Texas A&M signings on NSD

5,337 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carissa Boeckmann
Maile Hayes
Mia Pante
Makhiya McDonald
Macy Matula
Jordyn Gunnarson
Natalie Abel

In chronological order of when announced!

Gig'em Ags! Welcome to Texas A&M.
CDub06
blake2003
sharpdressedman
Rambotx
Diego
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
achmom
jeffk
DuncanField91
mullokmotx
AG
On December 1 Coach G had a #yessir tweet with a California flag, so I checked Top Drawer Soccer and it shows a commitment from 2021 defender Olivia Fetzer of the SoCal Blues. Have not seen any official word of her signing.
It will be interesting to see how many of these players start school January 19.
oldfart79
i really have to ask, please tellme why in twenty something yrs we havent won a naty.
oldfart79
CDub06
AG
I mean...because we've not had the best team in a given year? Why hasn't football or men's basketball or baseball won in the last 20+ years? Same reason, right? It's hard to do.

To be fair, I think only 10 different teams have won since A&M started their squad.
greg.w.h
AG
oldfart79 said:

i really have to ask, please tellme why in twenty something yrs we havent won a naty.
My take is it has taken a generation for the play of women's soccer to exit American notions of how to play the game and copy the Europeans and Mexicans. We saw what happens with a single Mexican bringing her game honed at least partially in a real crucible.

We have an opportunity to change the game. Coach G has built the foundation that allows outstanding players to stand out. Reminds me of Gary Blair doing it with his team as well specifically Danielle Adams and Chennedy Carter.

Now the question is how do we accelerate that in the coming years with more support for G's vision. One Cup semifinal proved he can lead the team to the upper echelon if not define that echelon. We aren't a traditional women's country club sourced private. Training in the summer in College Station is brutal. Maybe an inside facility to help mediate the training is the next step.

The only alternative is young player training that promotes directly to the USWNT and emergence of semi-pro training and clubs. Given Title IX, the current approach is still building off the first 40 years. You can win it all if you go deep in tournaments. You can't if you don't.
oldfart79
my take is to get some one new it shouldnt take twenty something yrs to win or at least play for one naty. my opinon is give gary his gold watch and tell him thanks. im sure with what we have invested i n soc we can get a very good and hungry coach to make there bones. alot of good players have gone thur here and dont have much to show for it.
oldfart79
oldfart79
p.s it doesnt take 20 something yrs to build something, four or five yrs max for a proven coach. all i know is alot more intrest in soc as far as big money ags are getting a little fed up with out return on the money
oldfart79
Diego
AG
oldfart79 said:

p.s it doesnt take 20 something yrs to build something, four or five yrs max for a proven coach. all i know is alot more intrest in soc as far as big money ags are getting a little fed up with out return on the money
We just went 8-2 in a SEC only schedule and won a share of the conference title with a bunch of freshmen. And you want to look for a new coach? oldfart79 needs some Beano
jeffk
AG
We just need a more hungry coach? Sounds pretty straightforward to me!
oldfart79
so what your saying is give this guy another 3 or four yrs to try agian , please hes had enough time to get it right. im telling you the money guys are serious about someone just doing enough to get a pay check. by the way baseball and softball is in the same place as soc . money spent and not getting a return. thats the facts.
oldfart79
oldfart79
mite ask how do i know the fat money are getting upset i have coffee with them every friday morning.
oldfart79
jeffk
AG
Ask them who we should hire to get our name on this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Women%27s_Soccer_Championship#Team_titles
CDub06
AG
oldfart79 said:

my take is to get some one new it shouldnt take twenty something yrs to win or at least play for one naty. my opinon is give gary his gold watch and tell him thanks. im sure with what we have invested i n soc we can get a very good and hungry coach to make there bones. alot of good players have gone thur here and dont have much to show for it.
I'd ask you again if you think it's just that easy, then why do you see our other programs without a national championship? The difference between them and soccer though is the sustained level of success we've had. We're scratching to string together back-to-back tournament appearances in men's basketball, while we have 25 consecutive appearances in soccer.

Although, your plan seems simplistic, you have some gaps in your knowledge of the sport and program. For instance, Gary coaches women's basketball, not the soccer team. That seems like a pretty big distinction for someone that is "drinking coffee with the big wigs."
oldfart79
how many coaches have we had in other sports, we dont give those coaches twenty yrs to build something. why should we give soc coach that much time. im tell ya time is running out with him and he must produce fast not four yrs not three.
oldfart79
oldfart79
by the way gary short for guerrier. by the way just sit and watch and we'll all see what happens .
oldfart79
jeffk
AG
Guerrieri.
BQ_90
AG
oldfart79 said:

how many coaches have we had in other sports, we dont give those coaches twenty yrs to build something. why should we give soc coach that much time. im tell ya time is running out with him and he must produce fast not four yrs not three.
Fitting, you're full of more **** than a Christmas goose
HiddenAg2
We've had this discussion over the years and I don't believe for one second that there are big donors sitting around talking about putting pressure on the AD to replace Coach G. This is women's soccer, not football, basketball, or baseball. I've had my issues with Coach G over the years in underachieving in some seasons where we could have won it all (2007), but to CDub's point, the truth is we really haven't had the consistent level of talent to compete for a title with the likes of UNC, Stanford, UCLA, or even Florida State.

In a minor sport like women's soccer, no AD in the country would fire a coach who makes the NCAA tourney every year and advances to the 2nd Round/Sweet 16 consistently. Coach G has done a very good job at A&M whether you like him or not. And unless the program collapses with multiple losing seasons in a row, he will choose when he leaves A&M. If the big donors really want to help take the program to the next level, let's figure out a way to upgrade our facilities (yes we are behind now) and make the program more attractive to those elite level prospects. Recruiting is the key and we do need to improve there if the goal is to win a title. There is a big difference between a top 10-15 class and a top 5 class. I like what Coach G did in the offseason to change tactics to make us better in the midfield, and it resulted in a conference title.

Finally, who are you going to bring in if you replace him? We are not getting Dorrance and there are only a handful of coaches that would even be considered an upgrade and those coaches are entrenched and not coming to A&M barring breaking the bank for a minor sport, which will never happen. Things could be much worse if you just made a change to make a change and the program may never recover.
99StationAG
AG
-Under his tutelage, Texas A&M is one of only four teams to play in every NCAA Tournament the last 25 seasons
-Guerrieri has led the Maroon & White to 15 Sweet Sixteens, six Elite Eights and the 2014 NCAA Women's College Cup
-Coach G's Aggies have consistently been ranked in the national top 25 over the past 20+ seasons while attracting some of the top soccer players in the world to College Station
-Don't know the exact stat, but probably more National Team Players and Pro's produced by A&M in the past 5 years than ever before
-Guerreri ranks fourth all-time among NCAA Division I coaches with 472 Wins
-Eighth all-time with a .746 winning percentage
-He has guided Texas A&M to nine conference regular-season titles and eight conference tournament crowns
-He is a four-time conference coach of the year and five-time NSCAA Central Region Coach of the Year
-Guerrieri and North Carolina's Anson Dorrance are the only two coaches to lead a team to 25 consecutive NCAA Championship tournaments
-With Guerrieri at the helm, Texas A&M has established one of the greatest college soccer atmospheres in the country. The Aggies ranked in the top three in home attendance from 2002-19, including the nation's top attendance in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2018
-Furthermore, Guerrieri's teams have won 86 percent of their home matches since the Aggie Soccer Stadium opened in 1994
-He also helped Ellis Field secure College Cup hosting bids on three occasions
-Team GPA is normally one of the highest year in and year out, at A&M and Nationally
-Gets a few 1,000 kids and Families on campus for Aggie Soccer Camps every Summer
-As involved, or more involved, in Community outreach than almost any other other Aggie Coach, current or former
-Only (10) Women's Soccer Teams have won a NCAA Title in last (39) years, (21) of those by UNC
-(10) Teams have won in College Football in last (20) years, for another sample-size/snap shot

Sure, I'd love a Natty too, but for a non-revenue sport, especially with the damage COVID will have on University Athletic and overall budgets, winning a National Championship ranks somewhere father down the list than you may think!

WB '99
99StationAG
AG
Also worth noting, Coach G has arguably the best Associate Coach and Assistant Coach in Phil and Lori Stephenson respectively, so if you're replacing G, your likely passing on the entire Staff, and rolling the dice on an entirely new one...

Just my two pennies!

WB '99
Diego
AG
99StationAG said:

Also worth noting, Coach G has arguably the best Associate Coach and Assistant Coach in Phil and Lori Stephenson respectively, so if you're replacing G, your likely passing on the entire Staff, and rolling the dice on an entirely new one...

Just my two pennies!

WB '99
THIS!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CDub06 said:

I mean...because we've not had the best team in a given year? Why hasn't football or men's basketball or baseball won in the last 20+ years? Same reason, right? It's hard to do.

To be fair, I think only 10 different teams have won since A&M started their squad.
North Carolina dominated for about 10 years - they were the first to field a team. We always got them in the

playoff - one year we led but our best scorer Pistorius got hurt early- lost by one goal. Believe they won the Nat!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
99StationAG said:

Just my two pennies!

WB '99

Every former player I know says that they are the heart of the program.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
mullokmotx
AG
Will be looking to see if any of the signees start school this week. Normally there is an announcement that they have enrolled during the first week of classes.
BQ_90
AG
mullokmotx said:

Will be looking to see if any of the signees start school this week. Normally there is an announcement that they have enrolled during the first week of classes.
hope they do, they'll get a chance for some tourney experience right outta the gate.
mullokmotx
AG
A tweet on Aggie Soccer Twitter welcomes Maile Hays, Macy Matula and Mia Pante to campus.
I don't know about them being able to play in real games this spring since it is an extension of the 2020 season. If they do it could use up a year of eligibility. But they should be able to play in exhibition games so maybe G will have more of those.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.