******BTHO Ole Miss******

5,770 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Giggem
Sports-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A top 20 win on the road. Hopefully this gets the team going. Nice counter from the Ags after that Ole Miss goal
Gap
AG
Great day for Aggie soccer. Those 3 points are big time for us. One point would have been nice but to get the win and 3 points really is a difference maker for us.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Smith Hayes and Carrol were the best 3 on the pitch today

Hayes is your player of match

Rambotx
Rambotx
Rambotx
Rambotx
Rambotx

Fun on the road....
taylorswift13
AG
Love seeing these type of videos!! Their chemistry is showing on the field!
missinAggieland
AG
I watched the second half only; I had the start time wrong. But what I saw was encouraging. Today they played more cohesively than I've seen in some previous games. Their offensive attack included good passing, and the use of the midfield. Definitely a good game.
mullokmotx
AG
We absolutely had to get the win to stay 3 points out of 10th place. The cameras spent too much time covering things off the field. We earned a corner in the second half but no one saw what happened because the camera was on our bench. Kate Colvin set up the first goal by forcing a throw-in in front of the Mississippi bench but the camera didn't show how Hayes ended up with the ball down the right side. I was really surprised Katie Smith stayed in the game after being down on the ground as long as she was.
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White kit had the following pre and post game comments:

"What looks on paper to be the bubble six-pointer for two sides probably not used to such stakes at this point of the season. Ole Miss started strong but has seen its RPI erode, while A&M's league campaign is still sputtering"

"Texas A&M scores a late winner to take out bubble rival Ole Miss and net a needed SEC win."
ntheno
We were very frustrated by the camera crew. For example, spent 10 seconds showing the Gatorade station while the game was playing. Did it seem like it happened more when the Ags had possession?
taylorswift13
AG
Okay but how that Gatorade cooler stood up after getting hit by the ball was pretty cool LOL! As someone who's just getting into soccer and a game where I was watching with even more noice soccer fans it was a cool broadcast. Love when they try to make jokes and bring outside commentating on random things. Although I don't want it to be a detriment to the soccer viewing.
jkag89
Congrats to the gals. Of course when I can't catch a game they somehow find a way to pull it out.
MookieBlaylock
AG
jkag89 said:

Congrats to the gals. Of course when I can't catch a game they somehow find a way to pull it out.

You know what needs to be done
alamoaggie64
AG
Happy to see Aggie soccer back in win column. Good win against good team.
jkag89
Yes I do, but am willing to take one for the team. As long as it seems to help, I will only enjoy games after the fact through replay.
Rambotx
Aggies were determined to win this match after Ol Miss tied it on the penalty kick.
HiddenAg2
Well at least for one day A&M looked like A&M is supposed to look on the pitch. That was by far our best performance of the season, especially in the second half, with lots of possession and scoring chances. We did miss a couple of easy ones, however the two goals were clinical and it was a deserved win on the road against a good Ole Miss team. The PK seemed a bit harsh to me when Sample collided in the air in the box going for a high header, but she made up for it only a minute later with a hustle play in the box on a cross where she slotted a perfect pass to Hayes for a redirect winner with 3 minutes left. Leaving with a tie would have felt unjust for sure, so I'm happy for the team, which celebrated their first win in six tries in the SEC.

This was an important win because it will help RPI and get us closer to the SEC tourney. Even though we're only 1-4-1, the team is positioned now to win a couple more games and reach Orange Beach. The last few games have been better offensively because we are finishing more chances in front of goal. It's that simple. That and we are controlling more attacking possession and fighting harder to get wide and serve crosses into the box. Carroll had her best game in two seasons which was really fun to watch. Hopefully she continues at this level the rest of the season.

If the last few games are a trend, we might peak at the right time late in the postseason and be a dangerous team. Let's see if this can continue on Friday against a very beatable Auburn side.
MookieBlaylock
AG
jkag89 said:

Yes I do, but am willing to take one for the team. As long as it seems to help, I will only enjoy games after the fact through replay.

Thank you for volunteering as Tribute
akm91
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

jkag89 said:

Thank you for volunteering as Tribute
mullokmotx
AG
Our RPI improved to 27. I still worry about making the SEC Tournament because I'm not sure the NCAA selection committee will pick a team that did not make their 10-team conference tournament. Auburn is one of 3 teams tied for 9th place 3 points ahead of us. I consider this Friday's game a must win. 6 years ago a home win late in the season against Auburn got us into the NCAA Tournament and 2 years ago a home win over Auburn gave us a share of the SEC title.
Hidden, the SEC Tournament got moved to Pensacola this year.
mullokmotx
AG
Congratulations to Maile Hayes for being named SEC Offensive Player of the Week!
MookieBlaylock
AG
amazing write up in the Eagle

Maile Hayes' game-winning goal came in the 87th minute as the Aggies beat No. 20 Ole Miss 2-1 Sunday at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium.

After a scoreless first half, both teams picked it up in the second half. The Aggies struck first with a goal from Laney Carroll in the 60th minute. Hayes assisted on Carroll's goal.

Ole Miss answered as Mo O'Connor scored on a penalty kick in the 85th minute. Two minutes later though, Hayes delivered the game-winner with an assist from Karlina Sample.

A&M (7-5-3, 1-4-1 SEC) returns home to Ellis Field this Friday for a showdown with Auburn (6-3-5, 2-3-1) at 7 p.m.

its like they just read the box score
CDub06
AG
Not much more than they've been doing this year in the game previews on 12thman.com
Aggie Futbol
Just watched the game. Much better offensively.
Much more attacking from wide players and central players. The push forward was far superior to many of the teams prior games. Central midfield play was also much better offensively.

Defense remains a concern. Our play on the right side is very unpredictable and concerning. The midfielders still must do a better job of tracking and marking back.
tamufan
Hayes was the clear choice for player of the match, and good to see her recognized by the SEC. I love the way she plays, enthusiasm and determination all in one. What's not to like? She gives every indication that she would run through a brick wall if needed. We can use all of that attitude that we can get.

After criticizing our right back earlier in the week, I want to applaud her hustle on that second goal. That was no soft assist. I'll add that her passing was mostly more on target. As for her penalty, well, I think she was a bit unlucky. Trying to make the play and arrived just a fraction late. Clearly trying to play the ball. It was a tough call -- I wouldn't say unwarranted, but not every referee would have awarded a penalty on that play.

And I'll second those comments about the broadcast. I detest watching a camera pointing at the bench and babbling on while the action continues on the pitch. It seems to happen a bit even in the highest level of soccer broadcasts -- see the recent WNT game -- but it went beyond the pale in our last game.
MookieBlaylock
AG
They just released the Hayes goal from the other side

Sample completely disses Hayes who runs to her to celebrate

Explains so much
coloradoag69
AG
I'll add my complaints to whoever is the director of the soccer steaming. Let's just go a whole game with NO camera shots of anything but the action. We don't need to see the coaches, assistant coaches, goalies who are staring at the action at the other end of the field, or any player just looking at the action elsewhere.

Concentrate on the fricking game and forget everything else!
greg.w.h
AG
coloradoag69 said:

I'll add my complaints to whoever is the director of the soccer steaming. Let's just go a whole game with NO camera shots of anything but the action. We don't need to see the coaches, assistant coaches, goalies who are staring at the action at the other end of the field, or any player just looking at the action elsewhere.

Concentrate on the fricking game and forget everything else!
ESPNU…though probably augmented by student staff at Oxford.
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit had this twitter comment:

"inStat Top Rated

1. Maile Hayes (A&M)
2. Lauren Montgomery (OM)
3. Katie Smith (A&M)
4. Laney Carroll (A&M)
5. Mo O'Connor (OM)

Fine time for A&M's best attacking performance in a league game in ages."
Giggem
AG
I share the frustration of lingering shots of non-game action, but I would gladly take the Ole Miss production over the A&M video production in a heartbeat.

Ole Miss showed game action with a wide-field view and little camera panning or zooming. In stark, nauseating contrast, the A&M production employs non-stop close-in shots and wild panning of the camera back and forth to follow the ball. It's like watching a basketball game via a camera that zooms in only on the player currently with the ball and then pans wildly to follow the ball every time the ball is passed. Or, it's like watching a football game via a camera that zooms in only on the quarterback and then follows the ball in flight to wherever the QB throws it, without showing the target receiver until the receiver catches the ball. The point is, we want to see where that player is going to send the ball, not watch them possess it.

It's clear no one who operates a camera at Ellis or directs the production has any clue that the game of soccer is about what happens next--who's in space, who's running to create space, and where is the player now with the ball going to send the ball next?

As much soccer knowledge as we have in the A&M Soccer department, it's shocking to me how poor and seasickness-inducing the 12th Man Productions presentation is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.