Champions League Quarter Finals!

4,884 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggie7911
gambochaman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
offsides
gambochaman
AG
WAY offsides...wow
ja86
AG
BM really is getting hosed in this...

snowdog90
offside, but probably desrved. BM lost this because they didn't get Vidal out at 2-1. He is so good but so out-of-control.
snowdog90
Marcelo has been the best player on this game, despite Ronaldo's hat trick.
gougler08
AG
These refs are so bad
datrixstunna
AG
Loving this....Asencio has a bright future!
AGC
AG
datrixstunna said:

Loving this....Asencio has a bright future!

Better feel for the game than last week.
Mike Elko
AG
PK and OG for Bayern... Weak sauce. Real had a million more chances both legs. Well-deserved semifinal appearance.

Hala. Madrid.
gambochaman
AG
Loving the wear and tear for madrid ahead of the clasico
Mike Elko
AG
gambochaman said:

Pretty sure the Barca chumps will do the same tomorrow... Unless they completely fold again.
AGC
AG
gambochaman said:

Might make it even with Neymar watching from the stands.
AGC
AG
Also Hummels is a ****** for grabbing Ronaldo's foot after one of the goals to trip him on his way to celebrate.
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. Just watched this. What a hack job by the referee and AR2. The center ref is supposed be one of the top 5 or 6 in the world. That's as bad as it gets.
Mathguy64
AG
To be clear if anyone is keeping score, this is the litany I saw.

Casemiro was a goner in the second half After that foul which was legit reckless and a sendoff. The ref reached for his card in his pocket to go Yellow then Red for a second card. Instead he changed his mind and grabbed nothing. If you are keeping him in you absolutely cannot reach for your card and change your mind. You walk over and chew his ass out and give the universal "not again on my watch" signal. You let everyone know you are magnanimous and benevolent in letting him stay and that he's a ****up and if he touches anyone else the rest of the game he heads to the showers. But no. He went to the pocket and pulled out air.

Vidal should have been gone a couple of times yet he kept him in. Until he didn't even commit a foul. When he got his second yellow it wasn't even a foul. Vidal never touches the guy and ticks the ball away. He gets tossed for nothing.

Then the Ronaldo goals. The first was beyond bad. He was standing a full yard offside receiving the ball. The AR has no excuse. He's standing there too rightbin line stationary as can be. It's the easiest offside call you can make. And yet no flag. That's 15 year old first time holding a flag level bad. So the same guy compounds it on the open field pass from Marcelo which is clearly a pass to a forward offside player in Mr. Ronaldo. And the same AR is 3-4 yards at least behind the play. He cannot possibly see on or off because he is so far out of position. This same AR by the way had legitimately called Ronaldo off right before that and CR7 got bent and demonstrated how bad the call was and verbalized it too. So he intimidated the AR and next time out what happens? Magically no offside next time.

Straight out hack job. Two goals from offside and a fictitious foul for a send off and a legit one that never happened. 4 match changing calls and the crew got them all wrong. All in favor of the home team.

The ref boards I read think this may be the worst called high level euro match in 10 years. Maybe more.
ja86
AG
It was a cluster **** in other words lol

It was a match played at a high level, too bad the refs sucked major home cooking balls...
gambochaman
AG
yep...the refs definitely tarnished what was otherwise a frantic and very entertaining match
gambochaman
AG
Today's games:

Barcelona - Juventus (0-3)
Monaco - Borussia Dortmund (3-2)
gambochaman
AG
and from the replays I'm seeing, lewandowski was offsides right before ramos scored the OG....it was extremely close to be sure, but offsides
gambochaman
AG
TIME FOR VIDEO REPLAY DAMMIT
Bryan98
AG
gambochaman said:

This. These are the best refs in the world, and they can't do the job perfectly with just their eyes. Every attorney in the world knows eye witness testimony is unreliable. Video replay now!
byfLuger41
AG
gambochaman said:

+1
Mathguy64
AG
gambochaman said:

It's coming. There are some details still to be worked out in the implementation and in some of the trials it has not worked as it was supposed to. It's basically in beta testing in lower level leagues. There is a possibility MLS will implement it after their all star game.
gougler08
AG
I like the idea of video replay, but what happens if someone is called offside and is actually on (assuming he was going to get a 1v1 with the keeper)? Since play would have been stopped I assume that's just the breaks?
Bryan98
AG
gougler08 said:

I like the idea of video replay, but what happens if someone is called offside and is actually on (assuming he was going to get a 1v1 with the keeper)? Since play would have been stopped I assume that's just the breaks?

Don't stop the play unless it's obvious.

Edit : Also, replay isn't a guarantee of perfect refereeing. It's just an opportunity for better refereeing, particularly in the biggest moments. Any improvement is very welcome, imho.
gambochaman
AG
gougler08 said:

this is simple really...the ref allows the play to go on. Once the play is over (with ANY outcome: a goal, a goal kick, a corner, goalie clears), the video replay people will have had enough time to review and relay the correct call to the ref. If the player was onside, then whatever the outcome was, stands. If the player was offsides, then whatever outcome was originally called is reversed and the defending team is awarded a free kick as usual.

and I would be in favor of this for all plays involving offsides...because ARs sometimes make mistakes the other way (calling a player off when he was not)...this would almost guarantee a right call every time
Mathguy64
AG
Its designed to fix obvious game changing errors like goals scored offside position, clear fouls either not called that would result in a PK or fouls called that may or may not occur in the penalty area (PK or not PK), significant fouls needing cards that were missed or out of the view of the referee and making sure that the card is awarded to the correct player. My understanding is once the offside call is made by the AR and whistled by the referee (remember its not the flag that ends the play but rather the referee accepting the call and blowing it dead), the play cannot be reviewed.

One concern going forward is that ARs will be more reluctant to throw flags on close offside calls, allowing play to continue and if necessary letting the VAR sort it out later. Basically this is the NFL right now. No one wants to blow a whistle as that kills the play. They swallow whistles and let the replay booth sort it out. There is also the dissent angle, where players are starting to surround the referee making the VAR hand signal.
AGC
AG
Bryan98 said:

gougler08 said:

Don't stop the play unless it's obvious.

Edit : Also, replay isn't a guarantee of perfect refereeing. It's just an opportunity for better refereeing, particularly in the biggest moments. Any improvement is very welcome, imho.

Like when the home side gets a pk from a bogus handball in the box? Something like that?
gambochaman
AG
that would be one of the many instances in which video replay would come into play, yes
gambochaman
AG
Quote:

There is also the dissent angle, where players are starting to surround the referee making the VAR hand signal.

you solve this with basically every play that can be reviewed, gets reviewed. The call would come to the ref thru his headset and/or their nifty smart watches...at that point the call is absolute
titanmaster_race
gambochaman said:

Quote:

There is also the dissent angle, where players are starting to surround the referee making the VAR hand signal.

you solve this with basically every play that can be reviewed, gets reviewed. The call would come to the ref thru his headset and/or their nifty smart watches...at that point the call is absolute

I'm sure that will stop Barcelona and any pep guardiola teams from surrounding the ref after any call goes against them
Mathguy64
AG
gambochaman said:

Quote:

You solve it by telling players straight up that behaviour will not be tolerated and cards will be issued for every offender. And you follow up with that threat. Last Euro they did this with mass confrontation. And you know what? There wasn't any, But you have to be willing to follow through with cards for everybody.

Rugby has a good, efficient model. It works fast and players respect it. That's the model soccer needs to implement.
deadbq03
AG
I just hope they can be fast about it... if the VAR can't make a determination by the next change of possession, then it's not clearly a problem and play should continue.

Maybe I'm just selfish, but as a recent convert to soccer, one of the facets of the game I really like is that you know exactly how much of your day is going to be occupied watching the game (in normal games anyways, for tournaments I'll obviously be happy to watch some extra time).
gambochaman
AG
titanmaster_race said:

gambochaman said:

Quote:

I'm sure that will stop Barcelona and any pep guardiola teams from surrounding the ref after any call goes against them
probably not, but it will make it a lot easier to card people
AGC
AG
mathguy86 said:

gambochaman said:

Quote:

You solve it by telling players straight up that behaviour will not be tolerated and cards will be issued for every offender. And you follow up with that threat. Last Euro they did this with mass confrontation. And you know what? There wasn't any, But you have to be willing to follow through with cards for everybody.

Rugby has a good, efficient model. It works fast and players respect it. That's the model soccer needs to implement.

And when players go into the refs' dressing room like Lewandoski, Tiago, and Vidal last night you need to suspend them multiple CL games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.