Club of the Decade (2010 - 2020)

4,255 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
La Bamba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the COVID-19 quarantine happening, we need to look for ways to keep busy and continue some sort of social interaction. What better way to do this than getting into internet arguments. Therefore, make your case for the club of the decade beginning with the season starting in 2010 until the end of last season. Given the halt of the 2019-2020 season, you are not allowed to use hypothetical results to back your argument - but feel free to use it anyway if it strengthens your case, (looking at you Liverpool fans). Ignore early season super cups (those aren't real things).

My pick: Real Madrid

Reasoning:
4 Champions League Titles (14, 16, 17, 18)
2 La Liga Titles (12, 17)
2 Copa Del Rey Titles (11, 14)

What say you?
Bubba smollett
Hard to argue that.

Oh and Ronaldo >Messi
jeffk
AG
Yep, you got it. Way to kill your own discussion with a single post.
La Bamba
AG
jeffk said:

Yep, you got it. Way to kill your own discussion with a single post.

As hard as it is to believe, LaQuica is not a sock of La Bamba's. La Bamba owns no socks, 100% barefoot poster. Now, what is your selection, Mr Jeff?
jeffk
AG
Real is the right answer and I doubt many would debate it.
La Bamba
AG
Well, let's not be so boring. I'm changing my pick: Barcelona

2 Champions League Titles (11, 15)
6 La Liga Titles (11, 13, 15, 16, 18, 19)
5 Copa Del Rey Titles (12, 15, 16, 17, 18)

13 titles this decade to Real's 8. Advantage Barca.
Bubba smollett
CL titles trump everything IMHO harder to win
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Bayern Munich not #1 but on the podium, I think:

1 Champions League
9 Bundesliga titles
5 DFB-Pokal titles

(Not that it matters but) 1 FIFA Club World Cup
La Bamba
AG
blindey said:

Bayern Munich not #1 but on the podium, I think:

1 Champions League
9 Bundesliga titles
5 DFB-Pokal titles

(Not that it matters but) 1 FIFA Club World Cup

9 league titles is nuts. I know the German league isn't as deep as the EPL or other leagues, but still.
TXAggie2011
AG
Isn't it only 8 Bundesliga titles? Anyhow...

Bayern also has two Champions League runner ups and 4 semifinals to go along with their Championship.

Certainly seems to me like an obvious third behind Barcelona and Real Madrid.
deadbq03
AG
If you base it solely on UEFA Club Coefficient for the whole decade (starting 2010-2011, ending this season which is ongoing... hopefully), then the answers given here on this thread so far are are the Top 3 by a fairly wide margin. If Barca or Bayern were to win it all this year, then it'd be pretty tight for #1, but I think Madrid still has enough of a gap at this point to claim #1 for the decade.

Here's the Top 10 for the whole decade:

#1 Read Madrid 286 pts
#2 Barcelona 269 pts
#3 Bayern Munich 262 pts
#4 Athletico Madrid 227 pts
#5 Chelsea 209 pts
#6 Juventus 196 pts
#7 PSG 195 pts
#8 Arsenal 185 pts
#9 Man City 183 pts
#10 Man U 179 pts
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

#8 Arsenal 185 pts
#9 Man City 183 pts
#10 Man U 179 pts
Suck it, Manchester.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
9 because I'm counting the 2009-10 title.

Still, that much league dominance with real UEFA results at least gets them in the conversation.
joemeister
AG
How in the world is Arsenal ranked #8?
ptothemo
AG
joemeister said:

When Wenger joined FIFA, he had them redo the calculation of the coefficient to make a fourth place finish the same value as a championship.
TXAggie2011
AG
joemeister said:

Consistency. Its not our fault Liverpool sucked for most of the past decade.
Onceaggie2.0
PSG number 7 yeah no?
jeffk
AG
It may not be your fault, but you can't stop me from blaming you.
rebag00
AG
ptothemo said:

joemeister said:

When Wenger joined FIFA, he had them redo the calculation of the coefficient to make a fourth place finish the same value as a championship.
I LOL'd at this - Thanks!
Serotonin
AG
Madrid's CL numbers are impressive, but hard to rate someone club of the decade when they've only won their own league twice in that decade.

They've had a higher ceiling in CL than Barca over the course of a decade but Barca has been more consistent through the entire league season. I guess it's qualitative who you rank as better. I can see both arguments.
deadbq03
AG
Gator03 said:

Madrid's CL numbers are impressive, but hard to rate someone club of the decade when they've only won their own league twice in that decade.

They've had a higher ceiling in CL than Barca over the course of a decade but Barca has been more consistent through the entire league season. I guess it's qualitative who you rank as better. I can see both arguments.
I think it's pretty dang close between those two and Bayern.

This ought to have no bearing on anything, but I feel like RM lost prestige when CR left. And I'm no fanboy of his, in fact, quite the contrary, but I respect him and enjoy watching him and felt like he embodied the success that club had.

I realize dude is getting old. But it'd be one thing if his form had fallen off so bad he had to go to MLS or China or something... dude's in Juve and doing well.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This is why you have to throw Bayern in the mix. Absolutely dominant domestically and producing results (though not as many) in Europe.

Honestly, I think it's pretty easy to pick the top 3 but it's hard to rank them. I think most would go with RM/Barca/Bayern or Barca/RM/Bayern but I at least argue that any ordering could be defended.
Serotonin
AG
I agree with y'all, Bayern is right there with those two.
La Bamba
AG
You know it's somewhat surprising at first to see Atletico come in at number 4 on that list, the best of tier 2 if you will. But when you think about it, they were pretty consistent in major competitions, although they don't have many titles to show for it. Also, it's extremely surprising to see the English clubs ranked so low collectively.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Everton supporter and I hate to say it but I think Liverpool might be the early front runner for team of the 20s (provides we aren't all already dead).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.