***** Official USMNT v Martinique Match Thread *****

4,929 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jeffk
titanmaster_race
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it's the D team, but come on.
Mathguy64
AG
Guzan was completely flat footed on that DFK.
Bunk Moreland
Don't really follow the umnt outside of major events. Caught this 2nd half by accident.

I did see that arena benched a bunch of guys for this game, this isn't close to our top roster, and Martinique isn't good.

My question is this... Is Arena good? I thought Klinsmann was pretty good and the decision to remove him was shirt sighted. I didn't think he was aggressive enough at times but I don't know enough about the inner workings of soccer or the politics of us national soccer.

Not looking for tons of substance, just if you guys who follow it closer think arena was a step up for the future of us men's soccer from Klinsmann.
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Don't really follow the umnt outside of major events.

I did see that arena benched a bunch of guys for this game and Martinique isn't good.

My question is this... Is Arena good? I thought Klinsmann was pretty good and the decision to remove him was shirt sighted. I didn't think he was aggressive enough at times but I don't know enough about the inner workings of soccer or the politics of us national soccer.

Not looking for tons of substance, just if you guys who follow it closer think arena was a step up for the future of us men's soccer from Klinsmann.
I already answered this earlier in the thread.

and if oyu think klinsmann was good and the decision was short sighted, than I dont know that there is a discussion to be had.
PatAg
AG
I know they are being told to do this, but the AR waiting that long to raise the flag is going to get players hurt.
Mathguy64
AG
JK knows more about the technical side of soccer but Arena is way better tactically.
who?mikejones
AG
There was lots of hope with klinnsman. But he couldnt stop stepping on his own dick. He lost the players.

Arena isn't necessarily a step up but you know exactly what you get and what type of teams he will produce. And those teams do well in concacaf. Based on the urgent need of points fo WC qualification, he was probably the right short term hire.
Bunk Moreland
I didn't read earlier in the thread and also said I'm a major novice. I don't know what else there was to say.

Im not acting like I know what I'm talking about because I don't.

I have just felt since the change, the few times I've watched the team they don't look nearly as disciplined. No clue if that's good or bad. If it frees the team up to get more opportunities, and that nets a benefit from the old style then great. I just don't know.
Bunk Moreland
Gotcha. So this is more of a 3 year stop gap versus a hope of a 10 year until with him?
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

I know they are being told to do this, but the AR waiting that long to raise the flag is going to get players hurt.
There was a minor wording change in the Law last year that is really being seen and felt at higher levels. It's has to do with waiting until the offensive player actually touches the ball. Not all refs at this level are having their ARs adhere to it it the strictest of senses. And in the end the Center Ref is the one who tells his ARs how he wants them to call it.
who?mikejones
AG
Guzan sucks.
who?mikejones
AG
I think so. Unless he wins everything in sight
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I didn't read earlier in the thread and also said I'm a major novice. I don't know what else there was to say.

Im not acting like I know what I'm talking about because I don't.

I have just felt since the change, the few times I've watched the team they don't look nearly as disciplined. No clue if that's good or bad. If it frees the team up to get more opportunities, and that nets a benefit from the old style then great. I just don't know.
Without knowing what games you have watched, I would guess its just these 2 gold cup games.
During WCQ since Arena has taken over, we have generally looked like the whole team is on the same page and knows their role during the game..along with being played in positions that favor them.
boogieman
AG
Morris looked on to me.
Mathguy64
AG
That was onside.
Bryan98
AG
Klinsmann, whatever his strengths, wasn't effective in coaching this team, and that's his main job. He'd also completely lost the locker room.
TheMasterplan
PatAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

I did see that arena benched a bunch of guys for this game and Martinique isn't good.

and if oyu think klinsmann was good and the decision was short sighted, than I dont know that there is a discussion to be had.
You come off like an absolute *****.
PatAg
AG
mathguy86 said:

PatAg said:

There was a minor wording change in the Law last year that is really being seen and felt at higher levels. It's has to do with waiting until the offensive player actually touches the ball. Not all refs at this level are having their ARs adhere to it it the strictest of senses. And in the end the Center Ref is the one who tells his ARs how he wants them to call it.
This is a ridiculous change, imo.
who?mikejones
AG
Also, these games are not representative of our 1st team. This roster is full of fringe players trying to make the WC.

This tourney is purely to find the role players for next summer.
PatAg
AG
TheMasterplan said:

PatAg said:

Bunk Moreland said:

You come off like an absolute *****.
That was my intention.
Bryan98
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Gotcha. So this is more of a 3 year stop gap versus a hope of a 10 year until with him?

Most pundits expect him in charge less than three years, even. Barring an amazing World Cup performance, you'd expect another hire soon after so that the new coach can start getting acquainted with the team.
Texags is garbage
Bunk Moreland said:

Don't really follow the umnt outside of major events. Caught this 2nd half by accident.

I did see that arena benched a bunch of guys for this game, this isn't close to our top roster, and Martinique isn't good.

Klinsmann not taking any responsibility for results and playing guys out of position along with tinkering were his undoing.
stillmerk
AG
Pareja next coach
Bunk Moreland
This half and Panama from the spring maybe?

Either way I see what you're saying. Tonight they just look like they're 6 goals better than the opponent. That's the way it goes sometimes though.

Is there no backup to Howard better than Guzan?
Bunk Moreland
Definitely didn't like his smugness. That was part of my question at the beginning. Was he not playing the politics?
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

This half and Panama from the spring maybe?

Either way I see what you're saying. Tonight they just look like they're 6 goals better than the opponent. That's the way it goes sometimes though.

Is there no backup to Howard better than Guzan?
There are young guys in the pipeline. Im kind of surprised that we haven't given them one of these first two games.
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

mathguy86 said:

PatAg said:

This is a ridiculous change, imo.
Oh I agree. I threw a flag for offside about 50 yds from goal on a long ball over the top where a clearly offside attacker turned and went after the ball. The (much younger and overly full of himself) CR waited to blow it offside until the attacker actually touched it at the top edge of the area. It cost the defense 30 yds in field position. We had a lengthy discussion afterwards. I might or might not have called him an idiot for penalizing the defense like that. Big difference between the letter and the spirit of the Law.
ja86
AG
Well that sucked balls, at least we got 3 pts. So much for piling on the goals though.
PatAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Definitely didn't like his smugness. That was part of my question at the beginning. Was he not playing the politics?
My opinion of course, but you can get away with that if the performances follow. We had a horrible Gold Cup 2 years ago, and then opened WCQ with 2 losses, one of which we probably had the worst 1st team performance in a decade. Also just numerous games where we really didnt seem to have an overall game plan.

Now there were definitely a fair share of games where we played excellently, so I dont think Jurgen was a horrible coach either.
who?mikejones
AG
Klinsmann didn't do any favors with the mls and it's players.
stillmerk
AG
Just listen to the players in the difference between JK and Arena
Bunk Moreland
Does Martinique have the best flag in the world?
oragator
We played on home soil in a meaningful tournament, and had to hang on for dear life against Martinique.
Played a scoreless,first half, blew a two goal lead, had a howler, missed about 5 bunnies, and looked like the weaker team late despite all,of,our supposed advantages.

I just hope our A starters don't get hurt.
titanmaster_race
stillmerk said:

Just listen to the players in the difference between JK and Arena

This. Also, listen to JKs post game interviews. Nothing was ever his fault. And I'm not exaggerating. I literally can't remember him ever willingly taking the blame for anything after a defeat or a poor showing.
Bryan98
AG
We are well above Martinique's level, but we're also not a world class team. When we voluntarily go with a C or even D squad, well, eventually we'll lower our strength to where they can compete. Still got the win, and looked better in general.

We're serving two masters right now, and we're actually pulling it off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.