Story Poster
Photo by Kay Naegeli, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

McGee & Swope discuss A&M's keys to maintaining success vs. State

October 17, 2024

Our favorite former player duo, Stephen McGee and Ryan Swope, was back in studio on Thursday morning's edition of TexAgs Live. The quarterback-receiver combo shared their takes on the most improved position group, what the rest of the year could look like and more.

Key notes from Stephen McGee interview

• One Direction... Never heard of the band or their songs. Apparently, they are uber-famous. The younger generation here at TexAgs thought it was crazy we had not heard of One Direction. 

• I listen to a little Bad Bunny to honor you, David. I can’t say I love it. I still listen to a lot of George Strait and Alan Jackson. Chris Stapleton, too.

• The most obvious improvement has been this wide receiver group. They have shown up, especially Noah Thomas and Jahdae Walker. I think that’s the most pivotal change. The ability at the quarterback position never concerned me. 

• We can find a way to win with these guys. I don't know how good Le’Veon Moss would be. I am very optimistic.

• My eyes will be squarely focused on the wide receivers. I don't think Mississippi State is a pushover. Looking at the gauntlet we have left, especially LSU and Texas, they can put up numbers. I don't think we can just get it done by running the football.

• You have heard Mike Elko say this, “We will be a great football team by winning the line of scrimmage.” Maybe the biggest turnaround has been the offensive line and protecting the quarterback. These guys are getting it done. Great football teams start up front. You can't win in current-day college football or in the NFL without a great quarterback, but it's hard to have an elite quarterback without a great offensive line. 

• Against LSU, it will take more than great quarterback play. I love Will Lee III at corner. I am still concerned about the backend. The big plays scare me with LSU. I like Garrett Nussmeier, and Kyren Lacy is a playmaker. If we just get great quarterback play, are we good enough to beat LSU? Yeah, but it depends on how LSU plays.

• Buy, Sell, Lease: 4-2 teams that will get to seven wins or more: Oklahoma, South Carolina and Arkansas? I’ve heard good things about South Carolina. My concern with Arkansas is they have a great defense, but I don't like the quarterback situation. I am buying South Carolina, leasing Arkansas and selling Oklahoma.

• Start out running the football. Running the football late in games. One thing I love is that Collin Klein doesn't really let these guys substitute a lot. They want the defense not to be able to sub. These guys get worn out. I am excited about this run game.

• Mississippi State is not a great football team. I don't care who you play in the SEC. Don't overlook them.

• I think about efficiency. At worse, you are putting together first downs before you punt and then scoring points. That's a hard offense to stop because you are not getting possession.

• There is a lot of football to be played from now until the Texas game. One thing I am convinced of is Mike Elko is the right guy for our program. I believe he will hold them accountable. I promise you he has them convinced that the State will kick their tail. That's what good coaches do. They don’t let you get comfortable. You don’t want to be the football team that peaks in Week 5. You want to peak in Week 12. It’s all about getting hot late. 

• I love the fact that we could be a one-loss team against Texas. I think we have along way to go before we get there.

• Vanderbilt is fun to watch. Diego Pavia is a problem. 

• I think the Florida win is much bigger than people give us credit for. Arkansas, too. On the road to Florida with a team that was on the ropes. I remember thinking at that point, “Will we get to seven wins this year?” Graham Mertz was a good quarterback. If he played that full game, it’s a different football game. 

• Don’t turn the football over. You win the turnover battle, your chances of winning the game... It’s momentum. Possessions matter. Protect the football.

Key notes from Ryan Swope interview

• I have seen progress. Noah Thomas is playing a lot better. He has become the go-to guy. Walker has been showing up and making plays. I think we could be better. I am ready for a guy to have ten grabs, 150 yards and a couple “tuds.” The kids say that now. 

• We have struggled with the Mississippi schools. 

• We played Dak Prescott. It was a great environment. Cowbells were ringing. That was the first time we wore the black uniform and black helmet. 

• We have to go in there, that first drive is important. You have put the ball in the redzone. Once you do that, you get comfortable.

• I am excited about how we are controlling the line of scrimmage. It opens so much up in your offense. If we can continue to do that, we will be hard to beat. 

• I am optimistic and I feel confident about our players and coaching staff. You have to focus on the task at hand.

• We learned a lot in the Notre Dame game. I would rather lose that game because I think Elko used it as momentum. They built off that. You look back and say, “It was probably helpful that we went through that.” I would rather it be then than now.
Discussion from...

McGee & Swope discuss A&M's keys to maintaining success vs. State

1,488 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by David Nuño
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.