******BTHO Mississippi State******

6,036 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MookieBlaylock
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Expert Analysis said:

Our coaches really need to reevaluate our formation and strategy. What we are doing is not working. If we had Geczik I would definitely go to a 4 person back line. I'd much rather have our outside backs pushing up to take part in the attack then full relying on the outside mids to do everything. Taking pressure off our outside mids to constantly be thinking about defense should help them play better. Without Geczik maybe Matula is who should go there. I'd play Cornog or Pounds at the 6. We need a center mid who can move with the ball up the field, either Pante or Carroll. Our outside mids would be Pante/Carroll and Colvin. I'd keep McDonald up top but actually work with her to make her a better striker. Hayes is up top as well. This is a small change from our current formation but should help solidify the back line. I would not play our outside mids as wide as we are frequently playing them, I think it hurts our passing and ability to control the ball in the midfield. Moving to a 4 back set with a single 6 would lend to narrowing up the mids a little anyway. I would greatly increase the number of diagonal runs toward the goal and toward balls played to the corner flag ahead of mids or forwards. This in combination with our weakside players more routinely getting into better receiving positions should increase the number of chances we have at goal.
Yes. I've been saying we should return to a 4 back line for over a year now. It's just too much pressure on our back 3 right now and they are consistently giving up terrible goals now. Drop Matula or Dumond into the back 4 and move Pante to center mid for more creativity moving into the attack. I'm not sure what to with Carroll because she is having a disjointed season so far.
Expert Analysis
AG
Not sure what is up with Laney. I expected a big year from her. She scored in one of the first games and has been absent since. She plays hard but is not overly effective.
Overall I have a similar feeling about most of the team.
Aceswimmer09
The answer is very simple…fire the coach
Peace2u
The problem is not that complicated.
#1 problem is Coaching. There is enough talent to win more, if not look at #1 problem.

Tactically we are out-coached. Why do we insist on a 3-5-2. Defensively a 3 back line is plain dumb. They don't communicate well enough and/or disciplined to play that way. Go to a 4-3-3. It's obvious they want to play an extra defender then make a holding mid a wide back and play 3 mids (1 holding and play 2 attacking) and 3 forwards.

You can then take advantage of playing Colvin/ Maile / Pante as forwards and bring in strong forward subs Carroll / McDonald/ Smith
Aggie Futbol
Disappointing loss but we were clearly the more talented team. Their effort ramped up over the course of the game, particularly when the team went down 1-0. We appear to struggle most up the spine with our central midfielders not contributing sufficiently. Building a sustained attack with midfielders and forwards flooding forward and in front of the goal seems to be lacking. Scoring firepower will continue to be an issue until this issue is solved.

One of the replies mentioned Monogue. That team had five consistent scorers and another two or three that contributed on a somewhat regular basis. As I recall they almost always controlled the center of the field, pushed forward and put massive scoring pressure on the opposing team. They usually played a four back but occasionally switched to a three back to get more pressure in the midfield. The outside backs seemed to spend half the game moving forward which further pressured the opposing team.

The current team has plenty of talent and can compete with almost any other team but they need to find a way to put more emphasis on controlling the spine and overwhelming the opposing teams defense. We may not have the right players, with right skills/talent/experience, to utilize a formation that will promote the themes I touched on.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Bring the hate

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.