Austin FC Official

3,248 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ferg
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
gig them
AG
Someone help me out here. Are they leveraging their prior sub-MLS culture? Is there a sub-MLS culture? Or is this a corporate, sanitized attempt at creating a culture from scratch.

If it's the former, I get it. If it's the latter....... woof.
Furlock Bones
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I think it's the latter but there are enough....Austin people....that will buy into it anyways and probably take it too far. Maybe they'll start a proper hooligan firm (the North Austin Neckbeards) and try to pick fights with/beg to be noticed by Portland supporters.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm all about it. If I'm still here when it comes to town, will be nice to have a local sports team to root for and go to games.
AggieRob93
AG
I can't see Austin folks turning out for games once the shine of a new sport in town wears off, which will be pretty quick. Should have been San Antonio.
LarryElder
Awful logo but its a cool road trip to watch Houston.
fig96
AG
blindey said:

I think it's the latter but there are enough....Austin people....that will buy into it anyways and probably take it too far. Maybe they'll start a proper hooligan firm (the North Austin Neckbeards) and try to pick fights with/beg to be noticed by Portland supporters.
Anthem is a fan created supporters group.

And no, there's not a ton of soccer culture here currently but there wasn't much in Dallas or Houston either (some would argue there's still not). Active fitness community and tons of folks that play and watch though, I think it'll be better supported than people think.

Contrary to popular belief, there's a whole lot of folks here that aren't sip fans and would love a team to support.
Furlock Bones
AG
fig96 said:

blindey said:

Anthem is a fan created supporters group.

And no, there's not a ton of soccer culture here currently but there wasn't much in Dallas or Houston either (some would argue there's still not). Active fitness community and tons of folks that play and watch though, I think it'll be better supported than people think.

Contrary to popular belief, there's a whole lot of folks here that aren't sip fans and would love a team to support.
i actually thinks it is going to do very well here. definitely better than the Dynamo.
Mike Elko
AG
Considering it'll be the only professional team in town (minor league sports don't count), I think it's bound for success. All haters be damned.
Mathguy64
AG
You can sing "Austin FC, Austin FC", clap clap clap clap "Vamos El Tree!"" all you want. All anyone will hear is "Vamos El Tri".

These dumbasses just won the award for being the biggest idiots in the soccer world. And that trophy routinely has an all star list of nominees.. I mean its Jan 15 and they have the award locked up.
fig96
AG
mathguy86 said:

You can sing "Austin FC, Austin FC", clap clap clap clap "Vamos El Tree!"" all you want. All anyone will hear is "Vamos El Tri".

These dumbasses just won the award for being the biggest idiots in the soccer world. And that trophy routinely has an all star list of nominees.. I mean its Jan 15 and they have the award locked up.
You sound like someone who probably posts on the politics board a lot.
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

mathguy86 said:

What? He's saying it will sound like something the Mexican national team already does, how is that politics related
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

mathguy86 said:

What? He's saying it will sound like something the Mexican national team already does, how is that politics related
Exactly.
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

mathguy86 said:

Not meaning it politically, meaning it as far as the general attitude of that board. Whatever you think or do is wrong and I can't wait to tell you how stupid it or you are.

People are excited, and whatever random chant was done on literally day 1 isn't going to be THE chant. Let be people be excited and give the cynicism a rest.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wow someone got his hooligan feelings hurt

Good lord austin people suck
fig96
AG
Not at all, I have zero affiliation to anything (Dynamo fan here).

I just hate how people seem to take joy in hating on things, particularly in here where we tend to avoid that and with the sort of hyperbole with which that was done.
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

I just hate how people seem to take joy in hating on things, particularly in here where we tend to avoid that and with the sort of hyperbole with which that was done.
You're projecting
PatAg
AG
It's a starting point, and like anything, they will develop culture overtime. Some group of guys will get WAY to into it, and more and more people will start to join them as they are clearly having a ton of fun during the game.

I think the logo looks cool and unique, and I like that the colors aren't just boring red/blue/white.
Aggie1199
The logo looks like something done in paint .
fig96
AG
Didn't feel that I did, but whatever.
Furlock Bones
AG
time to repost my awful ms paint Austin FC jersey.

Ferg
Exciting, but lets not forget Austin Bold FC starts playing this March.

Their home stadium holds 5000 and is at COTA. USL Championship level team(think AAA Baseball).

I hope both are successful.
jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

You're projecting

No, you're projecting that he's projecting.
Jason_Ag98
AG
It's hard for me to imagine the Bold being very successful in the long term. I'm not very interested in driving all the way out to COTA to watch second-tier soccer if I can watch MLS in a better stadium in a central location.
Ferg
Probably a difference in ticket prices, so might be more fans that can't quite afford the MLS tickets. They have single game tickets for as low as $10 behind the goals. I get your point though, its possible they don't make it long term, but they have a 2 year head start on Austin FC to build a fan base, even if its not the same fan base. There are 3 other teams in Texas (Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, El Paso) plus 2 in Oklahoma so the potential is there for rivalries to generate interest. Also, the games(not sure if home but away) are all televised on ESPN+ so USL is certainly building their brand. I guess time will tell.
Mike Elko
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Wow someone got his hooligan feelings hurt

Good lord austin people suck

Says the guy who's known as the biggest turd on each board he posts.
monarch
S
Dynamo did well attendance wise in the beginning but for a variety of reasons- W/L record, crowd demographics- have tailed off.

Winning cures everything however...
Peace for Ukraine!
PatAg
AG
monarch said:

Dynamo did well attendance wise in the beginning but for a variety of reasons- W/L record, crowd demographics- have tailed off.

Winning cures everything however...

Yep, win and the people will attend
Pahdz
Well they built an oven for a stadium, zero breeze through that place
JJxvi
AG
Vamos El Tree? Jesus.
who?mikejones
AG
Any idea of season ticket costs?
PatAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Vamos El Tree? Jesus.
I really hope they are smart enough to not use that one.
monarch
S
Any relation to that pine tree mascot at The Leland Stanford Jr University on the left coast?
Peace for Ukraine!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.