Expectations for Arena

1,710 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Olsen
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does he have to do for him to say he was successful as the coach this go round? I saw a NBC Sports article asking this question.

I say the following:

-at least a 3rd place finish in WCQ. We need 16 points from our remaining 8 games and that's doable.
-Solid play in Gold Cup. Doesn't have to win but needs to make a good run and team needs to play well.
-Decent showing at the World Cup. I won't say make the knockout round because I think a group of death situation will knock us out, but if we are in an easy group then I'll change that to making the knockout rounds.

I have faith in the guy as a coach although I wanted someone else. His resume and previous national team experience shows he has the pedigree to be successful.
Mr. White
I think the team is far more talented than we think. They are likely dancing at any time of the day they remind themselves that JK is gone. They will have direction. They have something to prove. They're going to be GOOD.

I expect second in the Hex

Gold Cup finalist

Not sure about World Cup until the draw.

gig them
AG
1) Qualify for the WC - don't care if it happens via playoffs (we're drawn vs. Asia so that wouldn't be that tough anyways)
2) Don't look like ass at the WC

That's honestly all I need from this. We made this move to avoid disaster during the '18 cycle, and an avoidance of disaster will be a success. The next hire, however, needs to be absolute nails.
PatAg
AG
Looking like a cohesive team with actual in game tactics, in addition to what has been mentioned by Mr. White.
Mathguy64
AG
Create a shape that maximizes the potential of the players available and stick with it. Play the best players you have within that shape and play them together as often as you can. Let all players know they have a fresh start and they all have the opportunity to prove they are the best players.

The WC qualifying will take care of itself.
titanmaster_race
#1 - when the tactics are crap and his lineups/substitutions are also crap, I expect him to take the blame for it instead of publicly throwing players under the bus.
snowdog90
As some others stated, PLAY THE BEST PLAYERS AVAILABLE.

Don't be results-oriented to a fault. Looking at 2014, people could claim JK was a success. "Yay, we got out of the group". We played 1 good game in 2014, against a bad Portugal team, which we managed to screw up and tie. We beat Ghana when they weren't even sure they were gonna get paid or play all their games. We looked like a high school team against Germany and Belgium, and almost beat Belgium totally against the run of play.

To be successful, this team needs to look like the 2002 team that lost to Germany in the quarters. That game could have gone either way, and the US competed like a team that didn't think Germany was better.

Results are important, but in soccer, they can be misleading. We need to see a team that is confident, talented, cohesive, able to compete consistently no matter who the opponent is. It seems like that is what Arena is best at. After all, it was him at the controls of that 2002 team where we had no business beating Germany, but scared the crap out of them, and gained tons of respect that sadly has now been mostly lost.
TheMasterplan
Find a more happy medium between winning and player development.

Jurgen was a little too far on the player development/tinkerer side.

Get Pulisic involved a lot.
AG@RICE
AG
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
jeffk
AG
Not look like ass, my dude.
PJD Ag 10
AG
That Stars and Stripes blog had a good article this morning on Arena's vision for the team.

I'm probably in the minority, but I very much agree with Arena's distaste of advanced analytics in soccer. It's just one of those sports that is so fluid advanced stats can't really quantify a player'a value. I think of someone like Juan Riquelme, who was a genius just by controlling the game through his distribution. Can't quantify why a certain ball was better to be played than another.

Anyway, I think Bruce will be good and there's a really talented pool to choose from, especially guys who JK just gave up on.
PatAg
AG
PJD Ag 10 said:

That Stars and Stripes blog had a good article this morning on Arena's vision for the team.

I'm probably in the minority, but I very much agree with Arena's distaste of advanced analytics in soccer. It's just one of those sports that is so fluid advanced stats can't really quantify a player'a value. I think of someone like Juan Riquelme, who was a genius just by controlling the game through his distribution. Can't quantify why a certain ball was better to be played than another.

Anyway, I think Bruce will be good and there's a really talented pool to choose from, especially guys who JK just gave up on.
He also had a quote in an article on the US soccer page for espn, to the effect of we need to be playing someone with a little more creativity/ability to pass centrally in the midfield. He said the thinks bradley and jones are both still valuable to this team, but neither is that player. I think most of us on this board have said something to that effect, and it's nice to see it in print.
PJD Ag 10
AG
Definitely. I think Bradley has immense value, and there's a reason European teams are still calling him, but he's not the creative.

He can tackle hard, will always be well positioned, can finish pretty well, and when he isn't asked to be Xavi, is an effective distributor.

Sounds like Jones will move out and Bradley can man the 6 alone. I think Feilhaber is a great option in front of him.
Kampfers
AG
Finish top 3 in the hex. Don't want to leave it to some random playoff, even if it is against Oceania. Other than that, where you finish in the qualifying spots really doesn't matter

Win the Gold Cup. I won't call for him to be fired unless we look like ass and crash out before the final, but the expectation should be to win. Mexico will likely send a B squad with the Confederations Cup on the horizon so we should definitely consider ourselves favorites if that is the case.

Make it out of the group in the WC and see how far the ride can go. I think its a crapshoot once you get out of the group and I think its a but much given the current state of disarray to expect us to do anything more than get out of the group here. And hopefully we can accomplish that without doing an impression of a turtle for 75% of the game.
YankeeAg05
Lots of great stuff in the recent interviews. The need for a creative player is mentioned above but he also said we have a few of those domestically already that he'd look at in January camp. I can't recall the article but when asked about Pulisic's position he responded that he does well where Dortmund plays him on the wing. Left me with the impression he would be less likely to move people constantly to positions they don't play at club level.
PatAg
AG
YankeeAg05 said:

Lots of great stuff in the recent interviews. The need for a creative player is mentioned above but he also said we have a few of those domestically already that he'd look at in January camp. I can't recall the article but when asked about Pulisic's position he responded that he does well where Dortmund plays him on the wing. Left me with the impression he would be less likely to move people constantly to positions they don't play at club level.
Yea, I think part of his reasoning is that Pulisic is still young and is already doing well at that spot.
Olsen
AG
Bumping this thread back up and he didn't even last a year long.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.