Story Poster
Mike Elko
Jay Bateman
Collin Klein
Texas A&M Football

Press Conference: Elko & Co. enter bye week on a five-game win streak

October 7, 2024

After six straight weeks of games to open the 2024 campaign, No. 15 Texas A&M enters its first bye with a 5-1 record. On Monday afternoon, Mike Elko, Jay Bateman and Jay Bateman addressed the media with the Aggies facing an open date.

The following are live, paraphrased notes from the Monday afternoon media availability:

Mike Elko

• Recapping the Missouri game, players of the week were Trey Zuhn III and Conner Weigman and a shoutout to Le’Veon Moss as well. Defensively, Albert Regis and Rodas Johnson. Player of the game was Nic Scourton. Our special teams player of the week was Rylen Kennedy. He is a talented player and has taken his role and impacted the game. He continues to force us to find ways to utilize him. Tyler White was the SEC Special Teams Player of the Week.

• Offensively, I thought we started sharp. Four straight scoring possessions to open the game. Five of six times, we have scored on the opening possession. Ten different players caught passes. Noah Thomas, Jahdae Walker and Terry Bussey had explosive plays. Good to see Jabre Barber’s role enhance. Another positive step for us.

• We held a potent passing offense to 13-for-31 for 186 yards.

• I am happy with what we did, and I am happy with where we are. To win at 11 a.m. going into a bye week, it gives you at least five hours to celebrate it.

• The offensive line is a really talented group. They have taken pride in their performance and becoming the lifeblood of this program. We had confidence in what that group could do. You never know until you know.

• Marcel Reed took the news he wasn’t starting like a competitor. He wants to be the starting QB. He wants to win and be a great competitor. He will continue to be ready if his number is needed and called.

• You are trying to continue to push this thing forward. The thing I am most happy about is we are understanding what a winning mentality looks like.

• The bye week is trying to get some rest and recover. That’s important after six games. We will give them off on Friday and Saturday. The focus will be on ourselves. We will do some good on good work.

• We start our red zone plan on Monday. Collin Klein has a good feel of how to create things. 

• It’s Jay Bateman’s game. He is the DC. For everything successfully we do on defense, he is running the show. I have ideas that we can influx in.

• In terms of keeping this thing moving forward, the longer your goals stay ahead of you, that keeps the kid’s attention. I don't know if it gets easier to focus on the moment. When the season goes off the rails, there are other challenges to get the team motivated.

• The conversation with us was about wanting to see Conner Weigman at 100 percent. Conner at 100 percent would give us the best chance to win. We went into practice trying to discern that. We felt like, at the end of the week, that was the way to go. 

• I made Conner come into my office and convince me that he was ready. We had a conversation on Thursday afternoon, and that was the final piece I was looking for.

• That was a great play by Terry Bussey, preventing the interception. He is growing every day into a technically sound football player. He knows that. That is his drive and work. It’s great to find him different way to get him the ball.

• Ar’maj Reed Adams is fine. TJ Shanahan, we hope to have back this week or at the latest, next week. Outside of that, we are in a really good spot. *Knocks on wood*

• In some ways, there was going to be some learning that had to happen in the secondary. As they start to get more comfortable playing with each other, they will continue to grow. It’s a versatile and talented group, playing a pretty good clip right now. 

Jay Bateman

• I think we have improved and have a better understanding of what we want to do, especially in the run-fit structure. I have been pleased with how the backend has come along, too. We have made good progress in the last few weeks. 

• Will Lee III is a really talented kid. I was talking to Jordan Peterson about him today. He is playing with a lot of confidence right now. We ask him to play a lot of man coverage. He understands football, with downs and distance. He is playing at a really high level. 

• Shemar Stewart and Nic Scourton are problems on the edge in the run game. The problem is they can't play the entire game. The depth at defensive tackle has developed. I thought Rodas Johnson played great on Saturday. In the run game, we have been able to isolate some 1-on-1s.

• The time away because of the targeting calls hurt Dalton Brooks. You talk about an eraser. Every NFL scout asks about him when they come through here. He is doing a really good job for us. 

• I am really proud of BJ Mayes. We went to him after Tyreek Chappell got injured, and he has really embraced the role at nickel. Jaydon Hill has been with me for a while. He is a guy that I trust. Tyreek is a special player. The things we built into the defense were when Tyreek was supposed to be out there. We had to adjust pretty quickly, and I'm proud of Mayes and Hill.

• The long touchdown against Notre Dame was a missed tackle. We took that and learned from it.

• Dezz Ricks is really talented. Jayvon Thomas was playing great. The bye week is coming at a good time for him. Dezz has worked really hard, and he has a lot of ability. 

• Rodas Johnson has really come along. A veteran player who is used to playing a different style. Albert Regis is playing at as high of a level as many of our guys. Dalton Brooks has made improvements, and how much importance he has had in the run game. 

• My family is so fortunate to be here. The schools are awesome. Playing defense at Kyle Field is awesome. This place likes defense. When you are in the press box, you don't realize how loud it is. The players I get to coach here, how they come to work and how they come to play, I am humbled. 

Collin Klein

• Conner has worked extremely hard to back physically. Marcel started some games for us and did a nice job. Both have done a good job preparation-wise. We have all learned a lot about each other.

• I think we have seen more zone coverage in the last couple of games. I am proud of that tight end room. Theo Melin Öhrström has made some big plays, and Tre Waston as well. Have made some great strides, and it will be fun to see how they evolve. 

• Terry Bussey is an incredible young man. How he comes to work every day... He is up in the office extra, trying to learn and grow. He has a great skillset. Watching his maturation as a route runner and with coach Holmon Wiggins has been fun to watch.

• Ten guys catching the ball is a credit to the entire group. That is part of what is and what will make us hard to defend. 

• I think the biggest thing collectively has been what our guys up front have been able to do. Establishing running the football gives us a level of attack mode and physicality. We have been able to play off it. That breeds consistency. I still believe we have some of our best games ahead of us. 

• It is truly a process-based mindset. Realizing we are still a work in progress. We have been able to stack wins and good weeks on top of each other... I got to watch some other games on Saturday. If you let up for one second, it doesn't matter when or where you play. You are in jeopardy.

• You talk about a rollercoaster of emotions for both quarterbacks. I was proud of Conner’s maturity. He put his head down, got healthy and blocked everything out. There was not a happier guy than Conner when Marcel was winning. There wasn't a guy with a bigger smile on his face than Marcel on Saturday. Credit both of those guys.

• Le’Veon Moss is running so stinking hard. That mentality is contagious. I am proud of Moss and how he has continued to grow in our offense. His practice habits are incredible. We have to dial him back in practice because he practices the same way as he plays. 

• An offensive coordinator’s best friend is a good defensive coordinator and an elite pass rush. I’m all good.

• There are a lot of things, looking back at Notre Dame, that I would have done differently. It was a growth period to know how to work together better.

• I was so proud of all our guys on Saturday. For Conner to come back and play the way he did, I’m so happy for him.
Discussion from...

Press Conference: Elko & Co. enter bye week on a five-game win streak

5,408 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 4
Randy Rhodes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm loving Coach Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

On Monday afternoon, Mike Elko, Jay Bateman and Jay Bateman addressed the media with the Aggies facing an open date.

I gotta get the papers, the papers...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.