Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Would You Take Applewhite?

11,805 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by texd
BigPete259
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wahoo! I finally have someone on texags I dont like. That was a long streak. Always got to be some smart ass who comments on irrelevant things. AggieBB you sir, I dont like!
EagleAg
AG
Applewhite has actually been one of my favorite players in college football. He was always very smart and knew how to get things done. I don't care where the coach is from, just a matter of the dedication and know how.
EagleAg
AG
Applewhite has actually been one of my favorite players in college football. He was always very smart and knew how to get things done. I don't care where the coach is from, just a matter of the dedication and know how.
BigPete259
I think Applewhite needs a stache!
doc96
AG
No way. We need someone who will love A&M and hate t.u. I especially wouldn't want him if he does a good job and then goes to succeed Maciii
wheelz
AG
tedford is a take. oregon's coach is a take. applesauce is a take.
BigPete259
Didnt know this but he grew up a bama fan and didnt go there only cause he wasnt offered scholarship.

"He might even decide to stay with them for more than one season. Here's one clue: He and Julie, having rented in Syracuse and Houston, just bought their first home. And here's another: As Applewhite put it, "I told one of my coaching buddies the other day, 'I'm tired of installing an offense. I want to go into a spring and tweak.'"

Maybe no go on Applewhite So in 1 hour we have hired and fired Major Applewhite...awesome
shulaball
http://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=8000&ATCLID=788859

You Aggies should tune into ESPN Saturday night around 6:45 pm to see him in action...
Hellraiser97
Darnell sucked as a DC at UT as well. He had a couple decent years at Western Michigan as a HC (Still can't believe anyone hired him as a HC after his stint at Texas).

There was a reason we were all laughing up a storm when you guys hired _arnell!

Hook 'Em Horns

Hellraiser97

--

"Ya'll can go to Hell, I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS" -- Davy Crockett
jay07ag
AG
I played under Major Applewhite for a year at UT before Transfering to A&M to finish my education....absolute class guy and a pleasure to work with
shulaball
BTW he is named after former BAMA running back Major Ogilvie if that tells you anything
bassale47
Applewhite's dream job is to be the head coach at Alabama. At the age of 28, he's got the next best thing (offensive coordinator). There are plenty of rumblings about him taking over for Mack, but I don't think that happens unless Saban sticks around for too long, which he isn't prone to do. And if the Bama job opens up before the Texas job does, Applewhite will never coach in Austin.
huisache
Re applewhite's future: most Texas fans want Major to be our next HC.

In this light, it is interesting to note that in Mack Brown's latest contract extension/raise there is a provision that Mack gets to decide when he gets to get bumped upstairs AT THE SAME SALARY he gets as coach.

Thus, whenever Mack decides the time is right, he gets to go up. After another two or three seasons of 2-3 losses will he be tired of putting up with the press and the insane alumnae?

My guess is that Major is Texas' head coach by age 32.
kag2520
AG
HC - Sherrill
OC - Bob Toldeo
DC - Richard "the truth" Cokeland Slocum
p-wonk01
AG
Hey always got the short end of the stick over there because of golden boy, but he was a hell fo a player. I still think ut would have gotten a championship then if he would have started.
agent-maroon
AG
MA would likely be a reasonable choice after a year or two learning under Saban. But if we did somehow managed to hire him, I suspect he would just be biding his time to go "Bear Bryant" on us at the first opportunity...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BusterAg
AG
honestly,

why would Applewhite leave bama for an OC position.

I am not ready to ask him to be a HC.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
How 'bout Johnny Holland. Currently the linebackers coach under Kubiak at Houston.

I was wondering whatever happened to him the other day. Didn't know this.
BigPete259
you arent ready? Guys, I think we found the idendity of BB!
PooDoo
AG
You know, Applewhite would probably be able to recruit against Mack Brown better than anyone in the nation.

Sign with Mack and lose your starting job when the next new recruit comes into town.
franwagon driver
You guys are delusional. The statement that Major was looking to "try to get an interview" at A&M is stupid. Major has ZERO interest in this program and had a great offer from Saban at Bama. Why in the heck would he come here? Just silly.
franwagon driver
The other thing is that if you know Major's own personal story, he was screwed over by RC during his recruiting process...it was only because of RC's dishonesty over the OC position at that time that led Major to call John Mackovic
hamhorn
If I had to bet right now, I'd say that the next head coach (in about ten years) at The University of Texas will be Major Applewhite.
MaxPower
Different coach. Offer the guy a HC job and he can't turn it down. Its a major opportunity for an up and comer.

If he does want to go to Bama or tu as HC then we would be a great place for him to prove himself. If he gives us a great 3 or 4 years then wants to bolt then at least we got 3 or 4 great years. That's more than I can say from the current group of "coaches"....
shulaball
quote:
had a great offer from Saban at Bama

Also just fyi, back in the first days of January '07 Saban initially went after Jimbo Fisher (LSU) but Fisher took an offer to become OC at FSU under Bowden. LSU then interviewed Applewhite who was offered the LSU OC job to replace Fisher. At the same time Saban approached Applewhite about coming to BAMA and well we all know what happened next.

[This message has been edited by shulaball (edited 9/21/2007 10:53a).]
rscharnell
if you want to see your next coach just watch the OU game tonight...hint, he will be on the Tulsa side line

FJB
AG
I'm done with sips on the staff in any capacity. That includes nutrionists.
texd
quote:
if you want to see your next coach just watch the OU game tonight...hint, he will be on the Tulsa side line

Have fun with that. He's a former defensive coordinator whose defenses leak like sieves but who's pretty good at hiring OCs. The guy is 9-7 all time as a HC.

My advice: bring him in for an interview, during the interview ask who he has in mind as a potential OC, and then go hire one of the guys he names.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.