Newcastle Relegation?

6,681 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ElCheAg
Kampfers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

Furlock Bones said:

wangus12 said:

I mean its the same story as City and PSG.
not quite the same. Newcastle is already an historic club. Neither City or PSG can say the same.

Honest question - do y'all really consider the "historicalness" of a club when contemplating how you should react to a change in ownership? Because I definitely don't. I could see why it'd register for someone from England or Spain or Italy or Germany, but my American mind just doesn't really go there naturally.

Some people have this weird conception that only the same 3-4 clubs who happened to be good at the time revenue really took off in their league should ever be allowed to be good and spend money.

Either implement a salary cap of sorts or shut the **** up about owner spending. No one gives a **** about how Man U or Bayern "deserves" to have a higher budget than every other club because they were dominant 30 ****ing years ago and used that to solidify their commercial revenue streams as the game globalized and tv rights skyrocketed.

There's arguments about the ethics of the ownership group but that's separate to the issue of club sugar daddies as a whole.

As to the ethics - I value the opinions of fans from any club who doesn't regularly finish in the top 6 far more than any that does. I see by far the most vitriol from United/Liverpool/arsenal fans, and it makes sense - they have the most to lose with a resurgent Newcastle. Their ethical concerns may be well founded, but forgive me for doubting their motives in voicing them.
jeffk
AG
Kampfers said:

As to the ethics - I value the opinions of fans from any club who doesn't regularly finish in the top 6 far more than any that does. I see by far the most vitriol from United/Liverpool/arsenal fans, and it makes sense - they have the most to lose with a resurgent Newcastle. Their ethical concerns may be well founded, but forgive me for doubting their motives in voicing them.

Ah yes, the "your high horse is higher than my high horse" rationale.
jeffk
AG
Totally with you on the spending caps though.
Kampfers
AG
jeffk said:

Kampfers said:

Ah yes, the "your high horse is higher than my high horse" rationale.
Not calling you out, haha, I know you're principled. I just think that if Bezos/Musk/Gates/etc came in and purchased Sunderland/Villa/Forest and started pouring tons of money into transfer fees you'd hear a lot of the same people whining about the "destruction of the game as we know it" and how "plastics ruin football". They don't really care about human rights. They just know that the ethical argument plays a lot better, so are running with it for the moment.

Regarding the ethics of Saudi ownership, it personally doesn't bother me. Yeah, yeah, sportswashing. The UK and the Saudis did business to the tune of 10.1 billion last year. They are attempting to negotiate a trade partnership since leaving the EU. They sell the Saudis billions worth of weapons. Some reports tie the total number of weapon sales during the Yemeni conflict to be close to 20 billion.

All of this is occurring during/after/despite the situation in Yemen and the Khashoggi murder. Despite the segregation of men and women in society. Despite the fact that people still get beheaded, flogged, or amputated as a result of their crimes. Despite the fact that protest is banned. Despite the fact that habeas corpus doesn't exist in Saudi Arabia. Many of the underlying human rights issues in Saudi Arabia have been present for decades, and the British government and people have both helped to enrich and propped up the Saudi government. Where they haven't directly aided, they have been complicit. They have not lodged complaints against Saudi behavior with international human rights governing bodies or watchdogs. They have not attempted to exert pressure on the Saudis to reform.

All of a sudden, now we care? Is the UK going to cut off the rest of their trade? Oil imports? Make it illegal for the Saudi royal family to invest in publicly-held British corporations? Stop selling weapons that are being used to oppress a religious and ethnic minority?

IMO it's entirely performative, and as such I can't be bothered to care much about it.
jeffk
AG
Haha. Good points. Somewhat explains why I personally care more about the PSG or Newcastle takeovers than I do Chelsea. Sports ownership isn't filled with a lot of "good" people. But there's a difference to me between the not "good" group and entities that I don't have to stretch much to label as "evil."
River
Newcastle United supporter here. Anything is better than the mismanagement under Ashley. Looking forward to at least compete in the EPL rather than fighting relegation every year.
deadbq03
AG
This is firmly in rumor territory, but this would be a stunning spend, if true.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10394419/Newcastle-launch-ambitious-RB-Leipzig-star-Amadou-Haidara.html

TLDR: Man U (and others) want Haidara from Leipzig. Leipzig don't want to sell this window. Haidara loves Man U. Everyone was happy to let the deal happen this summer when the player's release clause activates… but Newcastle may pay nearly triple to get him now.
ElCheAg
AG
Believe...
ElCheAg
AG
Thank you, Jonjo
aTm papi
Should've kept Rafa Benitez!
KCup17
AG
Newcastle having a monster Transfer window. Love to see it.
Furlock Bones
AG
Newcastle mows down Everton 3-1.
KCup17
AG
We are staying up.
Furlock Bones
AG
Well crap. Trippier diagnosed with a broken metatarsal in his foot.
KCup17
AG
Looks like recovery from such an injury takes 6 weeks to several months...
Furlock Bones
AG
KCup17 said:

Looks like recovery from such an injury takes 6 weeks to several months...
yep. Rooney rushed back from his to play in the World Cup and he said it extremely painful and set him back in the end.
ElCheAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Well crap. Trippier diagnosed with a broken metatarsal in his foot.

Dadgumit!
KCup17
AG
We should have come away with all 3 points against West Ham. We looked the better side for much of the game. Exciting times for the Toon.
ElCheAg
AG
Team playing much looser, and taking good risks.
KCup17
AG
Eddie Howe working wonders for this squad. Shows what a competent manager can do for a club. Numerous players look like completely different players under his leadership.
ElCheAg
AG
Indeed.
ElCheAg
AG
What a save by Dubravka!
Furlock Bones
AG
ElCheAg said:

What a save by Dubravka!
saved the win. Newcastle officially out of the relegation battle. they could challenge for top half which is incredible.
ElCheAg
AG
I believe they could. Howe has chess pieces to use (i.e. MSM and Co.) to finally use.
Furlock Bones
AG
Is this ref still on Romans books? Chelski should be down 2 men and a clear pen not given. Absolutely ruining a match.
Furlock Bones
AG
Havertz who should have 100% been sent off in the first half scores the late winner. Shocker. This ref should never see another EPL match.
ElCheAg
AG
Yes!

What a goal.
River
Guimaraes for the win!
KCup17
AG
Best Bruno in the league. Up the Mags!
KCup17
AG
Almiron with an absolute stunner. 1-0 to the Toon.
ElCheAg
AG
Gorgeous finish. And the assist by Bruno was sweet.
ElCheAg
AG
Joelinton wanting that hat trick badly.
Furlock Bones
AG
Great win today. take champions league out of arsenal's hands.
ElCheAg
AG
Indeed. Newcastle played sharp today.
agsalaska
AG
That was the first time I have seen them play this calendar year. They were really good today. They smoked Arsenal. That could have easily been 4-0.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.