***** Official Gold Cup Final 2019 USMNT vs. Mexico Match Thread *****

44,100 Views | 652 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
HowdyTexasAggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MarylandAG
Not even Mexico's A team and we can't figure out how to get the ball out of our own half! No Vela, Chicharito, Lozano, a hamstrung Ochoa and we don't show up. I hope to never see Bradley start another game, ridiculous bad he is!!!
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

We need a new #6 for Bradley, a striker to step up and take the spot from Jozy, a RB that's better than Ream, and a winger to take Morris' spot (probably Boyd). Really unsure why Boyd hasn't seen the field in the last 2 games.

Berhalter has left me with way more questions than answers regarding him but we're stuck with him for awhile. I will say that we looked good for a lot of this game but he failed to make adjustments after Mexico made theirs. That's 100% on him.
All of those players exist already. Some were hurt, some weren't available....one was choosing Zardes over Sargent for some inexplicable reason.
JJxvi
AG
Boyd is mediocre. He's just the shiny new object that got to play against minnows (ie the next big thing! According to our fans)
PatAg
AG
MarylandAG said:

Not even Mexico's A team and we can't figure out how to get the ball out of our own half! No Vela, Chicharito, Lozano, a hamstrung Ochoa and we don't show up. I hope to never see Bradley start another game, ridiculous bad he is!!!
maybe you missed the first half, or maybe you somehow think this is our A team.. I swear man, I'd love for more people to show up, but it seems like out of every 10 new members we get, 9 of them are just idiots.
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Boyd is mediocre. He's just the shiny new object that got to play against minnows (ie the next big thing! According to our fans)
He is comfortable on the ball, and a danger near the box. You also don't know what he would do in a game like this, because we didnt play him. Instead we played Morris, who did NOTHING.
Juan Solo
AG
Memo with a limp, not sure if because of an injury or cojones
OregonAggie
AG
JJxvi said:

You may be right. He's a much better attacking option than Morris or Roldan, although I think played well tonight with his limited minutes.
Hickory High
AG
So glad we have yet another coach that is just going to favor MLS players over our international guys.

I mean our sub selection tonight was a *********joke.
JJxvi
AG
Boyd is the next Aron Johansson
carl spacklers hat
Mexico has to feel like they dodged a bullet. They played better in the second half but the blown chances by the US kept them in it until they could adjust and find their chances (Tata out-coached GB, no doubt). Ref's assistance in the last 3 minutes didn't hurt.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
This team is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than past teams, no doubt about it. At lease we don't have that boring ass teams of the past, although Bradley seems to try to bring it back. That guy seems to always be turned bacwarda
PatAg
AG
Overall, a pretty good tournament. Lots of promising things to take from it, really hope we get new blood in for friendlies in the fall/winter.
I don't think he sucks to the extent a lot are saying on here, as he was being asked to cover for other bad players like Ream and he just cant do that, but it will be nice to not have to start Bradley anymore.
fig96
AG
JJxvi said:

We don't have a big enough sample size to really know yet, but he's at least something different and we needed something different. Zardes came in and had zero impact on the game.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
fig96 said:

OlSarge92 said:

Neither did your statement
My other posts generally do, unlike your trolling.

No, they don't at all, quit whining like a baby
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Boyd is the next Aron Johansson
Could be, I expect more of our actual youth to step into this role, namely Weah
JJxvi
AG
fig96 said:

JJxvi said:

We don't have a big enough sample size to really know yet, but he's at least something different and we needed something different. Zardes came in and had zero impact on the game.

Zardes coming in was inevitable just because Jozy was never going 90. That sub was like pencilled on the sheet before minute 1
snowdog90
Mexico. Ugh. They are so good but they ruin it by being completely classless and dirty. I really hate them and I shouldn't because it's a waste of energy.

Hopefully all the dirty cops and drug cartels will rape and murder less people tonight because of their victory in pretty much the only thing they're good at.

**** that idiot ref, too. Typical concacaf joke of a referee.
Rudyjax
AG
Didn't read this whole thread but we were as good as them for most of the game.

The subs Berholter me.

Overall, this tournament exceeded expectationss.
fig96
AG
JJxvi said:

fig96 said:

JJxvi said:

Zardes coming in was inevitable just because Jozy was never going 90. That sub was like pencilled on the sheet before minute 1
Fair and probably true, we've just got to consider other options.

Zardes is a known quantity who can do damage against the Guyana's and T&T's but rarely has an impact on bigger games.
Hickory High
AG
What the **** was that third sub??? Who the hell is that guy?? Why sub a left back when we're DOWN???
fig96
AG
Serious tale of two halves.

First half we had quality possession, several good chances, and overall looked like the more dangerous side. Second half we were totally outclassed and made some pretty questionable subs.
Third Son
AG
This is a bad loss. We were unable to adapt to Mexico's adjustments in the 2nd half. We were dangerous in the final third, but couldn't finish. Certain players showed their age and need to retire from the USMNT. Disappointing overall. This wasn't a great Mexican side.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

We actually had the better chances, imo. Just not clinical enough, and Mexico eventually made us pay for it.

I agree. Unfortunately they really turned it on for the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half. Difference in the game IMO.
bagger05
AG
Loved the fire and intensity in the first half. I like Pulisic more and more every time I see him play. Got a good group of guys to build from but really disheartening to see us unable to do move the ball forward in the second half.
PatAg
AG
Third Son said:

This is a bad loss. We were unable to adapt to Mexico's adjustments in the 2nd half. We were dangerous in the final third, but couldn't finish. Certain players showed their age and need to retire from the USMNT. Disappointing overall. This wasn't a great Mexican side.
retire or go to the bench
who?mikejones
AG
CoolAggie said:

Hate Mexico soccer all you want but keep the political trash comments out of this board. USA should have converted our chances in the first half. I honestly don't think we are a World Cup qualifying team at this point and our skipper was completely outclassed in the second half. This loss hurts more than a 5-0 outcome.

2 things:
1. Concacaf seems to be down across the board. We are no worse than the 3rd best at the moment.

2. Politics has invaded sports. Politics has invaded everything. Get used to it.
DuncanField91
AG
We need to stop winning the fair play award.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Cannon, Nipples, and Pulisic at least give me a little hope
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

We actually had the better chances, imo. Just not clinical enough, and Mexico eventually made us pay for it.
That's true, but it is frightening how much they completely dominated the first 30 minutes of the second half.
mrmill3218
AG
Hickory High said:

So glad we have yet another coach that is just going to favor MLS players over our international guys.

I mean our sub selection tonight was a *********joke.

Been saying this for years. It's the MLS agenda and it's maddening.
PatAg
AG
DuncanField91 said:

We need to stop winning the fair play award.
Hey! McKennie is doing his best to prevent it
who?mikejones
AG
Ryno01 said:

Cannon, Nipples, and Pulisic at least give me a little hope

Also like long
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

PatAg said:

That's true, but it is frightening how much they completely dominated the first 30 minutes of the second half.
Yep, you give the team about 10-15 minutes to figure it out. It was clear around 55-60 minutes in Ream was unable to do anything, and Bradley was unable to cover. We dont really have someone to bring in for Bradley on this Gold Cup roster, so that Lovitz move needed to happen much earlier.
DeangeloVickers
AG
What's funny is doesn't this game HURT the MLS?!?!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.