Coach G Interview on Season Review and Next Year

4,912 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Giggem
AggieZman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You obviously don't know too much about the coaches that are on staff. Phil, the Asst. Head Coach and tactical coach of the team is highly respected in every corner of soccer, from other schools to the National Staff. Coach Phil has been offered plenty of HC jobs, but fortunately A&M is in position to keep him on staff. We are very lucky to have the combination of him and his wife Lori, who does a great job with the young ladies. She is the team Mom and she gives the players a female to talk to if they need that. We are in great hands, have one of the best staffs in the Country and one of the top programs in the land over the last 20 years.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Diego said:

oldfart79 said:

its been moving forward for 25 yrs what does he need 50 yrs to get a title
Tom Osborne was the head football coach at Nebraska for 21 years before he won his first national championship, and then ended up winning three of them. Many Nebraska fans wanted him gone after 20 years because he "hadn't won it all".

Osborne won 10 Big 8 titles, had another 8 second place finishes, had 11 or 12 wins 3 times, and 10 wins (different seasons) another 7 times. He finished in the AP or coaches top 5 - 5 times. All during the time you speak of. Their average final rank was in the high single digits. Osborne's record is NOT the equivalent of mostly second or third round NCAA losses with a few quarterfinals and one semifinal during roughly the same time period, as our average final rank is (roughly) in the high teens.

I'm not taking a position here, but this is a bad example.
Giggem
AG
mullokmotx said:

The NCAA Tournament expanded to 64 teams in 2001. In those 18 years we have advanced to the second round 18 times, Sweet 16 12 times, Elite 8 6 times and the College Cup 1 time. So every third year we make it to the equivalent of the College World Series in baseball or softball. Is that consistent enough? Seems so to me.
Speaking of toughness, I remember the baylor game in 2013 when Ashlynn Harryman became one of my favorite players when she gave a baylor player a bloody nose during the game after Annie Kunz had gotten knocked into the wall in the first 10 seconds.
I am concerned that it seems that baylor may have passed us. They took advantage of playing at home this year which is something that we did not do last year.
It is encouraging that a high profile player like Taylor Ziemer has decided to transfer here from a program of Virginia's caliber.

I ran across this a few days ago and it really resonates with me. You raise a good point, Kevin. The name we give to a certain format of the tournament matters in how we perceive success. If the baseball team or softball team made the CWS every third year, that would be saluted as a tremendous accomplishment and the program would be labeled as "elite." But in soccer, the "Elite 8" doesn't have near the cachet of the College Cup or "Final Four." So we say the program has "only" been to one Final Four. But it's been to six Elite 8s. That's really, really good.

G's, Phil's, and Lori's teams have made the equivalent of the CWS every third year since the field expanded to 64 teams. That's elite.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.