Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Weigman vs Reed 2024 Stats

2,645 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by cevans_40
Aggie Michael
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both QBs have played three games:

Marcel Reed:
ESPN Rating: 141.7
Passing Yards: 585
Rushing Yards: 226
Total Yards: 811
Total TDs: 8
Total Turnovers: 0
Wins: Arkansas (Neutral site), Bowling Green (Home), Florida (Away)
Losses: 0

Connor Weigman:
ESPN Rating: 129.8
Passing Yards: 501
Rushing Yards: 98
Total Yards: 599
Total TDs: 2
Total Turnovers: 2
Wins: McNeese (Home), Missouri (Home)
Losses: Notre Dame (Home)

It's key to mention Weigman only played home games though he played the best two teams on the schedule (ND/Missouri both remain the only ranked teams). He also played the weakest by far in McNeese. Reed only played one game at home. I rank the strength of schedule as a wash but that is debatable based on how your perceive the home field advantage and the strength of the teams.

Who is the better QB?

The stats favor Marcel Reed as the better QB if you look at his 3 game performance (especially being 3-0 as a starter with zero turnovers). He is also younger and less experienced so you could argue for the potential of a higher ceiling by season end. Weigman is a veteran in his third year and did have his best game of his career (unfortunately no TDs in that game). He could have momentum and the needed confidence going forward. The question is how good would he be in an away game or with pressure (he had plenty of time in the Missouri game)? Time will tell.

Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Good Lord, we're still doing this?
PyriteAg
AG
I don't think it's accurate to determine who's better based on overall stats considering how inconsistent both have been throughout the season.

Context is more important IMO. Weigman was absolutely terrible in his first game but clearly got better once his injury healed up. He's been the starter from day 1 also, so the offense is most likely designed around him. Meanwhile, Reed was great in the Florida game but his shine started to wear off as games went on. Him being a freshman and not having the offense designed around him probably hold him back a lot.

Better to go with Weigman for this season (and maybe next year if he stays) and hope Reed improves as he matures.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i think what this reflects is we have two good qbs. weigman is healthy and played fantastic against mizzou so it's his team for now but if any thing happens we have a great backup in marcell reed.
Goldie Wilson
Weigman against Mizzou > Reed > Weigman against ND
PeekingDuck
AG
They are both serviceable so far, but not great. We're a running team with a solid defense. I'm honestly not sure it matters that much.
Magpie
Those comparisons are extremely interesting. Marcel is a good QB and will only get better. I do think that HC and OC know of these facts and have incorporated them into their decision. So far, one cannot argue with the Missouri game decision. Weigman played the best game of his life. And we won, of course, so the consequence of their decision is 1-0.
You may be through with the past, but the past may not be through with you...
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
Goldie Wilson said:

THIS
PyriteAg
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

This reminds me of the Mond days.

"If X Mond shows up instead of the Y Mond, then we'll win this game!"
ElephantRider
AG
Weigman against Mizzou was significantly better than Reed has been at any point this season. Probably better than Reed is capable of being, honestly.
ElephantRider
AG
PyriteAg said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Dr. Kellen and Mr. Mond
Aggie Michael
AG
That's fair. It's the tale of two Weigmans. Is the Missouri Weigman a one-off performance or is that the real Weigman? Miss St should make him look good stat wise with their porous defense (hopefully sustain his confidence) while LSU will be the first true test (fortunately another home field advantage).

I hope the Missouri performance is the real deal but I remain skeptical until he proves it one way or the other. I focus on the results, scoreboard and the stats.
greg.w.h
AG
Armchair coaching at its best!!! OP left out Attempts/completion and given ESPN sponsors QBR and it has a proprietary calc what is the distinct ESPN rating that goes higher that QBR max of 100? If it is just passer rating it sounds high for Marcel.
alain moses
Here's some observations on these stats

1. Marcel Reed 14 quarters vs weigman 10 quarters. Total yard analysis is not 1 to 1
2. Should we penalize Weigman for 0 pass TD / 5 rush TD against mizzou?

We have two pretty good qbs but let's start weigman if he's healthy
theJonatron
AG
Weigman throws better downfield. That opens the playbook more, which gives us a better chance of winning, but as long as Weigman is not having an off game.

Reid is more consistent IMO but he's going to be number 2 until he can consistently throw down the field to open guys.

After the adjustments our staff has made this year, I trust them. Let's go Ags!
Medaggie
I trust the coaches and I believe they have the same thinking I have.

Current CW is the better QB and his ceiling is higher right now. He had a very efficient game against missouri but if your running backs are getting almost 7 yards a carry and 240 yards, there will be many open receivers as they have to sell out for the run.

Reed would have had similar stats overall against missouri but less passing yards and much more running yards.

I really think Reed has the higher upside for the college game. When you have a running QB who can make average throws consistently, it puts alot of pressure on the defense. In the Pros CW prob is the better prospect.

I hope but not confident that we will keep both QBs for next year, and I hope it is Reed because he has a higher ceiling as a college QB plus he has 3 years left.
vander54
S
Youre missing one very important fact. How did our offense look with the two of them in games. ND was the only bad game for Weigman but we only looked good with Reed against Florida.

Weigman is QB1
World's worst proofreader
vander54
S
Absolutely no way to say for sure Reed would have done statistically as well as Weigman against Missouri. I actual thing he would have been worse because he's way more 1 deminsional. He doesnt have a good deep ball and is bad outsode the numbers. He's much easier to defend against than Weigman.
Bogey1996
I just look at how the offense looked the past two games. Against Arkansas, the offense looked like hot garbage for most of the game. The offense looked great in all aspects against Missouri
OMB100GAS
AG
We've been over this 12 times

Reed also played McKneese and ran with the ones and mckneese was tired and losing badly already. He underperformed compared to CW with an injury

Then you saw a healthy CW against Mizzou and you decided to post this? Dumb
ElephantRider
AG
Medaggie said:

I trust the coaches and I believe they have the same thinking I have.

Current CW is the better QB and his ceiling is higher right now. He had a very efficient game against missouri but if your running backs are getting almost 7 yards a carry and 240 yards, there will be many open receivers as they have to sell out for the run.

Reed would have had similar stats overall against missouri but less passing yards and much more running yards.

I really think Reed has the higher upside for the college game. When you have a running QB who can make average throws consistently, it puts alot of pressure on the defense. In the Pros CW prob is the better prospect.

I hope but not confident that we will keep both QBs for next year, and I hope it is Reed because he has a higher ceiling as a college QB plus he has 3 years left.
Disagree on Reed having a higher ceiling. Yes, he's a better runner, but Weigman is on another level as a passer (when he's dialed in). Reed struggled and missed quite a few easy throws against BG and Arky. Offense was also extremely watered down with Reed. When it's simplified that much, defenses figure things out pretty quickly.
Magpie
But given the results, the scoreboard, and the stats, and the information contexts in which the coaches' appraisal of those facts weight the decision, we do not have an unequivocal yes or no in the Reed-Weigman "debate." Apparently, the UM HC was convinced by logic such as yours that Reed would start.

But Elko made the other choice. And he knows much more about the two QBs than stats may indicate. We just know that his was a successful decision relative to the objective of winning a football game, and with some style points as well. Weigman looked smooth and confident. That was something Jimbo commented on last year: he LOOKS more like a QB than any others on our team. And it's true.
You may be through with the past, but the past may not be through with you...
agmeister
S
Let's agree that Elko would choose the best QB for us to win. Connor is QB1.
GrayMatter
AG
Connor makes the defense honest because they can't stack the box. Marcel does not have the same passing ability than Conner, but the experience that Marcel got while Connor was out is invaluable and he'll be a better player, in case, you know....
Trigon Jin
I'm coming up with 514 total passing yrds for Reed.

Reed has also not thrown for over 200yrds in a single game this season, and CW just threw for 276 against Missouri...which is the kind of Stat any QB of a current top 10 program is going to have.

I don't think the data the OP provided say anything about anything...

AG
Aggie Michael said:

Both QBs have played three games

Wrong.

Weigman has played 2.5

Reed has played 3.5 games

Reed has played a whole game more than Weigman
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Those comparisons are very interesting. Marcel Reed is a good QB and will only get better, but I think Mike Elko and Colin Klein went back to Conner Weigman because he is more accurate than Reed. Because Weigman played the best game of his collegiate career against Missouri, we dominated Missouri from start to finish. These next 3 games against Mississippi State (away), LSU (home), and South Carolina (away) will indicate how good Weigman can be, especially in road games.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Trigon Jin said:

I'm coming up with 514 total passing yrds for Reed.

Reed has also not thrown for over 200yrds in a single game this season, and CW just threw for 276 against Missouri...which is the kind of Stat any QB of a current top 10 program is going to have.

I don't think the data the OP provided say anything about anything...

Doesn't matter how many yards a QB throws for during a game....... ONLY POINTS !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
vander54
S
4 said:

Aggie Michael said:

Both QBs have played three games

Wrong.

Weigman has played 2.5

Reed has played 3.5 games

Reed has played a whole game more than Weigman

Good point
RUGuys4Real
Aggie Michael said:

That's fair. It's the tale of two Weigmans. Is the Missouri Weigman a one-off performance or is that the real Weigman? Miss St should make him look good stat wise with their porous defense (hopefully sustain his confidence) while LSU will be the first true test (fortunately another home field advantage).

I hope the Missouri performance is the real deal but I remain skeptical until he proves it one way or the other. I focus on the results, scoreboard and the stats.
Did you consider Conner's first game, against LSU, a true test?
Which is the better TD, QB handing off to RB or QB throwing to WR?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Weigman played less of the mcneese game than Reed did but led the offense to 5 straight touchdowns.

The offense did much worse once Reed came in but that could be for a myriad of reasons.

The point is… stats don't tell the whole picture.
Just look at the Mizzou game, Weigman had huge passing numbers but zero TDs because we ran the ball in every time we got near the end zone. He could have easily had 4 TD passes in that game if different red zone play calling was used.
RUGuys4Real
PyriteAg said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Reminds me of just how utterly stupid the American People are!!!
I'm a fan of "Please don't vote!"
NoahAg
Weigman is the better option. Not even close.
AggieTarheel
AG
Mizz is his best game... this year. It's hard to quantify just how well he played the last two years with that OL play. If you're still saying it should be Reed, you must be blind. Our Offense was completely different with him in. You're also not factoring in how safe we played in the second half.
cevans_40
AG
PyriteAg said:

Goldie Wilson said:

Except for Y Weigman has shown up once. Ever
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.