The GOAT

2,591 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dre_00
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ed Torian
Did Crynaldo even place top 3?
Prayer_Ag
Ed Torian said:

I prayed for Crytiano Fagaldo to win
aTmAg
AG
Ed Torian said:

No, but he did have a great defensive play this weekend.

(Actually I think he got 3rd)
jeffk
AG
VVD got robbed.
AG@RICE
AG
What is that little Argentinian boy doing with Virgil's trophy?

aTmAg
AG
Virgil's coach seems to think Messi is #1. Maybe there is something to it?
AG@RICE
AG
aTmAg said:

Virgil's coach seems to think Messi is #1. Maybe there is something to it?

Quote from Klopp:

Quote:

"Messi would be for me, as a player I saw, the number one. Cristiano Ronaldo is for sure in that as well and all the rest we have to see." Klopp said [ahead of the 1st leg of the Barcelona UCL matchup].

"I have coached a few really good players, but they didn't finish their careers so we have to they still have time to develop."

Messi might have the best career of all time, but VVD was the better player last year...and this year....and probably next year...
aTmAg
AG
Clearly not in the opinion of the majority of people.

In fact, the fact that it didn't go to the best player on the CL winner breaks a recent trend. That's how good of a year Messi had.

(Though I think it's pretty damn hard to compare a defender to a forward)
Aggie991
Still no World Cup, copa America , and when was barcas last cl? Poor hobbit boy
jeffk
AG
It's voted on by journalists, correct?

And it's just nuts that, other than last year, you have to go back to 2007 to find a year where the award didn't go to Ronaldo or Messi. Similarly, you have to go to 2008 to find a winner not on Real or Barca (and that was Ronaldo at ManU).
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

It's voted on by journalists, correct?

And it's just nuts that, other than last year, you have to go back to 2007 to find a year where the award didn't go to Ronaldo or Messi. Similarly, you have to go to 2008 to find a winner not on Real or Barca (and that was Ronaldo at ManU).
used to be just journalists. now it's journalists, managers, and players.

jeffk
AG
I think you're thinking of the FIFA award. This one is still only journalists from what I can see.

Speaking of, Messi only won by 7 total votes. Pretty interesting read here - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world/ballon-dor-2019-result-award-virgil-van-dijk-sadio-mane-lionel-messi-votes-in-full-a9230576.html
Furlock Bones
AG
jeffk said:

I think you're thinking of the FIFA award. This one is still only journalists from what I can see.

Speaking of, Messi only won by 7 total votes. Pretty interesting read here - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world/ballon-dor-2019-result-award-virgil-van-dijk-sadio-mane-lionel-messi-votes-in-full-a9230576.html
says national team coaches and captains also vote.
jeffk
AG
Where do you see it saying that?

"The votes are cast by a prominent journalist or broadcaster from each of the 176 voting nations, with Messi and Van Dijk finishing well clear of third-placed Cristiano Ronaldo. The Juventus forward, who claimed 476 votes, decided against attending the ceremony in Paris so that he could receive the award for the Serie A Forward of the Year back in Italy."

Also, here's the actual voters - https://en.as.com/en/2019/12/03/football/1575361447_228718.html
Bubba smollett
Did Messi play in the Classico today ?
Dre_00
I can't find it now but someone on Twitter linked to some analysis that basically took the best season of more or less every prolific scorer in the last 30 years and compared it to Messi's last 10 seasons. Each of Messi's last 10 seasons was better than said player's best season.

I may be exaggerating/misstating the results a bit but it was something that was completely mind boggling. Of course that's not relevant when comparing Messi and VVD's results from last season but still was absurd.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.