Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Miss State rely on big punches

3,544 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Texas Yarddog
HTownMan87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Their best hope is to land enough deep balls against our secondary to try and pull off the upset. Similar to the plan against Georgia. Most everything else on offense will just be to try and setup another deep-throw. Missouri should have landed a few more on us, but shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Secondary better be ready to play, because MS is def going to be slinging long bombs. I think they will try to negate our pass rush enough by mixing up protections for deepshots and chipping with backs.

If their QB gets in a rhythm, Elko will be needed to shove him. See Georgia.
NyAggie
AG
They can try to sling bombs but I don't think their line will give them enough time against our front to do that consistently

TX_Aggie37
AG
HTownMan87 said:

Their best hope is to land enough deep balls against our secondary to try and pull off the upset. Similar to the plan against Georgia. Most everything else on offense will just be to try and setup another deep-throw. Missouri should have landed a few more on us, but shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Secondary better be ready to play, because MS is def going to be slinging long bombs. I think they will try to negate our pass rush enough by mixing up protections for deepshots and chipping with backs.

If their QB gets in a rhythm, Elko will be needed to shove him. See Georgia.
I sure hope they try and mix up their protections rather than let the front dictate the protection. That's a sure fire way to guarantee we get to the QB.
Faustus
It looked more like elbow strikes and clinches to me.

They're No. 107 in average penalties per game, so there are probably some attempted knees to the groin in there too.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game
taylorswift13_
Our defense will force at least 3 turnovers
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
mike elko defense vs freshman qb

i am going with mike elko
Not Coach Jimbo
Our secondary is suspect, if we can improve on busted coverages this would be a non issue... but very tired of seeing opposing receivers running wide open while a db points the finger.
Sweating BulletS
Strip sack and a scoop and score.
Gunny456
AG
If they have time to throw those deep balls my fear is our secondary will have a plethora of pass interference calls. Our guys rarely turn around to look for the ball.
A bunch of PI's like that can sap the lifeblood out of you really quick.
amercer
AG
We give up some big plays. It's what cost us the ND game and kept other games close.

Overall our defense is good, but if you make great plays 90% of the time, and the other 10% you give up a TD, you are going to lose.

Need to be consistently good on D and we will go far
bloodhound
AG
Have to keep their quarterback in the pocket. He hits those big throws when he scrambles outside the pocket and gives his receivers time to get open.
halfastros81
AG
Turnovers cost us the Notre Dame game imo. Defense played well enough to win the game.
KatyAggie2000
AG
They are not built for 10 play 80 yard drives. Their offense needs to get chunk plays. We need to make the QB throw from the pocket (ends can't get too deep). If we can get pressure consistently with 4 they are cooked. Our secondary must play smart and not give them free first downs via interference/holding. We do the above it won't be close. Their run and pass D are worst in the conference. We should be looking to score every possession.

But we make a few costly mistakes and turn the ball over, who knows. Their record doesn't define their fight. I know that.
jturner181
AG
NyAggie said:

They can try to sling bombs but I don't think their line will give them enough time against our front to do that consistently

Precisely... they will have 2 - 2.5 seconds to get the ball out. Tom Brady would have no problem with that... but a frosh QB may well indeed.
jturner181
AG
halfastros81 said:

Turnovers cost us the Notre Dame game imo. Defense played well enough to win the game.

Something tells me we may get another shot at Notre Dame
AgLA06
AG
Not Coach Jimbo said:

Our secondary is suspect, if we can improve on busted coverages this would be a non issue... but very tired of seeing opposing receivers running wide open while a db points the finger.

Top 50 passing defense says otherwise.
AgLA06
AG
Gunny456 said:

If they have time to throw those deep balls my fear is our secondary will have a plethora of pass interference calls. Our guys rarely turn around to look for the ball.
A bunch of PI's like that can sap the lifeblood out of you really quick.

Can they consistently get the other 50 yards per drive needed to score even if they get 2 per drive?
AgLA06
AG
jturner181 said:

halfastros81 said:

Something tells me we may get another shot at Notre Dame

I think ND loses to at least one of the service academies.
Faustus
Is there a link to the Bulldogs relying on explosive plays more so than other teams? If I had to guess based on the Bulldog's record I would say they are bottom quarter of the SEC through six games.

Their best chance of victory is to hope for turnovers by A&M. Winning the turnover battle with Georgia made the score seem closer than the game actually was. Since you guys only have 3 turnovers half way through the season (5 is the all time record at any level of collegiate football) that's an unlikely prayer to be answered.
usmcbrooks
Not Coach Jimbo said:

Blanket says Hi!
StinkyPinky
AG
halfastros81 said:

Man would love that do over...
StinkyPinky
AG
usmcbrooks said:

Not Coach Jimbo said:

Blanket says Hi!
I hope I'm wrong, but Blanket could really struggle vs elite receivers/QBs. Time will tell.
Faustus
halfastros81 said:

No doubt. Two turnovers to none by Notre Dame. A&M has 1 turnover (a fumble) in the five games since. It's hard to overstate how elite that is.

Army only has one turnover this season so far, which is pretty fun. It's basically unwatchable football for James Harden.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/29
Texas Yarddog
AG
jturner181 said:

NyAggie said:

Precisely... they will have 2 - 2.5 seconds to get the ball out. Tom Brady would have no problem with that... but a frosh QB may well indeed.

Hit him hard, early, and often. Get in his head and force mistakes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.