***** Official USMNT vs Costa Rica WCQ Match Thread *****

13,348 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bryan98
H.E. Pennypacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jay040 said:

Quote:

I don't see what people see in Horvath.
Besides that fact that he starts and wins with a Europa league team at his age?

Dude plays in Norway. Let's not pretend he's a young Tim Howard playing for Man U. I could end up being wrong and him turning into a great goalkeeper, but I don't see anything special about him right now. He's a tall, fairly mobile guy with good positioning for a young goalkeeper. That's what I see.

The USMNT goalkeeping bar is high. From Tony Meola playing lights out at USA 94, to Friedel/Keller/Howard all putting the team on their back in huge games for us. That's how I judge American keepers.
ScottishFire
AG
Thanks for the clear up.

And, I hate Bein Sports.
jeffk
AG
We all do. When they used their wide camera angle, the only guys I could pick out were Jozy and Brooks (because he's enormous).
MB19
AG
Bryan98 said:

ScottishFire said:

If we want to know how serious the USSF is about our team, we only need to look at the television coverage. Bein Sports? WTH?

I had to watch the game on Spanish NBC with the television muted.

The TV thing was covered already in this thread. The contract is controlled by the home team - Costa Rica, in this case. BeIn buys up some of these away games, and there's nothing US Soccer can do about it.

It's the same with non-conference college football games.
Bein Sports is essentially the Al Jazeera ESPN. And you get C-USA football!!! Woohooo!!!!!
DuncanField91
AG
Quote:

I honestly felt like we were making better progress as a "soccer country" under Arena and Bradley than we have ever made under JK.

Well, he did bring birth age to youth soccer. So there's that to be thankful for. Im sure the benefits of that chaos will be seen very soon. Just wait.
LeonardSkinner
Jurgen, he's happy, I'm happy, is that why you are doing this? You don't want us to be happy?

Jurgen: No!

Well then get your **** together, get it all together and put it in a back pack, all your ****, so it's together.

And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the **** store and sell it, or put it in the **** museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together.

Get your **** together.
bmc13
AG
Ryno01 said:

I would personally like to thank DirecTV for not offering beIN TV even though I pay a **** ton of money to them.

So glad I missed the match.

I thought directv has bein? in the 600s? or was bein not showing it on that bein channel?
Mathguy64
AG
bmc13 said:

Ryno01 said:

I would personally like to thank DirecTV for not offering beIN TV even though I pay a **** ton of money to them.

So glad I missed the match.

I thought directv has bein? in the 600s? or was bein not showing it on that bein channel?
Its not a normal free add in. DTV gives away too many shopping channels and things like the LHN to be giving away BeIN
bmc13
Kampfers
AG
aggie kid said:

Jurgen, he's happy, I'm happy, is that why you are doing this? You don't want us to be happy?

Jurgen: No!

Well then get your **** together, get it all together and put it in a back pack, all your ****, so it's together.

And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the **** store and sell it, or put it in the **** museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together.

Get your **** together.
nowhere is safe from rich and morto references
Pahdz
MB19 said:

Bryan98 said:

ScottishFire said:

If we want to know how serious the USSF is about our team, we only need to look at the television coverage. Bein Sports? WTH?

I had to watch the game on Spanish NBC with the television muted.

The TV thing was covered already in this thread. The contract is controlled by the home team - Costa Rica, in this case. BeIn buys up some of these away games, and there's nothing US Soccer can do about it.

It's the same with non-conference college football games.
Bein Sports is essentially the Al Jazeera ESPN. And you get C-USA football!!! Woohooo!!!!!
Don't forget the Butch Davis FIU Coach's Show (real ad during last night's game)
jay040
H.E. Pennypacker said:

jay040 said:

Quote:

I don't see what people see in Horvath.
Besides that fact that he starts and wins with a Europa league team at his age?

Dude plays in Norway. Let's not pretend he's a young Tim Howard playing for Man U. I could end up being wrong and him turning into a great goalkeeper, but I don't see anything special about him right now. He's a tall, fairly mobile guy with good positioning for a young goalkeeper. That's what I see.

The USMNT goalkeeping bar is high. From Tony Meola playing lights out at USA 94, to Friedel/Keller/Howard all putting the team on their back in huge games for us. That's how I judge American keepers.

In October 2015 Horvath joined Brad Friedel, Kasey Keller, Tim Howard, and Brad Guzan as the only American goalkeepers ever to play in the UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cup group stage.

On October 2, 2015, Horvath was named to the Europa League Team of the Week, a day after being named Man of the Match for a 11 draw against Ajax in which he notched 10 saves, most notably on a point-blank header from Viktor Fischer and on a corner serve from Davy Klaassen in stoppage time.

Horvath led Molde to a first-place finish in Europa League Group A with successful two-legged fixtures against Ajax, Celtic, and Fenerbahe, the latter of which featured two saves on Robin van Persie and three saves on Nani. Combining his play in the Tippeligaen and in the Europa League, he had not allowed multiple goals in a match for over two months. Horvath faced eventual Europa League champions Sevilla in the knockout phase and was unable to prevent a 13 aggregate defeat of Molde, although he kept a clean sheet in the second leg.

You're right, he's the ripe old age of 21 and is an embarrassment to the USMNT goalkeeper legacy. May he hang his head in shame.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Alright calm down Mr Horvath. I didn't say your son was trash, I just said I didn't think he was a superstar in making. By comparison, T. Howard was moving on to Man U by age 22 or 23. For the sake of the USMNT, I hope Mr Horvath proves me wrong.
jay040
Ha, I laughed,and starred.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

By comparison, T. Howard was moving on to Man U by age 22 or 23.
I hate people bring up Howard at United. He had about half a decent season there before being dropped and spending most of the next 2 years on the bench as the Cup keeper.
aarjon
Yarbrough is the answer! Just watch a Leon match, he keeps his team from being crap.
Bryan98
AG
We need the next coach to do a complete re-evaluation of our personnel.

Ideally, this would start next Monday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.