*******BTHO Southern California*******

11,320 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HiddenAg2
Giggem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some of the criticism of this team and the coaches is too harsh, in my view.

Here's an example of why: I think most would agree that Arkansas, as a team, was playing really well for much of the season and definitely earned the top seed in the SEC tourney and made it to the SEC championship game. Arkansas consistently played flowing soccer, creating and burying many scoring chances throughout the season, while also putting up a stingy defense. The Hogs got a 3 seed in the NCAA tourney but won only their first round game. They were 17-3-2 going into the second round game but lost to a 12-6-4 NC State team that got the better of them that day. It happens, especially in soccer, where one or two mistakes can cost you a game. Nothing about that result should indicate any reason for degradation of faith in the Hogs' successful approach to building a winning team.

What happened Friday to the Aggies is similar to that stunning Arkansas loss, but less stunning, since the Ags game in unseeded and USC carried the 2 seed. For the most part, in the win over Texas in the first NCAA round and in the loss to USC in the second NCAA round, this Aggie team was really clicking--connecting passes, playing patiently and intelligently, and creating good (some great) scoring opportunities. In my view, other than with respect to two critical defensive lapses, the team as a whole played its best two games in those two NCAA matches. Perhaps watching live versus on a screen gave me a different impression than others. In any event, the Aggie team I saw was matching up step-for-step with USC in terms of talent, speed, and smart soccer, but for those two critical lapses. And that'll cost you a game. It certainly provides little rationale for tearing down the whole coaching approach and starting over.
mullokmotx
AG
Listening to Gary Blair's radio show and he referred to the intramural field that he saw us play on Friday.
Giggem
AG
yes, it's stunning how poor the USC facility is. Yet they continue to produce elite teams. It's one reason I scoff at the notion that we absolutely must spend tens of millions to improve Ellis in order to compete with elite programs.
Rudyjax
AG
Giggem said:

yes, it's stunning how poor the USC facility is. Yet they continue to produce elite teams. It's one reason I scoff at the notion that we absolutely must spend tens of millions to improve Ellis in order to compete with elite programs.

College Station= Southern California.

They're exactly the same
Giggem
AG

Giggem said:

College Station= Southern California.

They're exactly the same
https://gph.is/257kd8K

[img]<div class=[/img]Frozen Elsa GIF from Frozen GIFs" />
Expert Analysis
AG
Giggem said:

For the most part, in the win over Texas in the first NCAA round and in the loss to USC in the second NCAA round, this Aggie team was really clicking--connecting passes, playing patiently and intelligently, and creating good (some great) scoring opportunities. In my view, other than with respect to two critical defensive lapses, the team as a whole played its best two games in those two NCAA matches. Perhaps watching live versus on a screen gave me a different impression than others. In any event, the Aggie team I saw was matching up step-for-step with USC in terms of talent, speed, and smart soccer, but for those two critical lapses. And that'll cost you a game.
I fully agree with this. We were probably the second best team in that group of 4 at USC, but got shafted by the seeding partially due to the quality of our play early in the year. My issue is where was this quality of play the rest of the season? I'm ok if we generate chances and just cannot find the net, but we played too many games this year where we were not capable of moving the ball up the field with any sense of control. We were playing much better at the end of the season than at the start which is promising, but we should have played like this from the start with as many returning plays as we had.
FalconRT90

We should have been able to do this all year agaisnt quality sides.
redd38
AG
FalconRT90 said:

It's almost like we had to... build up to that... over the season.
Giggem
AG
redd38 said:

FalconRT90 said:

It's almost like we had to... build up to that... over the season.
indeed.
HiddenAg2
Expert Analysis said:

Giggem said:

For the most part, in the win over Texas in the first NCAA round and in the loss to USC in the second NCAA round, this Aggie team was really clicking--connecting passes, playing patiently and intelligently, and creating good (some great) scoring opportunities. In my view, other than with respect to two critical defensive lapses, the team as a whole played its best two games in those two NCAA matches. Perhaps watching live versus on a screen gave me a different impression than others. In any event, the Aggie team I saw was matching up step-for-step with USC in terms of talent, speed, and smart soccer, but for those two critical lapses. And that'll cost you a game.
I fully agree with this. We were probably the second best team in that group of 4 at USC, but got shafted by the seeding partially due to the quality of our play early in the year. My issue is where was this quality of play the rest of the season? I'm ok if we generate chances and just cannot find the net, but we played too many games this year where we were not capable of moving the ball up the field with any sense of control. We were playing much better at the end of the season than at the start which is promising, but we should have played like this from the start with as many returning plays as we had.
Yeah, I would agree we played well in the last two games of the season. Everything was coming together except on the backline and at GK, which are critical positions obviously. The midfield and forwards were finally clicking and creating a lot of possession and scoring opportunities. The question is why it took an entire season to get it going? That's something the coaching staff does need to evaluate as far as Fall camp and how we approach early season play. We need to come out of the gates playing better as a unit so we don't get in a hole seeding-wise and have to play these type of matches on the road in the tournament. But, in the end, the bottom line is we are struggling to get past the 2nd round consistently and that makes it hard to get to the College Cup.

A&M does recruit well, but it's just not enough elite talent, especially the key difference makers, that separate the top programs for everyone else. I've been saying for several years now that we need to sign at least 1-2 elite prospects (consensus 5-star) every year in order to build up enough talent over a 4-year stretch to compete at the highest level. What would have been the outcome this season if A&M had 5-6 elite players on the field after recruiting this way? The problem is that, as mentioned above, the book is out on the program and Coach G, and that is very hard to overcome when selling a national title to elite prospects. It's pretty obvious now that the elite kids in Texas are not buying what we're selling and they are headed out of state to UNC, Virginia, Duke, Stanford, and UCLA. It's also difficult to overcome the academic side that those schools offer as well. I don't know how we turn that around except for making a deep run to the College Cup a few more times when not expected. It's a tough situation going forward for sure, but we have to start landing these kids to get to the next level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.