Disappointed in Cannon

1,722 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Holdenb11
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

He said the abuse included: "Threatening to kill your family, threatening to show up at your house, threatening to do vulgar things to you, that I can't say. It is, unfortunately, part of the society that America is today, especially when Trump was in charge. Now we have moved past that.

Cannon is hopeful that policy in the U.S. will soon shift. "I don't think one man can fix the damage done," he said of President Joe Biden, who has been in office since Jan. 20. "I am talking about racial tension in this country (USA), which is a huge issue which people refuse to admit.

Another misinformed/brainwashed young athlete. Everything he stated started well before Trump was office.

Reggie Cannon interview
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

He said the abuse included: "Threatening to kill your family, threatening to show up at your house, threatening to do vulgar things to you, that I can't say. It is, unfortunately, part of the society that America is today, especially when Trump was in charge. Now we have moved past that.

Cannon is hopeful that policy in the U.S. will soon shift. "I don't think one man can fix the damage done," he said of President Joe Biden, who has been in office since Jan. 20. "I am talking about racial tension in this country (USA), which is a huge issue which people refuse to admit.

Another misinformed/brainwashed young athlete. Everything he stated started well before Trump was office.

Reggie Cannon interview
How is he misinformed, when you bolded what he experienced?
akm91
AG
Because things like that was happening before Trump was president. To tie it to Trump is being misinformed.

The whole Black Lives Matter movement was misinformation to begin with.
Texaggie7nine
Wow that is pretty ignorant of him. To think that race relations are so much better over there than the US. HA. Especially in Portugal.

I was living in Portugal for a month last year before the pandemic. They just had had an episode in Guimaraes Portugal where Porto's player Moussa Marega walked of the pitch because he had had it with the monkey noises the fans were making at him.

Things like that are not out of the norm in Europe football.

This dude is either in for a rude awakening, or he is lying out of his teeth just to try to make Americans feel bad.
7nine
Thunder18
AG
None of the things he mentions are unique to USA
Onceaggie2.0
Cannon is a dumb ass....The media is the one who stokes the racial tension in this country
Onceaggie2.0
Thunder18 said:

None of the things he mentions are unique to USA
They are worse in Europe but he is working over there and drawing a paycheck maybe he should stay over there.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
It's pretty disappointing that people feel he need to threaten his life due to his political opinions.
oh no
AG
Quote:

Threatening to kill your family, threatening to show up at your house, threatening to do vulgar things to you, that I can't say.
Hard to believe this is true, especially since soccer and MLS fans are so few and certainly not the parts of American society most commonly associated with racism (deep south, rural, etc.), but we have to take his word for it.

From my experiences abroad, USA is better than most with race relations. BIPOCs in executive positions and on boards of directors, in high ranking elected or appointed positions in governments, owning businesses, etc. and the amount of mixed race and biracial families is big and has been growing steadily. Media sensationalism and social media mob group think after some unfortunate police encounters should have brought attention to connecting poverty and income levels to violent crimes and police encounters, but instead, it seems to have brainwashed so many people to think we Americans are all evil bigots, worse than everywhere else in the world, and somehow it's that one guy who was president for 4 years' fault, nevermind the fact that we Americans elected a black POTUS twice. Pretty sad.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Racism in America goes well beyond the South.
oh no
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

oh i know. just surprised american soccer fans are the types to threaten a soccer player's life.. that sounds so... European... or south american i should say.
akm91
AG
oh no said:

oh i know. just surprised american soccer fans are the types to threaten a soccer player's life.. that sounds so... European... or south american i should say.
Except Europeans threaten soccer player's life of crappy play; here it's because of SJW stance. Not sure if the death threats were actually idiots or fake to make one political spectrum look bad.

Did they actually investigate those death threats?
PatAg
AG

IMO, it is worse up North and out West.

I wasn't saying I agreed with him about it being Trump's fault, but your post read like you were dismissing the bs he had to endure.

Europe IS objectively worse, they will throw actual banana peels at black players, and hoot like monkeys in the stand.
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

oh no said:

Except Europeans threaten soccer player's life of crappy play; here it's because of SJW stance. Not sure if the death threats were actually idiots or fake to make one political spectrum look bad.

I would imagine they werent actual soccer fans, and more anti-minority types.
TXAggie2011
AG
Two things:

(1) He did not say it did not exist before Donald Trump.

(2) And it does not matter whether racism is "worse" somewhere else or not. The behavior he describes is abhorrent. Period.
oh no
AG
PatAg said:

akm91 said:

oh no said:

the anti-minority types that actually pay attention to what a soccer player has to say
oh no
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Two things:

(2) And it does not matter whether racism is "worse" somewhere else or not. The behavior he describes is abhorrent. Period.
agreed, especially that the behavior is abhorrent.

...but these types of comments coming from an American playing in Portugal seem to make it sound like Trump is responsible and that his fellow Americans are worse here than people over there. You can understand why some people would not appreciate the way that comes off.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
PatAg said:

IMO, it is worse up North and out West.

I wasn't saying I agreed with him about it being Trump's fault, but your post read like you were dismissing the bs he had to endure.

Europe IS objectively worse, they will throw actual banana peels at black players, and hoot like monkeys in the stand.

That wasn't my intention at all. I clearly said it's sad that anyone thought they should threaten him because of his political opinions.
Texaggie7nine
oh no said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Two things:

agreed, especially that the behavior is abhorrent.

...but these types of comments coming from an American playing in Portugal seem to make it sound like Trump is responsible and that his fellow Americans are worse here than people over there. You can understand why some people would not appreciate the way that comes off.
Exactly. He stated that him being over there changed his view on the US "one million percent".
7nine
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

PatAg said:

akm91 said:

oh no said:

the anti-minority types that actually pay attention to what a soccer player has to say
I guess you are just being intellectually dishonest in this thread?

He was on the field when they took a knee during the anthem (they also asked MLS to NOT play the anthem, as theyt were going to take a knee before the match started. MLS played it anyways)

So that made the news, hence you get non-soccer fans sending him racist *****
Onceaggie2.0
Does he kneel during the Portuguese anthem? Such a tough life he has lived. I will pray for him.
carl spacklers hat
Wait until someone throws a banana at him or imitates monkey noises in his direction. Racism is as prevalent in Europe, if not more so, as it is in the US. Maybe he should try not being such a *****.
PatAg
AG
These last 2 people on this thread are actual horrible people.
TXAggie2011
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Wait until someone throws a banana at him or imitates monkey noises in his direction. Racism is as prevalent in Europe, if not more so, as it is in the US. Maybe he should try not being such a *****.
This is such nonsense. You can believe Donald Trump had nothing to do with it, you can believe Europe is 10x worse, you can believe a lot of things...and still say there ought to be no tolerance in the United States for death threats, etc.
Holdenb11
There should be no tolerance in the United States, or anywhere, for threats of physical violence. Further, we should all try to understand each other's perspective when taking a stand for what you believe in.

For example, this would probably be an inappropriate response to Reggie's stance of asking that the national anthem not be played and when denied, kneeling during the national anthem.

"I think it was disgusting. I think it's absolutely disgusting.You have players insulting fans for taking a stand for what they believe in. Millions of other people support the anthem and the flag, and we've got players disrespecting that in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that? Honestly, for lack of a better word, it pi$$ed me off. You can't even support your own country? It's baffling to me. I'm sorry for the players when they don't understand what the anthem and the flag means, they don't understand why we respect the anthem and the flag, they can't see the reason, they just think we're the ignorant ones and it's incredibly frustrating. And I'm sorry to have this tone but you have to call it for what it is."

And that is the problem with the myopic perspective of people like Reggie and so many SJWs of today. But they can't see that because they believe in what Shelby Steel would call 'poetic truth' despite the actual truth staring them in the face.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.