Apple Strikes 10 Yr Deal to Carry All MLS Games

2,039 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Starts next year. Kind of a big deal.

https://apple.news/A36FWMhfpQCuswY2aXlSgOg
akm91
AG
Good thing I don't watch MLS matches.
YouBet
AG
I don't either but interesting nonetheless.
wangus12
AG
Oh look another bull**** streaming service to continue the split of sports coverage.
akm91
AG
So it's 10 yrs for $2.5B. Significant jump from the $90M/year MLS is getting right now.
powerbelly
AG
And the MLS continues to harm it's visibility. At least they are getting paid.
AgGrad99
AG
I am very happy to see this:

Quote:

Even with the Apple deal, MLS does have the opportunity to simulcast some games nationally.
So while they will show all the MLS games on Apple, with no blackout restrictions, they can still show marquee games in a national telecast on Fox, ESPN or networks. This is great, because it still gives them pub nationally, but everyone has access to all games.

The guaranteed minimum is 250 million per year...but reportedly it can be more.

So they've tripled their revenue, and will be getting additional exposure. I think it works out for both MLS and Apple, because Im sure Apple will be able to sell some additional subs with the boost in interest from the World Cup this year.
wangus12
AG
Until the NWSL sues them and demands half of it
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Apple will also partner with MLS on presentation of the matches as the league takes over production. This is another step forward for the league, but is similar to the way European soccer leagues do business. All matches will be called in English and Spanish while those involving Canadian clubs will also be available in French.

All matches will also be available in Full HD (1080p) for the first time. Previously, matches were broadcast in 1080i or 720p.

Garber said the league will have a more streamlined schedule beginning next season, with most matches being played on Saturdays at 7 p.m. local time and some on Wednesdays. The only time that might change is for a national broadcast or stadium conflict.

This will also help viewership. Knowing when your favorite team is playing every week will create a habit with viewers.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think I'll end up watching more MLS matches with this set-up.
deadbq03
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

Apple will also partner with MLS on presentation of the matches as the league takes over production. This is another step forward for the league, but is similar to the way European soccer leagues do business. All matches will be called in English and Spanish while those involving Canadian clubs will also be available in French.

All matches will also be available in Full HD (1080p) for the first time. Previously, matches were broadcast in 1080i or 720p.

Garber said the league will have a more streamlined schedule beginning next season, with most matches being played on Saturdays at 7 p.m. local time and some on Wednesdays. The only time that might change is for a national broadcast or stadium conflict.

This will also help viewership. Knowing when your favorite team is playing every week will create a habit with viewers.
And Apple knows who watches Ted Lasso.
AgGrad99
AG
didnt even think about that...but good point
YouBet
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I think I'll end up watching more MLS matches with this set-up.
I think I will too because I generally have no idea when games are unless I run across them in YTTV.

I suspect we will have some kind of dedicated tile in AppleTV now.
Aston94
AG
This could be huge for MLS if they can get a regular schedule of games on ESPN, Fox, etc. as well. Having a vehicle for all their games and then having games on major networks would be fantastic for the league.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Can there still be local broadcast rights with this deal?
floridAG
AG
While teams such as the Sounders and Austin FC have a good presence on ESPN+, teams like our local Orlando City have had poor coverage. Our local broadcasts are carried on one of the local Fox channels. If traveling, we either watch in the team's app or have to watch the homer feed for whatever team we are playing on ESPN+. The Apple TV move seems like it will be an improvement for teams like Orlando City. Apple TV will have a stronger sports presence with MLS to add to its MLB coverage.
AgGrad99
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

Can there still be local broadcast rights with this deal?
I think this will replace the local broadcasts. It'll be a change, but I think it'll be a good thing overall going forward.

A lot of the teams experience regular blackouts on local channels, and a lot of the local channels are secondary networks (like the CW in Austin). This is available to all, and there will be no more blackouts.

The MLS also said that their demographics skews young, and something like 80% use streaming for TV. So it's not as big a hurdle for the majority of the fan base, as it is maybe me (Im old and would typically prefer the network).
YouBet
AG
Yes, I agree this will be a game changing move for MLS.

Question: with appletv being native 4k for everything will these games be in 4k or upscaled somehow? A lot of foreign matches I watch effectively look like they are in standard definition.
AgGrad99
AG
All I could find from the AP article:

Quote:

Bryan98
AG
I have enjoyed watching Dynamo games on local broadcast (OTA) channels in the past, and I love that there was a free option for a league that still desperately needs growth.

I don't know if this move is good for the growth of the fanbase, but at least it's 100% of the games. I hate the piecemeal way one has to find games as a sports fan right now. The other positive about this deal is that it's a universally available streaming service, and not something like AT&T Sports Southwest, which most providers don't offer.
Rudyjax
AG
My only issue with streaming services is it's not on demand.

If FC Dallas plays at 7, I can turn it on at 8:30 and watch from the beginning.
YouBet
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Record all FC Dallas games. Problem solved. Probably a 1 click action.
Rudyjax
AG
YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Yeah. I have that now.

But if they're on Apple that won't be possible, right?

Will they still be on 21? Im confused.
deadbq03
AG
YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Many apps don't offer a way to pre-record.

Maybe I'm missing something, but ESPN+ for example will let you pause once you've started something and it lets you replay after it's over, but you can't start the game late.

And you absolutely can't change devices while you're behind live action, which is frustrating for me because I frequently will be out of the house and running late, so I'll spin up the game on my phone and pause it, but then when I get back home and sit down to watch I have to watch on my phone.
YouBet
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Yeah. I have that now.

I'm assuming. Could be wrong but I would be surprised if there is not a way to watch games whenever you want either through recording or them just saving off games for your teams.

If they don't have that, then it will be annoying.
Jim01
AG
I have to say as a newer soccer fan (last 6-7 years or so), MLS holds no appeal for me right now.

I support Chelsea and between EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, etc., plus the USMNT and USWNT games there is more than enough soccer for me without having a desire to learn another league.

Even though we live in Houston, if we go to soccer games it's Dash games, as my daughter is in their Girls Academy and I love watching the women's games with her.

I understand their games are fun live, but unless it's already on a platform I pay for then I would never pay extra for it. I don't currently use Apple TV but will sign up when Ted Lasso starts back up.
heddleston
AG
Because of my time zone (GMT +3) it's actually easier for me to watch my euro league teams than MLS, but I watch more Sounders games than I do Everton or anything else. Part of that is because the former team is generally elite at their level while the other is tragic and frustrating, but overall MLS is such a fun league to keep up with. I haven't done Apple TV+ but depending on how much they charge for the full package I'll probably jump aboard.

Hopefully consistent scheduling will help, I've missed consecutive sounders games in the past because they were at weird times/dates.
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Because of my work schedule, I end up watching a lot of MLS matches on my DVR. As someone previously said, it's a challenge to do this with streaming services, particularly if you want to start a match that is in progress. Don't get me wrong... I have plenty of streaming services, but for sports, they are suboptimal.

Based on the most recent numbers I could find, MLS viewership still lags behind the other major leagues. It's interesting that this new deal exceeds the NHL's in revenue. Maybe I'm missing something, but if people aren't watching MLS for free, why would they pay for it?
PatAg
AG
Jim01 said:

I have to say as a newer soccer fan (last 6-7 years or so), MLS holds no appeal for me right now.

I support Chelsea and between EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, etc., plus the USMNT and USWNT games there is more than enough soccer for me without having a desire to learn another league.

Even though we live in Houston, if we go to soccer games it's Dash games, as my daughter is in their Girls Academy and I love watching the women's games with her.

I understand their games are fun live, but unless it's already on a platform I pay for then I would never pay extra for it. I don't currently use Apple TV but will sign up when Ted Lasso starts back up.

Gotta support local
YouBet
AG
aggiesoccer#1fan said:

Because of my work schedule, I end up watching a lot of MLS matches on my DVR. As someone previously said, it's a challenge to do this with streaming services, particularly if you want to start a match that is in progress. Don't get me wrong... I have plenty of streaming services, but for sports, they are suboptimal.

Based on the most recent numbers I could find, MLS viewership still lags behind the other major leagues. It's interesting that this new deal exceeds the NHL's in revenue. Maybe I'm missing something, but if people aren't watching MLS for free, why would they pay for it?

Probably just looking at the trends. MLS is about where the NHL is in popularity and will surpass it soon with its trajectory. Knowing Apple they tend to not do do stuff Willy nilly so I'm sure their market research shows them a good business case.

Now the interesting thing will be is if Apple TV users get to watch as part of current sub, will there be a separate MLS package that is a fee, or will overall sub price increase for everyone. If they come out of the gate with either of latter two options this could be a problem.
Rudyjax
AG
YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Yeah. I have that now.

I'm assuming. Could be wrong but I would be surprised if there is not a way to watch games whenever you want either through recording or them just saving off games for your teams.

Most streaming services you can't start them in progress from the beginning. So if it's a 7pm game, then it would have to be 9:30 or later. And I know with peacock, ESPN, paramount, they're not available until hours later.

If that's the case, then boo.
Aston94
AG
Man I really hope Apple can figure out a recording platform for these games so one can watch on demand and not have to either watch live or after match is over.
YouBet
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Yeah. I have that now.

Most streaming services you can't start them in progress from the beginning. So if it's a 7pm game, then it would have to be 9:30 or later. And I know with peacock, ESPN, paramount, they're not available until hours later.

You can with YTTV.

Example:
1. Tell YTTV to record all FC Dallas games.
2. Go to Library and pick the FC Dallas currently in progress and start it from beginning.

I assume AppleTV will do the same here. If they don't, that's dumb.
Hydrocele_aggie
akm91 said:

Good thing I don't watch MLS matches.

Oh soccer snobs so cool
Aston94
AG
YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

YouBet said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Yeah. I have that now.

You can with YTTV.

Example:
1. Tell YTTV to record all FC Dallas games.
2. Go to Library and pick the FC Dallas currently in progress and start it from beginning.

I assume AppleTV will do the same here. If they don't, that's dumb.
You Tube TV has the best recording functions I have seen. Most cable options like you tube tv have good recording options. The apps themselves (Amazon, Apple, ESPN, Paramount, Peacock, etc.) lack in the recording functionality. I think the main issue is most of their content is not live, it is all on demand, and sports are not a huge part of their package, but as they get more into the sports world you would hope their recording will improve.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.