matula?
blake2003
AG
Being sent to end our season in Austin again is going to be brutal.
Rambotx
Wow! Tough break.
taylorswift13_
Tu is barely getting in just like us, I can see us going to Lubbock though
B$Weigem
AG
How do you let 2 Georgia players get behind you on a free kick
Gap
AG
We outshot Georgia 6-2 in the overtimes. Both of their shots were goals.
TRM
AG
I had a bad feeling about today's game when I saw a Facebook memory of us giving up a goal vs Kansas with 3 seconds left in the Big 12 tourney.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I saw a lot more positive than I've seen in the last few matches
Lots of heart and work

Let's see our draw and what happens...we have the talent
Rule Number 32
AG
If the defender just stands still the ball bounces off her shins and out. Instead she takes a wild swing and whiffs it
blake2003
AG
We'll see.
AggieCrew44
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I saw a lot more positive than I've seen in the last few matches
Lots of heart and work

Let's see our draw and what happens...we have the talent
Theyve been quality since the Vanderbilt fiasco
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Does coach G ever work on finishing? My goodness how many goals left, maybe 4-5?
MookieBlaylock
AG
B$Weigem said:

How do you let 2 Georgia players get behind you on a free kick

Simple, you had a forward marking the goal scorer and a forward/Hb that missed the clear and flicked it on
flintdragon
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

If the defender just stands still the ball bounces off her shins and out. Instead she takes a wild swing and whiffs it
I think she actually deflected it perfectly behind her to the rushing offense.
AggieCrew44
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Does coach G ever work on finishing? My goodness how many goals left, maybe 4-5?
You can obviously practice finishing but at some point it's an innate ability a player has
Jimma
A&M has become good at losing in the last minutes in the most stupid ways. Arkansas is going to have a field day with Georgia.
taylorswift13_
HowdyTexasAggies said:

you're right, 31 years and not once in practice has Coach G had a girl kick a ball into a goal, breaking news everyone
AggieCrew44
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

you're right, 31 years and not once in practice has Coach G had a girl kick a ball into a goal, breaking news everyone
didn't you hear? They practice without a ball
Coop26
AG
To lose like that is incredibly frustrating. I felt the girls played well but mistakes like that last foul, the hand ball & missed PK combined with our consistent inability to convert even a reasonable percentage of SOG doomed us. Interested to see where we land in the NCAAs. Not looking forward to another first round beat down.
Coop26
CapCityAg89
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

You can obviously practice finishing but at some point it's an innate ability a player has

And their keep was unconscious tonight. D
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

They are terrible at finishing, that's coaching all the way. Sorry you can't handle that smart ass.
sharpdressedman
Aggie soccer has elevated late losses to an art form. It's a new tradition.
AggieCrew44
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

taylorswift13_ said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

They are terrible at finishing, that's coaching all the way. Sorry you can't handle that smart ass.
That is not all coaching. Sorry
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
AggieCrew44 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

taylorswift13_ said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

You can blame the girls if you want, I'll blame the guy that's always been there!!!!
MookieBlaylock
AG
This is what I had hoped for for the tourney

Prefer not making the final, as our position is set and a heartbreaker you should have won should keep the focus

Thinking this team might get a couple of games in the tourney
WVAg18
Overtime coaching should've been better. Boeckmann has been on fire the last 2 games and sits all of OT??? Make it make sense. Also, Hayes works her A** off and earns herself a PK but ever since she missed one in pre-season, G refuses to let her take it. Let her redeem herself, everyone misses. Coaching is costing us games.
Ag4eva95
The season has been full of heart breakers. They are used to it. These girls are probably as humble as it gets to earning wins
AggieCrew44
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

AggieCrew44 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

taylorswift13_ said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

You can blame the girls if you want, I'll blame the guy that's always been there!!!!
Scoring goals has not always been an issue for Aggie soccer
GAP76
AG
I am proud of our Aggie soccer team's fight tonight. Gig em
Gap
AG
Post Game RPI Update

Georgia - 19 -> 16
Texas A&M - 39 -> 46
AGGIEGMA9
Super game ladies, with so much excitement. So proud of your fight.
6 Aggies
HiddenAg2
This game really was a microcosm of the entire season. A&M has most of the run of play, more shots, more chances in front of goal, but missed several point blank easy chances against the GK. Then there is a bad turnover in midfield, defensive mistakes in marking, and giving up a late goal to lose a match that should have been won. It's been one of the more frustrating seasons I can remember watching this program over the years. A&M had all but put itself in position to host a first round game in the NCAA tourney and play for an SEC tourney title, but instead limp home exhausted both physically and mentally and will almost surely to be sent on the road against a good opponent. But this was one of the craziest games I've seen A&M play.

While the finishing in front of goal has improved a bit here late in the season, it seemed to rear its ugly head at the worst time in this semifinal match. We outshot Georgia 27-16 and A&M missed no fewer than 4 golden chances in front of goal, with a few shots right at the GK and a couple shots wide of the goal completely. The worst of the lot coming on a 2v1 against the GK early in the second half when McDonald pushed the ball wide with the GK off her line and it deflected wide off the post. She shot across goal instead of the near post, which was wide open and uncovered based on the GK's momentum and body position. Bury that and it's a 2-0 A&M lead and the game is essentially over. To make things worse, McDonald had another great opportunity to win the match with 2 minutes left in OT with a point blank chance and an open net and yet again pushed the ball high and wide of the goal. Just brutal. Hayes had a few good chances on goal as well that were either kicked right to the GK or wide of the post. I really wish Becerra had been more aggressive to take some shots around the top of the box because she has been very accurate lately going for goal. Oh, and to cap things off, we missed 2 PK opportunities in a row (even though the first was called back when the GK left her line early). Both of those shots were really pathetic. I truly believe most of what has happened here this season is mental and not physical. They are expecting the worst and it manifests. That's really difficult to turn around during a season, but I hope we invest more time in sports psychology in the offseason. And maybe some players that are clinical in front of goal would help.

I'm still trying to figure out how we let Georgia score 3 goals in the second half and OT. That just can't happen when you have the lead and run of play. One reason is that the team clearly got tired in the second half as the energy level in the midfield waned. The combination of turning the ball over in the midfield and then the backline being out of position and scrambling led to several chances for the Bulldogs, including the second goal in OT. Kate Colvin lost the ball and then the midfield just walked and watched the counter attack against a helpless back line. The first goal came on an unlucky hand ball and PK, but the winning goal was excruciating all around. Setup on a stupid foul by Margo Matula with a minute left, we then allowed a low driving ball to skip past 2 defenders (Calzada fails to step in front of the ball and then Smith jumps off the ground which allows the ball to deflect underneath her foot which sets up a perfect shot for the winner) and then watch 2 other Aggies inexplicably get beat to the ball and watch it slide past Caldwell with 30 seconds left. I've watched too many of these late losses happen to A&M over the years, usually in tournament play.

Of course, OT doesn't even happen if Caldwell doesn't come up with a great save with 30 seconds left in regulation by barely getting a hand on a breakaway shot by Georgia which never should have happened off a long ball kicked over the defense. Caldwell made one incredible save after another and was easily the player of the game. The winning goal certainly wasn't her fault and I felt really bad for her as her defense melted down there at the end. The improvement in her overall game this season has been fun to watch as she has kept us in games. And to be fair, the Georgia GK was outstanding tonight as well. She made a couple of great one handed deflected saves to stay in the game.

So A&M is around #46 in the RPI and will probably be in the field of 64. However, a tough road matchup against either Texas or Texas Tech seems likely. Otherwise we'll probably be sent halfway across the country against an elite team. So unless we suddenly learn how to finish in front of goal, it's most likely another first round exit. It's just been difficult to understand, because this team could have had a special season if it had players that could convert easy chances and defend relatively easy end of game situations. Let's hope this team finds some good luck in the tourney and pulls off a couple of upsets.
WVAg18
Unimpressed with G's post game interview. The girls fought til the end but never once did he credit them for the hard fought game they put up. Then proceeds to essentially put out an advertisement for forwards in the transfer portal…first of all, nice to know you have confidence in the players YOU recruited. Second, why are you acting like the season is over. At the end of the interview says he hopes he gets the chance to compete for a national championship, yet you don't even believe in your team. The team he has built is solid and extremely talented, but not gonna go far if the head coach doesn't even believe in you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.