*****Official Match Thread Friendly Vs. Portugal*****

2,328 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tysker
moneyag7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Villafana comes on for Lichaj
Gooch comes on for Aguedelo
boogieman
AG
The Gooch appears!
boogieman
AG
Um....that could of been dangerous play by either CCV or the keeper?
moneyag7
yeah it was umm interesting to say the least. Good no call since both did the same thing. Would have been an easy call if one of them went head down
moneyag7
Dwyer on for Sapong
jeffk
AG
This backline looks 20x better than any we fielded in the Hex.
moneyag7
Last sub goes to Bedoya for Weston
jeffk
AG
Kampfers said:

It's not an acceptable result by any means, but I've lost a lot more respect for the fans of US Soccer (not that a whole ton existed for anonymous internet strangers to begin with) than I have for the players.

That's hurtful, man.
moneyag7
Final time 1-1

Overall a great game with multiple chances for both teams to open the scoring up more. Their one goal came on a Horvath error. Team looked good with high energy and effort. Excited for the future of this team and the federation as a whole.

See y'all on January 28th for our first 2018 game against Boznia and Herzegovina.
OregonAggie
AG
There's definitely a future for the USMNT. Brooks looked great today and McKennie is definitely going to get plenty of call ups moving forward. Loved to see our players on the front foot and taking the game to a young but talented Portuguese squad.

If only Horvath wouldn't have had such a colossal mistake.
AgGrad99
AG
My son (a keeper), let in a meaningless goal like that a few weeks ago. He's constantly trained to drop his knee to prevent that from happening, but one time he didnt, and the ball squirted through.

I'm going to have to show him the highlights from this game, and that even the best of the best have to use proper technique...
moneyag7
You should also make him watch the Robert Green video from 2010 World Cup
titanmaster_race
It's going to take me a while to be excited about us soccer again.
wangus12
AG
Or just about any Robert Green video
PatAg
AG
Kampfers said:

moneyag7 said:

Lalas just said it's unfair to compare the energy levels of this team and the WCQ team... what?

The WCQ team needed a tie at Trinidad.
This team is playing for the possibility of a spot on the World Cup team that is 5 years away...

That may have been the dumbest thing I've heard Lalas say and I don't like him at all.
I don't think that's a dumb statement at all...

Of course playing a bunch of young guns looking to break out will result in a high energy level, particularly against a team that is also breaking in a lot of new players and thus doesn't necessarily hold good defensive shape

Meanwhile, in the WCQ, we rolled out the exact same starting XI that had just gone 90 minutes in midweek in Florida's heat and humidity. We played a team that was determined to drop deep, deny us space, and force us to break them down, rather than one that was willing to go out and engage like Portugal (which affords us more space). We also played one of the few teams that can match us with regards to athleticism (and proceeded to play one of our slowest possible backline pairings). And every team in CONCACAF is going to play a little harder when they match up against the US or Mexico. Add that all up and it's not a wonder the "energy level" looks higher tonight. When you can actually have a midfield battle, rather than simply pass the ball around 10-12 people who are packed in around the box, it's rather easy to look "active".

Several weeks later, I still fail to see this narrative that a bunch of keyboard warriors keep pressing about how our players "didn't care" or "didn't try". What a bunch of bull**** from people who think we are entitled to the World Cup. We aren't even close to the best team staying home. It's not an acceptable result by any means, but I've lost a lot more respect for the fans of US Soccer (not that a whole ton existed for anonymous internet strangers to begin with) than I have for the players.

I just feel like there were a LOT of people who were not really fans, but felt forced to follow it. And a lot of people who were just waiting for something to go wrong so they could go on and on about how bad we are.
Anyone saying they didnt care or didnt try, is a damned moron. You don't get to where these players are by not caring.
However the narrative that they weren't challenged enough by a missing generation of players..that's very true.
PatAg
AG
That being said, I saw a lot to like in the game tonight. First time seeing McKinnie play outside of youth play, looked really sharp. Adams and Acosta also looked really strong, which I already knew about Acosta. Hopefully some Euro team will come calling for him this offseason.
boogieman
AG
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club/united-states/660/video/3270936

Watch these guys rip Bruce Arena showin* up on the Fox pregame.
tysker
AG
boogieman said:

I dont know what 'get stuffed' is in Italian
AgGrad99
AG
moneyag7 said:

You should also make him watch the Robert Green video from 2010 World Cup
The funny thing about that one is that he actually used the proper technique (that Im trying to teach my son)...he just inexplicably fumbled it.

But either way, I like watching that highlight.
jeffk
AG
tysker said:

boogieman said:

I dont know what 'get stuffed' is in Italian

I think it's MANICOTTI!
tysker
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.