Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bronzed sabre presented to Greg Hood during SMU halftime

29,129 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by
TMan86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This comes up about every 6 months and it kind of bugs me, but this thread has caused me to respond for the first time because of the ill comments towards Greg.

I have been an Aggie for longer than most of you have been alive. The only time someone throws this in our face is on these silly boards...big deal. SMU had the rubber sabres for a few years, just like we used to jingle car keys in front of them in reference to the cars for play program that they ran...big deal.

I was a friend of Greg's then and now. I am very happy to say that Greg is a fine, christian man and is quite successful. And no, he has not changed his name and moved overseas. Why should he? He is also 100% Aggie and I am proud to know him. He made a impulse mistake that unfortunately was broadcast. I know that I have made far worse impulse decisions that I was lucky enough not to have broadcast to the public. I am 100% confident that each of you have a mistake that you wish you had not done and are fortunate it isn't out there for public consumption. Think about it.

Greg paid a heavy price for one action as a 20 year old. So why the hate? If you knew this Aggie, I am sure that you would be glad to have him as a friend. If you still feel like he has somehow caused you harm and feel the need to disparage him, then you are no Aggie at all.
rwtxag83
AG
Exactly, tman
Aggie Spirit
AG
Perhaps if folks would quit trying to glorify the event that led to Greg's expulsion from the Cadet Corps and suspension from the university through historical revisionism, then this would just die.
Office Linebacker
quote:
Do you bronze stuff that's already made outta metal

Reminds me of an old aggie joke, did you hear about the aggie who was so proud of his gold medal he won at the olympics, that he had it bronzed.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
I would've given the guy a job if he had skewered Dickerson, then James and then McIlhenny.
BurntOrangeAndBlue
Added to Torcano's point, your belief must be reasonable that you're in danger. There is something of an objective standard there.

quote:
It could be argued that is necessary...He had allready been assualted once and he was surrounded by the smu cheerleaders, how was he to know he wouldn't be assualted again?

I'm betting he didn't believe he was going to be killed in broad daylight in front of 70,000 fans. Threatening deadly retaliation seems a bit much.

But if those SMU cheerleaders pushed him, that was way over the line in terms of respect for the corps of cadets.

By the way, I've seen the pic and heard part of the story many times but I've never heard how this ended or what happened to the cadet after the incident.

Edit--Aggie Spirit cleared up some of this. . .

But how did this really end on the field?

[This message has been edited by BurntOrangeAndBlue (edited 6/10/2005 6:35p).]

[This message has been edited by BurntOrangeAndBlue (edited 6/10/2005 6:43p).]
3 Toed Pete
AG
After SMU scored, Billy Cannon was heading back to the goaline to receive the ensuing kickoff (hard to believe we had a 220 lb linebacker returning kicks). It was Cannon who ran over and stepped between Hood and the cheerleader.
BurntOrangeAndBlue
Did they have to drag him off the field or something or did he realize his mistake?

I think pulling the sword is an overreaction, but messing with a guy in uniform like that as a cheerleader when A&M takes so much pride in its corps (which produces quite a few officers for our military) puts the guy in a bad spot.

Maybe he (Hood) shouldn't have been there in the first place, but it seems the more respectable course of action would be to treat they guy the same way you would treat the students at the service academies (the ones that stand on the field in uniform).
TXAGFAN
AG

[This message has been edited by aggiedave05 (edited 6/10/2005 9:50p).]
BurntOrangeAndBlue
In what way am I instigating an argument with anyone?

I'm actually taking up for Hood--or at least calling out what I see as a sign of disrespect by the SMU cheerleaders.

He probably stepped over the line pulling the sword, but the SMU cheerleaders were way out of line in needling the guy in the first place.

A lot of folks make fun of you guys for the corps and the band what with the Nazi references and all.

That isn't my style.

I'm not an Aggie, but that stuff p*sses me off.

As I understand it A&M's corps supplies our armed forces with more officers than any institution of higher learning other than the service academies. That means the guys some folks find so funny and mock end up serving our country.

If you knew me personally you'd know that I would and have called out folks I've seen poking fun at the corps. Based on the story as I understand it, the SMU cheerleaders that day have as much to be ashamed of as anyone.

[This message has been edited by BurntOrangeAndBlue (edited 6/10/2005 8:21p).]
Aggie1205
AG
You are all wrong, CU@Kyle told me just the other day that it was Buckley that drew his saber. Hood wasn't even there.
NE PA Ag
It's funny how this comes up so often, nearly 24 years after it happened. Between some of the people who posted here and were eye witnesses to the event, they got it mostly right.

I was a high school senior, already accepted to A&M and at the game on a school trip, sitting in the horseshoe, watching my Aggies get whipped by the pony express (Dickerson and James, but they had a good team then).

It was late in the game and SMU scored again. I think the final score was 27-7 or something. Anyway, the SMU cheerleaders ran onto the endzone in front of the old horseshoe and laid down to spell SMU. Hood ran over and yelled at them, then he kicked at one of them. I don't recall if he actually made contact or not, but he wasn't exactly putting all his strength into it or anything.

At that point the cheerleaders started to jump up. One of them got behind Hood and as another poster stated, another cheerleader pulled the old schoolyard trick and pushed him over the guy laying behind him.

I'll never forget what happened next. Hood kind of did a backwards roll and as he was coming to his feet he drew his sabre, all in one motion. He took about 2 steps forward and brandished the sabre, but was no closer than 4 or 5 feet away. I recall other OD's or maybe a yell leader running up at this point and pulling him away, but my memory is a little hazy on that point.

Another poster said it was Billy Cannon Jr. that broke it up. That may be what happened, but given Cannon's shall we say hostile personality (which I personally witnessed away from the gridiron a couple of times), I would have to believe that he was more likely to start pummeling someone rather than breaking up the situation.
3 Toed Pete
AG
NY...Your account of that incident seems pretty dead on from what I remember. And you are correct about Cannon's temperment in general. But as I remember it, it was Cannon that stepped in front of Hood (but it was a long time ago).
Bock for Breakfast
AG
FWIW, I wish Hood would have just left his sabre alone and punched the dude in the nose.
RK
AG
agreed, a straight ass-whoopin' would have allsome....but i kind of enjoy the story the way it is (though it was an unfortunate situation).
SteveBott
AG
I am total agreement with TMan86. I also knew Greg in school and though I was not a friend, so to speak, he was a very nice guy and represented A&M and the Corp well, except for one very publicized mistake. He took his punishment like a man then, and should not be taking this twice annual Texags abuse now.

I was at the game, but was on the other side of the stadium and did not see much, but I spoke with Greg after it all shook out, and he paid his dues at the time. You people need to remember he was 20 years old. Hell most of you are still 20 years old. I hope the best for Greg and next time one of these threads come up, I will make it my mission to get it deleted. Enough is enough.
MightyKC
AG

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/12/2005 6:36a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.