Everton 2016-2017 Thread

6,225 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
datrixstunna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everton do not look good. The Sunderland defense is abysmal - Lukaku was left unmarked on the goals.
fig96
AG
quote:
Everton do not look good. The Sunderland defense is abysmal - Lukaku was left unmarked on the goals.
Funny how bad marking looks when you're trying to defend a guy who's 6' 3".

Nice win.
RolloInsurance
Great performance by Lukaku. 3 points = 3 points.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
That was actually really bad defending too. But we're in third place and racking up points. Either way, manchester united is below us on the table. Where they belong.
datrixstunna
AG
quote:
Either way, manchester united is below us on the table. Where they belong.

God Bless you! Thanks for the chuckle!
RolloInsurance
Another solid win. Points now count the same as points in May.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Good to be in second place. I like what I see so far in Koeman and this squad.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Way to drop 3 points at effing Bournemouth. Sad. And looked like a total grab-ass nonsense performance that we saw too often under Martinez.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thanks for the point, Fellaini!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Much needed three points. Side looked good today. Goodson was ROCKING.
byfLuger41
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This toffee has two thumbs and is headed to the derby on Monday. If you're curious about the Goodson park experience on derby day, I will likely post the review next Wednesday.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
About to board my flight. IAH to LHR. Then it's the tube to Euston Station. Virgin trains to Liverpool Lime Street, check into my hotel, shower, short nap, and drinking. Derby is at 8 local time. I will post live pics if I can.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
At Euston station waiting for my train to Liverpool
Mr. White
Give Gulati's phone number to Klopp.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Lol. Klopp is such an odd name. Sounds like an onomatopoeia for taking a really greasy, fart-laced dump.

Hanging around in central Liverpool now. There is a newish pedestrian shopping center where there is an everton and Liverpool shop next to one another.
Dre_00
Nice. Who needs NBC Sports when you have live TexAgs coverage?
fig96
AG
Awesome stuff man, enjoy the trip!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Disappointing loss. Wow Goodison is basically a disaster waiting to happen. Great stadium. Fun time and fun match but bad result. Worth going to even with the loss. Wow.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Morgan Schneiderlin to Everton. Really good pickup, IMO. He was a fabulous talent before man u bought him and squandered him.

It took a minute, but Everton got rid of Fellanni and brought in Schneiderlin. That's a massive upgrade.
fig96
AG
Edmond Dantes said:

Morgan Schneiderlin to Everton. Really good pickup, IMO. He was a fabulous talent before man u bought him and squandered him.

It took a minute, but Everton got rid of Fellanni and brought in Schneiderlin. That's a massive upgrade.
Confirmed? I'm seeing lots of rumors but nothing certain yet. Would be a great move for sure.

Rumored to be looking at Depay as well, that would be interesting.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
according to a french soccer website, sorry, i guess that's not official
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This is a TL;DR post about my experience at Goodison on Derby Day on December 19th. Long story short, Derby Day at Goodison was a bucket list item for me (and a second derby day is now a bucket list item too). Without further adieu:

UA flight 880 was uneventful. Air time is just over 7 hours. The strange part is that when you arrive, its six in the morning local but just after midnight at home. Its supposed to be morning but all I felt like was ordering another pint. Star Alliance carriers are banished to the nether regions of Heathrow terminal 2. The part where you have to walk half a mile on the underground moving walkways to get to the baggage claim. The walk is so long that once we clear passport control, our bags were waiting.

The bright signs guide most confused tourists (along with anyone unwilling to risk it) to the Heathrow express. 24 pounds for a direct train to Paddington. 24 pounds would be worth it for a straight shot but we need to get to Euston. So we head to the tube. I think it was 6 pounds. Picadilly line for just south of a billion stops to green park, change for the Victoria line north a few stops to Euston.

Euston station is a stones' throw from St. Pancras (for reference for anyone that's been on the Eurostar). Its in a decent part of London. The sort of place where no one is going to shank you walking alone at night but not exactly tourist central. We have a bit of time to kill before we catch our ride up north.

Our options to get to Liverpool were either IAH-LHR direct followed by the train trip or IAH-somewhere-MAN. Nobody really flies to the tiny Liverpool airport. Since the connection from MAN to Liverpool was still going to take substantial time, we picked London and then a train ride.

Virgin Trains doesn't care to post train platforms until about 15 minutes before departure. So our train was posted and we walked out to our platform and boarded. The English countryside was the English countryside. Pretty. Nice scenery. Sheep. Cup-o-tea. Bad Weather, worse food. Think of Cousin Avi from Snatch talking about going to London.

We bought the cheap seats on the train. Direct from Euston to Liverpool was around 100 pounds. If you changed at Crewe, it was 40. So we stopped at Crewe and changed to the regional commuter rail. Urban sprawl is certainly happening in the area between Manchester and Liverpool. Housing blocs going up everywhere.

We finally reached Liverpool's Lime Street Station. Since our hotel was downhill to the waterfront, we opted for the half-mile walk.

An aside: I've always gotten solid guidance from the famed Canadian travel guru/nerd Rick Steves. His current edition UK guide book (and TripAdvisor for that matter) listed a Beatles-themed boutique hotel as one of the best options in the city. So after a 10-minute walk, we found ourselves in the lobby of the Hard Day's Night Hotel. As usual, the Canadian nerd was right. Beautiful property. Great staff. Incredible location. Beatles paraphernalia everywhere. There was a yellow submarine themed juke box next to the front desk. Our room had a balcony with a River Mersey view. There was a stylized paining of George Harrison circa 1970 hanging over the headboard of the bed. If you go to a derby, I recommend the place. Managed to do the Beatles theme well without being excessively cheesy.

We settled in, had a nap, and then went for a walk. Liverpool was long known as a port town followed by what would best compare to a rust-belt town. But in the last decade, substantial money has been poured into redeveloping the city. The docklands and the area nearby are all redeveloped and mostly restricted to pedestrians. Very well done. There is a center comparable to the place where the House of Blues in Houston is located nearby. In that center, Everton and Liverpool have adjacent fanshops. Everton's is called Everton 2 (Everton 1 is across the street from Goodison Park). We picked up some scarves and a baby Everton kit for our forthcoming son. Need to get the boy off to a good start.

We dropped everything but some cash, IDs, and scarves, donned our royal blue strips, and bid George adieu as we headed out to the match. Since Goodison is 2 miles away and my wife is pregnant, we took a cab. 6 pounds well spent. Our cab driver was friendly but a kopite. His family had a more-or-less blue/red split that didn't follow any real pattern. Was pretty surprised that Americans travelled from Houston to Liverpool for the derby. He dropped us off by the stadium at Bullens Road.

When you first see Goodison lit up in royal blue at night, it is a sight to see. Goodison is spelled out in lighted blue letters atop the stadium. To the left, a large wall is illuminated in blue with a white Everton crest.

For a stadium that seats over 40,000, it is small. We walked all the way around in under 15 minutes. Goodison is in effectively a middle class residential neighborhood. Almost completely surrounded by two floor townhomes. There were some chip shops interspersed along the street (all with lines out the door) and a few pubs that were packed shoulder-to-shoulder.

We had seats in the upper Bullens stand. We found the proper entrance and made our way inside the stadium.

Everton currently has plans to build a new stadium in the docklands. They need a new stadium. My first reaction inside the Bullens road stand was, "if there is a fire, we are going to die."

I did a write-up about a year ago about how ****ty Upton Park was. Goodison is worse. More dated. Worse sight lines. Disaster waiting to happen. It would never comply with any fire code in the United States (or even Guam or other minor outlying territories).

Inside the upper Bullens stand, there are ancient bathrooms, a few concession stands, and of course an oddsmaker offering specials on the match. The floors and staircases were all made of wood. We went inside early to get some photos and a good look at the ground before the match started. We were just a few minutes too late to get one of the blue Everton santa hats that the ushers were handing out.

We went back to the corridor for a bathroom break and so I could down a few pints. With the pound going for a buck and a quarter, 4 pounds for a pint inside the stadium wasn't entirely unreasonable. Except that the only pint they sell is the kit sponsor's swill: Chang Beer. Blech.

After a few beers, the crowd started picking back up so we made our way to our seats. Goodison is so out of date that the only guarantee of a non-obstructed view is to get seats on the lowest level or on the newer Park stand at the south end of the stadium. The post impeding our view meant that whenever the ball was on the other end of the pitch, we had to lean forward or backward for any sort of a view.

The Gwladys stand (crazy supporters) was next to us. They did a big card stunt right as Z-Cars started playing and the team made their way out onto the pitch. The match itself was intense. Opportunities came and went. The Everton faithful had some fun songs, but usually kept it pretty simple. We were seated next to a father with a seriously foul-mouthed 12-13-year-old son. During the match, I heard things come out of that kid's mouth that would make Red Foxx blush.

The second half was marred with injuries that ended up in 8 minutes' added time. That 8 minutes proved fatal to the Toffees. The final 25 minutes of the contest looked like a listless effort from the home side they were not keeping possession and the entire crowd in the Gwladys end voiced their displeasure. A single point would have been a good result based on Everton's terrible effort at the end of the match. The Liverpool goal at the death sealed the fans' discontent.

Goodison emptied quickly. We joined the mass of blue for the sad walk down County Road back into Liverpool. Since it was Monday night, the pubs were quiet. We stopped at the hotel bar so that I could have a post-mortem drink (and my wife could have a post-mortem glass of sparkling water). We went to our room, took a look from our balcony out at the city and the River Mersey beyond. Everton lost, but in the end it was a bucket list experience and one that I won't forget anytime soon.
fig96
AG
Awesome stuff man, sounds like a pretty fantastic trip. Great except for the result.

Any pics you can share?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
View from our seats pre-match

Just after full-time. You can see the massive support that was in our way that we had to lean forward and backward to see around.

I have some video that I will try to post later if my Luddite ass can figure out how to delete the last few seconds that includes me & my wife in the frame.
heddleston
AG
Glad we got Schneiderlin, hope to see some more good moves before the month is over
byfLuger41
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
yeah wow. 4-0. What a win.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
There we go. Another 3 points on the road. Need to keep getting results.
Mr. White
Inching up to 6th
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
4 goals by Lukaku. What a fun match to watch. Barkley 94th minute showboating goal was spectacular.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Nice win today. Wild one. Up 1-0 in 30 seconds only to be down 1-2 in under ten minutes. Up 3-2 at the break followed by a nice Lukaku goal to close proceedings at 4-2.

We are now level on points with Arsenal (though they have 3 matches in hand). Looking like we are almost mathematically eliminated from both Europe and 8th place with 7 matches left.

Improvement from last season. Let's close it off nicely. Maybe we can steal a Europa spot and hang on to Lukaku.
Dre_00
If Arsenal finish outside of the top 4 but win the FA Cup, don't you get a Europa League spot? Assuming United also finish outside the top 4 which they almost certainly will.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Nope. UCL is top 4. Winning the FA cup gets you a Europa league slot if you don't already have a place in Europe.
fig96
AG
That was a crazy entertaining game.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.