******BTHO Clemson******

5,677 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Expert Analysis
Expert Analysis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
corner 3 for the Ags,
this one is going in back of the net
Expert Analysis
AG
or no threat at all
mullokmotx
AG
That field is as bad as the one we played on at Pepperdine in 2019. It's like the grounds crew took the summer off. Very fortunate at the end of the half to not get a penalty.
Expert Analysis
AG
0-0 at the half
Ags controlled a lot of the play, only had one or two threats even with several corners.
Clemson had a couple pushes forward that had us on our heels and resulted in a couple misplays by the defense.

Overall not too bad for 1st game on the road against a decent team.
taylorswift13
AG
WE CAN WIN THIS
taylorswift13
AG
HUGE MISSED OPPORTUNITY after a great nutmeg by Laney Carrol
taylorswift13
AG
McDonald misses a pass in the box two times in a row, both were beautiful set ups by Laney Carrol
BQ_90
AG
Getting all the calls tonight
BQ_90
AG
Announcers - A&M is more physical club. Haven't heard that in a couple years
Aggie Futbol
Second time Sample has been reckless. We are lucky to avoid a PK. She is a wonderful player but she needs to be more thoughtful about this type of play.
Aggie Futbol
Nice play by Sample to clear that cross of the line with her head. We need a few of our players to play with more poise and clean things up a bit.
BQ_90
AG
Final 0-0

IMO,we gotta do better on corner kicks
mullokmotx
AG
Fortunate to leave Clemson with a draw. Colvin and Cornog missed great chances.
blake2003
AG
Could've won… could've lost. Need to value scoring opportunities more. And corners are a disaster. Hopefully we improve.
BQ_90
AG
We both had chances to score, the no calls on Samples where pure luck, esp the second no call. First one was iffy to me
coloradoag69
AG
A tie on the road versus the #25 isn't bad, I guess.

I got to see the last 10 minutes. Clemson got a bunch of calls, and it appeared that we got at most one. Was that the way the whole game was called?
BQ_90
AG
blake2003 said:

Could've won… could've lost. Need to value scoring opportunities more. And corners are a disaster. Hopefully we improve.
Esp with no extra time. I'm guessing there will be a ton of ties this year all over soccer
Rambotx
Back-line and goal keeper play preserved the tie. Need better mid-field and forward offensive play to produce more goal opportunities.
taylorswift13
AG
As the clock hits zero the Aggies walk away without a loss
mullokmotx
AG
Chris Henderson of All White Kit had the following comment:
"Good result on the road for Texas A&M, as the Aggies hold Clemson to a scoreless draw"
Aggie*_86
AG
David Ellis said:

Just an fyi….you can get the Aggie perspective on the game by listening to our broadcast through your 12thManMobile app or by going to 12thMan.com/listen or on 97.3FM in BCS. The pregame show starts at 5:45 central.
That's where I'm tuning in sir!
DeangeloVickers
AG
HiddenAg2
It's been hard to get motivated for this season after last year's brutal end and the loss of Olivieri and now Geczik in the offseason, but here are some quick thoughts:

• Stating the obvious, A&M was the beneficiary of two obviously blown PK calls after Sample dragged her leg twice across Clemson players. It's almost certain the Tigers would have scored at least one of those to win the match. Sample has got to stop lunging at opponents' feet in the box because future refs are going to call that every time. A&M was very fortunate to get the draw.
  • Caldwell is poised for a big season after what we witnessed tonight. At least two point blank saves with her best in the first half by sticking out a foot to stop a certain goal after the defense collapsed in front of her, and then another in front of goal in the second half. She makes herself big in front of goal and her positioning seemed solid all night. It's also pretty telling when she had to come up field to take free kicks (another reason why losing Geczik was a huge blow to the season). Probably the MVP tonight for us.
  • Carolyn Calzada is going to be a good one. She was flat out dominant on the outside, shutting down almost every Clemson attack by excellent positioning and timing her tackles well. She has good speed and the game comes naturally to her. This is why I was questioning why she wasn't rated higher nationally, especially with all her experience with the National team. She was by far our best defender tonight as a true freshman.
  • A&M played well in the first half, controlling possession, but just couldn't create any real chances in the final third, something that has been an issue for years now outside of a few seasons. The midfield is still coming together and I don't think we saw the real lineup out there with a few players out or not at full strength. Newcomers Beccera or Cornog didn't really stand out, but they were involved in some good movement at times through the middle and give-and-goes on the more dangerous chances forward. But I do think Beccera has a chance to be good long term as she can settle the ball and help create a rhythm for the midfield. And Colvin and Cornog have to be better in front of goal. Get your head and shoulders over the ball when you shoot. No more field goals.
  • Outside of Calzada, I thought the defense was sketchy at times tonight. Sure, they had some good stops and takeaways, but I thought both Sample and Smith were just a half step slow tonight. Smith was our best player halfway through last season but just doesn't seem quite the same since that time. And Sample just doesn't have the quickness to stay with opposing forwards on 1v1 situations, which stretches and puts pressure on the backside of the defense. Call me delusional, but I'm a bit concerned about this group as a whole going forward, which sounds strange considering they pitched a shutout (albeit with the ref's help), but I see some real issues here unless they clean it up. I hope I'm completely wrong about this. And of course, Caldwell made us look better than we were. The Tigers could have legitimately scored 4 goals tonight, which would have changed the basic perception of the backline completely.
  • With Hayes playing limited minutes with nagging injury, we just don't have much attack in the final third. As soon as she came into the match, A&M had more juice on the field in attack and it was obvious. Carroll was certainly back to form at times with a nutmeg and a few other setups that should have been converted, but she can't do it herself and she is more of an assist type forward. We need someone who can finish in front of goal. McDonald is not really a forward; she's an outside mid with her speed and quickness because she doesn't have a strong leg to make shots in front of goal. I hope the coaches will pair Hayes with Carroll up top and move McDonald to a more natural position.
  • We continue to struggle on corner kicks. Just not dangerous enough and usually too close to the GK to give us a chance to connect. How about starting the team on the top of the goal box and running on to outside bending kicks? This has always been something that I wish Coach G would go out and hire the best corner kick coach available. It's frustrating year after year.
  • This may sound worse that it was, and I think we'll improve going forward when we are back at full strength, but I'm trying to be realistic about our chances in the SEC and making the tournament. What I saw tonight gives me pause, unless of course Clemson turns out to be a great team.
  • Finally, that might have been the worst field I've ever seen for an opening match that I've been able to see in person or on TV. I mean, come on Clemson, did you guys have a truck rally the weekend before on your home turf? Do you have a grounds crew? Geez, what an embarrassment,
taylorswift13
CDub06
AG
Very good analysis.

The second half was pretty rough and by that point, I was happy with the tie. I forgot about the new No OT rule.

The defense was shaky, but Calzada was impressive - and fun to watch. Man, have we missed Carroll. It was good to see her out there. Caldwell is off to a great start. I thought the first "no-call" was fine, but wow, I thought they'd earned a PK on the second. Aggies couldn't capitalize on a couple of good opportunities. Corners were wasted.

The team will get better and we aren't starting the season on a disappointing note. So, yeah - overall I'm happy with the tie.
mullokmotx
AG
Starting with the OSU game in the Sweet 16 in 2021 we are 7-10-4, and have been shut out 8 times. I would be interested to know what the ref told the Clemson players who were fouled in the box. I don't see how the Clemson grounds crew is going to fix that field with their top ranked men's team starting play next week.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Carroll is elite, just hope we can get her the service she needs
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Where is Olivieri?
Rambotx
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Where is Olivieri?
Pros.
Diego
AG
mullokmotx said:

Starting with the OSU game in the Sweet 16 in 2021 we are 7-10-4, and have been shut out 8 times. I would be interested to know what the ref told the Clemson players who were fouled in the box. I don't see how the Clemson grounds crew is going to fix that field with their top ranked men's team starting play next week.

We also struggled to score goals in the Spring season. At Sam Houston, we scored one goal in the first 5 minutes and they held us scoreless for the next 85 minutes.

Let's hope we find some chemistry that helps us create more quality shots on goal.
CDub06
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Where is Olivieri?
C.F. Monterrey's women's team in the Liga MX Femenil.

http://www.ligafemenil.mx/cancha/jugador/157602/eyJpZENsdWIiOiAxMTE4NX0=/barbara-klarissa-olivieri
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Thanks, Rambo and Cdub!
Expert Analysis
AG
I echo what Hidden said.
I did not realize Geczik was out for the season, that is a huge loss.

Our defense needs to be our strength because we are young everywhere else and offensively we have not had any rhythm or real strategy in years.
Tonight the defense was marginal, Caldwell saved the day several times and had an outstanding game with no real mistakes and several great saves. Sample was flat out bad other than two plays to get the ball out of the box. Smith was mostly steady but not as good as she can be. Calzada was good, great poise/skill/speed for a freshman.

Midfield to the forwards just never had rhythm, too many players just getting lost out there. Somewhat expected with the youth, but someone needs to step up and control the ball and direct the team. Outside of Colvin the mids never got involved much in the offensive 3rd. We have to finish when we have chances because we are not generating quality chances like we used to. Hopefully a healthy Hayes and return of Pante will give the offense a boost. I am glad to see Carroll out there going 100%, she plays with a fire that needs to rub off on some others.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.