****USWNT Road to World Cup 2019****

1,528 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffk
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First match of the CONCACAF Women's Championship is tomorrow, Thursday Oct. 4 at 6:30pm Central. We are playing Mexico, who we smashed 6-2 in Houston last April.

Other group games for the USWNT:

Oct 7 - 4pm Central v Panama

Oct 10 - 6:30pm v T&T
CjAg
AG
In NC with my 9 year old daughter for the game. (humble brag). Looking forward to smart ass looks from the entire team when Pugh takes a bad **** early and then goes off for a hat trick.
stillmerk
AG
Scored on 5 of 7 shots on goal so far.
Hand Of God
AG
I thought tonight's match against Mexico would be more competitive, but they never even threatened.
Bryan98
AG
Another excellent clean sheet game today!
'03ag
Taking the wife to Frisco on Sunday. Team seems to be rounding into form. Should be fun.
Hand Of God
AG
Mexico was upset by Panama 2-0 and has been eliminated from World Cup contention. That's a shocking result.
carl spacklers hat
That's fantastic!! Mexican National teams can EAD as far as I care. I think its funny that CONCACAF held a host sight 20 miles from the Mexican border in Edinburg and shipped Mexico to North Carolina (I know, I know, blind drawings, yadda yadda yadda). Cheers to Panama, though.
Hand Of God
AG
The crowds in South Texas were abysmal.
Bryan98
AG
JEEZ LOUIZE the USWNT just kept a clean sheet through the entire group stage!
Pahdz
That game could have very easily been 14-0

Damn near 90% of it was played in the US attacking third...hell attacking quarter
akm91
AG
Pahdz said:

That game could have very easily been 14-0

Damn near 90% of it was played in the US attacking third...hell attacking quarter
US had 59 shots in the game so the team was not very efficient.
wangus12
AG
This is just too easy
exitone
AG
That pass was terrific
Hand Of God
AG
The USWNT topped Canada 2-0 in the final on a goal in the opening minutes and another in the closing minutes of the match. Canada hasn't beaten the U.S. in 30+ consecutive matches.
akm91
AG
US outscored opponents 26-0 in winning the tournament.
jeffk
AG
They seem legit.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

They seem legit.
The USWNT could field at least two full teams that both would be ranked in the top 10 in the world, maybe even top 5 for both teams.
'03ag
Sure seems that way, but I really just started watching them during the last World Cup semi final. Since then we've gone to see them whenever they come to Frisco. I dont know soccer well enough to know why they're so good. I just know whenever they're playing someone like Jamaica it looks like they have 2 extra players on the field at all times.
akm91
AG
'03ag said:

Sure seems that way, but I really just started watching them during the last World Cup semi final. Since then we've gone to see them whenever they come to Frisco. I dont know soccer well enough to know why they're so good. I just know whenever they're playing someone like Jamaica it looks like they have 2 extra players on the field at all times.
We're so far ahead of other countries in women's soccer because we've had organized womens soccer for decades in form of college soccer. Don't recall if we also had the first womens professional soccer league as well.
jeffk
AG
I've long thought it's interesting how our collegiate soccer programs have had such a positive influence on our women's international program but also been seen as an obstacle for the growth of our men's international program.
Mathguy64
AG
It it because of women's college soccer as a whole or because of the program at UNC? You can make a case that much of the success stems from (in part? Maybe big part?) Dorrance and the UNC program.
littlebitofhifi
AG
College is a part of it but our federation has an expansive youth development program. The youth club, ODP, and academy programs for girls (especially after the '99 World Cup) have been funded at higher levels than any other country except maybe Germany.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

I've long thought it's interesting how our collegiate soccer programs have had such a positive influence on our women's international program but also been seen as an obstacle for the growth of our men's international program.
For mens team we were competing against countries that had professional soccer for over 100 years with amateur college kids.

We're so much further ahead for our womens team compared to other countries, as littlebitofhifi noted.
Hand Of God
AG
The USWNT is playing at a really high level right now. Let's hope they can avoid any major injuries leading up to next summer. Morgan, Heath, and Rapinoe are really fun to watch up top. High pressing and fast paced. Horan, Ertz, and Lavelle also compliment one another very nicely in the middle of the field.
jeffk
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

College is a part of it but our federation has an expansive youth development program. The youth club, ODP, and academy programs for girls (especially after the '99 World Cup) have been funded at higher levels than any other country except maybe Germany.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg argument, but our women's youth programs took off partially because of the increased demand/market for college players. Colleges created/funded programs with scholarships due to Title IX and that fueled the increased professionalism of the developmental leagues. The US basically did for women's soccer here what European nations had done for their men's programs over the centuries. Monetize/incentivize the upper levels and let that demand drive recruitment and development.
jeffk
AG
mathguy86 said:

It it because of women's college soccer as a whole or because of the program at UNC? You can make a case that much of the success stems from (in part? Maybe big part?) Dorrance and the UNC program.

It's a good point. UNC was definitely the pace-setter. It's been interesting to see others try to replicate what they created there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.