Pulisic is going to be first American superstar

3,863 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dre_00
H.E. Pennypacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Barring injury, his skills, intelligence and playmaking are can't miss.
TheMasterplan
He just got a bad looking tat on his arm. Hopefully he doesn't have a JFF future in him.

H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Rumor from a month ago that Barcelona was sniffing around seems much more legit now. He looks and moves like a Barcelona player. I didn't expect to say that about an American player anytime soon.
datrixstunna
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

He looks and moves like a Barcelona player.

As long as he doesnt start diving like barca player.
Gordo14
Messi is the Argentinian Pulisic
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Pulisic may be the United States' first ever true world-class player.

He may not quite be a Messi, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Ronaldo, whatever, but no one will roll their eyes mentioning him in the same sentence.

Time will tell, but the product on the field for the BVB and now the USMNT is starting to look different.

If the US qualifies for Russia 2018, Pulisic's form will spell the difference between a group stage exit and a deep, competitive run.
Bryan98
AG
As excited as I am, I'm keeping in mind that Messi's team has some other great players and they still can't win the Copa or the World Cup.

I will admit that I've never before thought that the US could win the World Cup. The team that played last night has a chance in any game they play.
deadbq03
AG
datrixstunna said:

H.E. Pennypacker said:

He looks and moves like a Barcelona player.

As long as he doesnt start diving like barca player.
Or biting.
Dre_00
Did you see what Messi did to his hair? Abominations of personal style are rather frequent in soccer. I'd even argue it's a necessity to be a truly elite player. Pulisic's tattoo ensures greatness...it doesn't deter it.
Kampfers
AG
blindey said:

He may not quite be a Messi, Zidane, Cruyff, Best, Ronaldo, whatever, but no one will roll their eyes mentioning him in the same sentence.
No, this is the exact kind of eye rolling material we should expect after a game like yesterday.

Pulisic may end up that good, but to even be in that sentence he needs to be the best player of his generation. He will assuredly be very good - but the best of a generation? There's only the slightest of possibilities for that.

For BVB, Dembele is a prospect of similar age I would put ahead of Pulisic. That's not to say CP is a bad player. He's excellent. But you're essentially saying he will be the best player of the next 5-10 years, and that's absolutely absurd
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Kampfers said:

blindey said:

No, this is the exact kind of eye rolling material we should expect after a game like yesterday.

Pulisic may end up that good, but to even be in that sentence he needs to be the best player of his generation. He will assuredly be very good - but the best of a generation? There's only the slightest of possibilities for that.

For BVB, Dembele is a prospect of similar age I would put ahead of Pulisic. That's not to say CP is a bad player. He's excellent. But you're essentially saying he will be the best player of the next 5-10 years, and that's absolutely absurd
Did I not hedge the wording in my post enough to keep from drawing a condescending dewsh bag response like this? Sheesh.

I said the kid may be our first chance. Not he is assured to be among the footballing gods.
Bryan98
AG
Well, if you ignore the first sentence, his response was pretty much just even-handed discussion. =D
JJxvi
AG
blindey said:

Did I not hedge the wording in my post enough to keep from drawing a condescending dewsh bag response like this? Sheesh.

I said the kid may be our first chance. Not he is assured to be among the footballing gods.
I think the players you picked were a little extreme. I would say there is probably next to zero chance that Pulisic could achieve that status, so there's gonna be eyerolling.

You'd be better off comparing him to players like say...Eden Hazard, Toni Kroos, or even Gareth Bale, Wayne Rooney, Arjen Robben etc. Saying he has a chance to reach those heights, and be one of the best attacking players in the world would be quite an amazing feat, but you went beyond that and named like legends of the game that almost no player can hope to reach. Only a player that is a young player and already a world superstar like Neymar or somebody is going to be somebody who you could take seriously and not eyeroll when mentioned that he "has a chance" to be like those guys. .
TexAg15
AG
Found the Europhile.
Aston94
AG
Donovan mentioned on the broadcast Friday night that Pulisic is light years ahead of where he was at that age, so that says something as to where we think he could go. He is in a great place for a young player and is being cultivated in the proper manner. He seems to have a level head and a good family/support system, much like Jordan Spieth, so it seems like he has all the tools needed to develop into a wonderful player. But expecting him to be the best, or top 3, player in the world is asking a lot.

Let's get a player like Hazard, Rooney, Bale or someone of their level before we ask him to be the next Messi.
tysker
AG
I foresee Pulisic's presence making the players around him better. Not just because of his vision, technical skills and off the ball runs but mostly because of the attention he will draw from the other team. We saw Friday night what he looks like with crafty veterans like Dempsey and Jozy in front of him. I can only imagine how scared defenses are going to be when the US also get guys like Morris and Woods up top and have FJ and Yedlin crashing down the wings.
gig them
AG
The "best of a generation" talk is a bit much.

But could I see him making a World XI at some point in his career? Sure.
Bryan98
AG
gig them said:

The "best of a generation" talk is a bit much.

But could I see him making a World XI at some point in his career? Sure.

He's already making Champions League Best XI lists, in fact.
PatAg
AG
I remember when Stu Holden made a mid season Best XI for the premier league. Then he got his knee thugged out
Pahdz
PatAg said:

I remember when Stu Holden made a mid season Best XI for the premier league. Then he got his knee thugged out
thanks for bringing that up...freaking sad the USMNT never got the best Stu
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Fair enough. Thanks for the response.
jeffk
AG
PatAg said:

Wow. Debbie Damn Downer.
byfLuger41
AG
Jonny Evans
gig them
AG
Guardian readers mid-season player of the year, at his peak: https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/dec/21/readers-premier-league-team-season-so-far

Stu is the best. Met him in person, and he's legitimately the nicest athlete I've ever met.
Dre_00
My god. Stu Holden playing at a top level. Coyle getting praise for his coaching ability. That article may as well be from an alternate universe.

I had the good fortune to interact with him on a couple of occasions outside of soccer. Stu is an extremely likable guy.
TheMasterplan
Dre_00 said:

Did you see what Messi did to his hair? Abominations of personal style are rather frequent in soccer. I'd even argue it's a necessity to be a truly elite player. Pulisic's tattoo ensures greatness...it doesn't deter it.
He got another one. I hope you're right.

jeffk
AG
Stu responded to one of my tweets today.
Dre_00
You framed it, didn't you?
jeffk
AG
Of course!

I print out all my tweets, but I have a special binder full to the very best ones.
Dre_00
Be easier to just call that binder "Dre's Tweets"
jeffk
AG
I could call it that... I do appreciate good irony.
akm91
AG
Don't think Pulisic will ever get the "star treatment" from the refs.
Dre_00
And I didn't even see it coming.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.