Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dream coach at A&M........................

6,895 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by AggieLit
jread07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

Well, if we hire another current D-1 head coach, then that coach will be on this list:

Chris Petersen (Boise State)
Chris Scelfo (Tulane)
Chuck Amato (North Carolina State)
Dan Hawkins (Colorado)
Dan McCarney (Iowa State)
Darrell Dickey (North Texas)
Dave Wannstedt (Pittsburgh)
Dennis Franchione (Texas A&M)
Dick Tomey (San Jose State)
Dirk Koetter (Arizona State)
Doug Martin (Kent State)
Ed Orgeron (Mississippi)
Fisher DeBerry (Air Force)

You could at least taken Fran off the list.
bmiller
AG
Good point. We can probably go ahead and take him off the list ... baring a miracle (we win out, win the Big 12 championship game and win the BCS bowl). Other than that, it is not looking good for Fran.
BD88
AG

If you live in Dallas and know the big cigars up there, you know this guy is still in play.
regis1979
My pick: Mike Sherman Offensive coordinator Houston Texans. And just for kicks Dat Nguyen can be the Defensive coordinator! This guy can walk into any living room and say "I coach Brett Farve!" Oh buy the way Farve liked Him so much he considered retiring from football when Green Bay Fired Him!
Del Rio Ag
If we let Franchione coach at A&M Briles would be a big step up since he is a great high school coach.
hammer11
Art Briles hands down
dixichkn
AG
Dream coach? Jackie Sherrill with an integrity implant.....
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Pete Carroll? If only for a few years of his recruits....
elen2009
I heard Bill Parcells was kinda bored with his gig at ESPN.
blalockAg
hammer are you really serious in saying you like Briles over many other HC canidates, if so, if kinda blows my mind you think that way
Kentatm
Jim Leavitt (South Florida)

he even knows how to stop the spread option. surely he could solve TT as well.

[This message has been edited by Kentatm (edited 10/15/2007 4:25a).]
C-ya @ the Chicken
AG
Bob Stoops !!!

8 seasons.

5 conference championships, 5 BCS bowls, 2 BCS wins, 1 MNC

Finishes: 7 in top 25; 5 in top 10; 4 in top 5; one MNC

A great game day coach.
He will have it thrown to the endzone rather than run, run, run, try a field goal.
heddy Lamarr
AG
DIG HIM UP...

C-ya @ the Chicken
AG
Oh, and 4-4 through 8 bowls out of 8 years.
stantheman01
AG
Lou Holtz. I'd like to see him sing the Aggie War Hymn
S.A. Aggie
AG
Spurrier!
FocalAg
Greetings All!!

If you look at the current offensive/defensive systems being used in the Big 12, you will notice that there is a trend toward more offense and a bend not break defense. If you are going to design your new football program around stopping offenses that use a wide open style, then you had better look at defensive minded coaches who have proven their worth on the field and off as a coach. They should come from winning traditions and from championship teams. These candidates should have impeccable credentials as far as charachter is concerned as well. Lets not forget, the NCAA will be paying A&M a visit soon and will be watching us like a hawk for quite some time to come. So, who do we have?

#1 on my list is Mike Singletary. Mike is the assistant head coach of the 49ers and is a stickler for discipline on and off the field. Mike comes from a great tradition of excellence from his time he stepped on the field at Baylor to being the coordinator at SF. He would bring instant credibility to the program and recruits would be impressed by his mere presence in their living rooms. Knows Texas football and understands how important it is to the state, plus hs knows what its like to play at A&M. It would also be great to have an African-American as a head coach here. The use of the race card with recruits would be put to bed immediately. That would be my first choice.

2nd choice would be Bill Cowher. Bill has all the lineage that any recruit would be impressed with. Super Bowl win, defensive minded coach who has to have discipline but loves his players!!! Brings tremendous passion to the game and genuinely loves coaching. Would be an ideal coach for A&M. Loves tremendous fan support and would be the prototypical Ag!!!

3rd choice would be Jason Garrett, offensive coordinator of the Cowboys. Now, lets not talk about the NE ass whooping they took yesterday, lets look at his resume. He is a very good offensive minded coach that has taken a young QB and a tempermental Jack Ass and has gotten them to work together! Thats impressive enough as it is, but he has great lineage as well. His dad has been a football coach all of his life and has been around football all of his life. He knows how to attack a defense and he knows that to win at any level, you need defense! He is under the age of 40, is a former Cowboy player,( recruit Dallas....hello??). Offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins and the Cowboys currently. Lets also take into consideration that Jason has taken what most people thought was a lackluster offense, and has made it a threat to go the distance with non-New England/Indy talent!!! This guy is ready to be a head coach. Only problem is he wont stay more than 5 years. The NFL is where he will eventually be.

4th would be Spurrier. I know, I know, the baggage he brings, but take a look at what Spurrier has done at South Carolina. He has that progrm turned around in three years and quite possibly could win the east in the SEC. South Carolina???? Since when?? They dont have the greatest traditions in the SEC and he has to recruit against the SEC and Florida State and Miami and now South Florida???? Give me a break!!! The man is a great recruiter and would be a huge pain in the back side of Bob Stoops and the little pirate in Lubbock!! He knows offense and he knows the value of defense and Spurrier wants one more MNC before he retires. I dont think he will get it at South Carolina....too many obstacles....SEC for one. You have to have the run like LSU and Florida have in recruitng for over 4 years to pull the off and in the SEC, especially in SC, that isnt likely to happen.

So, bring him the A&M and turn him loose with the facilities we have, the recognition and validation he has, and you have a great chance of turning this thing around in 2 years! Only draw back on Spurrier is longevfity as well. This would be his last stop before retirement and 5 years would be all we could hope for.

I personally think that we need to find the coach that wants to make Aggieland that last stop on their careeer path. Mac has that in Austin and it appears Stoops has settled on that in Norman. We need that as well.

If we are going to make a move, we need to start now! Nebraska is not going to be happy with Bill and the boys and there lack of defense as well, and if you think for one minute that LSU wont be after someone when their coach leaves to go coach Michigan, you are sadly mistaken. We need to find someone NOW!!! Get them to agree to a contract now and get them ready for Nov. 24th!!!!

My two cents!!!
LawAg05
AG
bill cower
Gigem314
AG
Spurrier...no doubt.
aggie4tkd
AG
My dream coach for TAMU would be Dat Nguyen when he’s ready (possibly 5-years or so). During the interim, I honestly don’t know who could pull us out of this funk… Spurrier perhaps, but I just don’t see him coming over; although, stranger things have happened.

I guess an even better scenario would be Spurrier has the HC with Nguyen as the DC and then Nguyen assuming HC duties when Spurrier steps down after wining a MNC for us!
Piercing Mae
AG
quote:
My pick: Mike Sherman Offensive coordinator Houston Texans. And just for kicks Dat Nguyen can be the Defensive coordinator! This guy can walk into any living room and say "I coach Brett Farve!" Oh buy the way Farve liked Him so much he considered retiring from football when Green Bay Fired Him!

I like it, Regis!
alwaysmaroon
AG
Jason Garrett. Cowboys' qb coach. Was Aikmen's backup. He knows offense.
wreckitnow
Whoever made that Jesus comment was out of line.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Head Coach- God
Offensive Coordinator- Jesus
Defensive Coordinator- Moses
ontheway
AG
Spurrier
Bucky reborn
Briles played at UH.
KnowitallAggie
Mark Richt - Georgia
Aggienk
Richt is 1-5 vs. Florida, 1-2 vs. Ron Zook.
He's a great coach but far from a dream hire with those numbers. Even UGA fans wonder if he's right for them, despite his very good record there.
4th and Inches
AG

[This message has been edited by 4th and Inches (edited 10/15/2007 11:30p).]
crisarRaider
I think you guys could pluck Todd Dodge from North Texas
swampstander
AG
Ron Meeks, It all starts with D
Blue Bell Park
I agree, Briles would be great at A&M....Consolidated.

Seriously, his name even being mentioned is beyond ridiculous.
oldag2001
Lamarr - funny sh** man
houstontexan
good to see everyone playing the (insert great former player here) coaching (insert great former player's position or side of the ball here).

so gay.
Oh Doctor!
AG
If we're talkin' pipe dreams I would take Nick Saban at the drop of a hat. Best coach in America.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.