***** Official USMNT v Costa Rica GC Semi-Final Match Thread *****

7,568 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aston94
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He knew that was going in the moment he hit it
PatAg
AG
Morris still on the field
Silvertaps
AG
He knew it was in when he kicked it.
MorgansPoint
AG
DEMPSEY. UUUUUUNNNNNHHHHHH
Texags is garbage
I never request to see boners, but when I do; it's when the USMNT scores.
Mathguy64
AG
"If only I was a Danovan"
LeonardSkinner
another angry ag said:

aggie kid, we'll win natties if you go Amish and remove all TVs from your residence. atmhockey only beat Tceh.

For now, I've only beat CRC.
Mathguy64
AG
That was not only not a foul in Morris it was handling by the GK. Ref just bailed him out.
tysker
AG
aggie kid said:

another angry ag said:

aggie kid, we'll win natties if you go Amish and remove all TVs from your residence. atmhockey only beat Tceh.

Fair enough considering CR are kinda like the Tech of Central America
PatAg
AG
Yea Ive never understood the tendency to over protect the goalkeeper in that spot. He's just a field player at that point
Mathguy64
AG
That was weird. He made Howard hand him then ball then blew the whistle.
Hickory High
AG
Clint Man of the Match
PatAg
AG
Nagbe is my man of the match
LeonardSkinner
tysker said:

aggie kid said:

another angry ag said:

Fair enough considering CR are kinda like the Tech of Central America

I thought about going that route, then had to stop and consider El Salvador and their penchant for biting.
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

Nagbe is fantastic, and Klinsmann not making him a mainstay of the squad was ridiculous and infuriating, BUT - you gotta give the top props to the man who made 100% of the goals in this game happen.
Pahdz
PatAg said:

Warning...Stupid and unpopular soccer opinion coming

He's incredibly skilled and all that, I recognize. That said, a lot of what I saw from him tonight looked spectacular then led to a turnover. I don't remember seeing a cross at all. Granted, even though he technically started as a wide player I know that's not really his spot. Just still trying to figure where this guy fits.
Aston94
AG
When we have our full squad I think he fits like he did tonight as a creator on the wing, cutting in centrally and making through passes.
He has a rare talent of taking on defenders, easing pressure and creating opportunities. With Nagbe and Pulisic we finally have some options that can hold the ball under pressure.
I think back to the last WC against Germany and Belgium and how we struggled to hold the ball and possess. Nagbe and Pulisic help so much in that area.
PatAg
AG
Pahdz said:

PatAg said:

He's incredibly skilled and all that, I recognize. That said, a lot of what I saw from him tonight looked spectacular then led to a turnover. I don't remember seeing a cross at all. Granted, even though he technically started as a wide player I know that's not really his spot. Just still trying to figure where this guy fits.
Well, I feel like you cant really identify him as a typical wide player in that regard. Think about how much he got Villafana involved outside, and how many crosses he actually whipped in.

He was instrumental in his ability to receive the ball in ANY situation, turn and beat at least one defender if not two, and provide the link to the front line. Him doing that led to Dempsey's moment of brilliance, for one example. They could not get the ball off his foot all night.
Pahdz
Excellent point about Villifana, didn't look at it that way.
who?mikejones
AG
Gotta love ESPN.

Quote:

A veteran U.S. international, Dempsey is no stranger to scoring big goals. He found the net against Egypt, Spain and Brazil as the U.S. reached the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup final. He also scored the tying goal against England in the Americans' 2010 World Cup opener and netted 30 seconds in against Ghana in the U.S. opener at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Abby Wambach scored 184 goals in 255 caps for the U.S. women's national team, the most by any player -- man or woman -- in FIFA history. Dempsey and Donovan would be tied for 10th on the USWNT all-time scoring list.
wangus12
AG
I read that last night. There is no necessary reason to put that in there
AustinScubaAg
AG
How is Abby even relavant to the discussion.
Smokedraw01
PatAg said:

Pahdz said:

PatAg said:

Well, I feel like you cant really identify him as a typical wide player in that regard. Think about how much he got Villafana involved outside, and how many crosses he actually whipped in.

He was instrumental in his ability to receive the ball in ANY situation, turn and beat at least one defender if not two, and provide the link to the front line. Him doing that led to Dempsey's moment of brilliance, for one example. They could not get the ball off his foot all night.

Agreed. He and Villifana play well together.
Mike Elko
AG
wangus12 said:

I read that last night. There is no necessary reason to put that in there

Other than she being so hot, of course.
Bryan98
AG
I'm not sure if this got mentioned elsewhere, but one El Salvador biter got a six game ban, the other, three.

Some measure of justice, at least.
PatAg
AG
who?mikejones said:

Gotta love ESPN.

Quote:

A veteran U.S. international, Dempsey is no stranger to scoring big goals. He found the net against Egypt, Spain and Brazil as the U.S. reached the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup final. He also scored the tying goal against England in the Americans' 2010 World Cup opener and netted 30 seconds in against Ghana in the U.S. opener at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Abby Wambach scored 184 goals in 255 caps for the U.S. women's national team, the most by any player -- man or woman -- in FIFA history. Dempsey and Donovan would be tied for 10th on the USWNT all-time scoring list.

what in the actual ****.
Mr. White
Donovan and Dempsey would have 500 goals if they played for the WNT.

ESPN can't help themselves.
gig them
AG
Ugh, just stop that article after the first paragraph. There's literally nothing to be gained by adding those last two sentences.
tysker
AG
PatAg said:

Pahdz said:

PatAg said:

Nagbe has great on the ball skills but sometimes it appears as if his decision making is too slow. He always seems to take that extra half-dribble which he can compensate for by being so strong on the ball. Also he's not much of a risk-taker so unless there's a perfect pass to made he moves laterally or backwards (also compensated for by being strong on the ball). A lack of risk-taking isnt a bad thing (especially when you Clint and Pulisic as your creative force) but it can be slow going for your #10 to be guys like Nagbe and Bradley. You can tell he prefers playing from the middle of the field where he can see more of the field
gig them
AG
Well put. He's a strong player, and he should be an automatic inclusion in our WC 23... but I don't know if he's in my first choice XI. Not yet.
akm91
AG
gig them said:

Well put. He's a strong player, and he should be an automatic inclusion in our WC 23... but I don't know if he's in my first choice XI. Not yet.
I think his big value for US is to help maintain possession when playing top tier teams, which we seem to have significant issues. That would be a huge bonus.
tysker
AG
Agreed but one thing Nagbe has going against him is a lack of true outside backs. Can we trust a Nagbe/Yedlin combo on the wings in a 4-4-2? I think he fits is great as any one of the 3 mids in a 3-2-3-2

Somthing like:
Jozy-Wood/Morris
Nagbe-Dempsey-Pulisic
Bradley-Acosta
Villafana-Cameron/Brooks-Yedlin

You could switch anyone of the 3 mids around and not miss a beat. Also Bradley and Acosta relieve much of the defensive duties (when they communicate and the outside backs dont get caught too far up field).

gig them
AG
akm91 said:

gig them said:

I think his big value for US is to help maintain possession when playing top tier teams, which we seem to have significant issues. That would be a huge bonus.

He can maintain possession very effectively, but he's not quite good enough going forward. At least not on the NT level.

He has a role to play, and he should certainly see the field (even in the WC) in the right scenario... but that's the best I can do based on what I've seen.
Bryan98
AG
tysker said:

Agreed but one thing Nagbe has going against him is a lack of true outside backs. Can we trust a Nagbe/Yedlin combo on the wings in a 4-4-2? I think he fits is great as any one of the 3 mids in a 3-2-3-2

Somthing like:
Jozy-Wood/Morris
Nagbe-Dempsey-Pulisic
Bradley-Acosta
Villafana-Cameron/Brooks-Yedlin

You could switch anyone of the 3 mids around and not miss a beat. Also Bradley and Acosta relieve much of the defensive duties (when they communicate and the outside backs dont get caught too far up field).

You ditching FabJo, or just can't find a place for him? I want him on the field, even if it means putting him at LB. Villafana is coming along nicely, though.

Personally, I want four at the back, because I want Cameron and Brooks at CB at all times.

I like Dempsey as a super sub at this point, but he can obviously still play and has the legs to start.

The pundits have been repeating a comment from Arena along the lines of "I don't think Nagbe understands what all he can do". I agree - despite scoring a wondergoal for Portland a couple weeks ago, I think he views himself strictly as a facilitator. He will get the ball to the opponent's box, and he can dribble through traffic to do it, but he always seems to want to play someone else in. That's not all bad, but I think with a change in mentality he could be a real scoring threat.

I'll bet if we look at statistics, Nagbe takes fewer shots for the US than many other players who sit deeper than him.
tysker
AG
Totally forgot about Johnson. I think Bruce will go 442 with Brooks and Cameron in the back but Cameron' and Johnson's versatility adds something I hadnt thought of:

Jozy-Wood/Morris
Nagbe-Pulisic-Johnson
Acosta-Bradley
Villafana-Brooks-Cameron

(Dempsey as supersub)
So they could play it a 442 on defense and 352 on offense. Johnson going to put in a LOT of work though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.