Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Spav ****ed up (from the other site but not behind a paywall)

4,054 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by TyperWoods
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/article/kyler-murray-transferred-to-oklahoma-after-profanity-laced-argument-with-ex-texas-am-oc-jake-spavital-236977076/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2kSo8v-6fEZr7K-flkDxQtfwQOMspJ_K-XcsKPaRYIAYAPojw-wIktmeI_aem_njUwvfu3w1FVPqegcgDAQA

From Daylon Mack

Quote:

Former Texas A&M defensive lineman Daylon Mack revealed a profanity-laced argument between quarterback Kyler Murray and offensive coordinator Jack Spavital during the 2015 season marked the beginning of the end for the future Heisman Trophy winner's career in College Station. Murray rated as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2015 but started his freshman season behind fellow five-star Kyle Allen on the depth chart. Spavital's juggling of the quarterbacks in a Week 7 loss to Alabama at home that season spurred an outburst from Murray, according to Mack.

"Kyle Allen throws three pick-sixes in the Alabama game," Mack said this week. "That is some s*** you can't even do on Madden. We could have won that game. After his first two pick-sixes, they put Kyler in. Kyler gets into the game and throws a pick. They take Kyler out of the game and Kyle back in. Kyle throws another pick-six. They go back to Kyler, and Kyler tells (OC) Jake Spavital, 'F*** you, I don't want to play for you.'"

Mack roomed with Murray his freshman season and said the quarterback confided in him about the argument after the game. "After the game, we get back to the room," Mack said. "I am chilling with Kyler. Nobody knew of [the outburst] when it happened. Kyler said, 'Hey, did you hear what happened? I told Spav, 'F*** you. I don't want to play for you.' I asked him why he said that. He said, 'Kyle s*** the bed. I'm supposed to be able to come in and finish the game. He s*** the bed.' I always thought Kyler was the better player. He was a Johnny (Manziel) clone."

Mack revealed that Allen got hurt in the Alabama game and it factored into a career-worst performance at Ole Miss the following week. Allen completed 12-of-34 passes for 88 yards, no touchdowns and an interception in a 23-3 loss to the Rebels. Murray never got a chance to play, as he was punished for his outburst the week before, Mack said. "Allen went 12-of-34 in the loss at Ole Miss the next week, and everybody was wondering why Kyler couldn't get in the game," Mack said. "He was on punishment."

Allen sat the next game against South Carolina with injury and racked up 379 yards and two touchdowns but got hurt in a tough, three-interception outing against Auburn the following week. Spavital sent him to the bench for the rest of the regular season, a move that later spurred Murray to transfer to Oklahoma after the season. "Kyler balled out against South Carolina but got hurt the following game against Auburn," Mack said. "They put Kyle Allen back in, and he started balling out and doing better than Kyler. They let Kyle finish the season out. It was very bad. Spav completely ruined the situation. Kyler was pissed. Kyle announced his transfer first, and Coach (Kevin) Sumlin told Kyler he was the starting quarterback. Kyler said, 'No, I don't want a handout. Don't try to put me in now just because Kyle is leaving. Now, I'm also going to leave.' That situation got ruined really bad. It was very bad. They were very unfair to Kyler."

jc100
AG
Geez what a cluster
Eliminatus
AG
That QB disaster that we all know already existed that season somehow got even deeper. What an absolute failure in leadership and common sense from both Spav and Sumlin. This whole thing honestly should be a case study of how NOT to **** up a team and entire season, possibly multiple seasons.

jt16
AG
I don't agree with Kyler telling his OC F You. But, you can avoid that as a coach if you sit down with all parties and explain your plan and what's going to happen. We didn't have a plan obviously so we couldn't explain it.
Divining Rod
Synopsis if you dont have time:

Spavital is an idiot.
Kyler is a little beyotch pu$&!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Divining Rod said:

Synopsis if you dont have time:

Spavital is an idiot.
Kyler is a little beyotch pu$&!

I have known this for 10 years
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
Divining Rod
me too. and everyone else.
MisterJones
AG
So much talent wasted during those years
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is nothing new. We all knew this shortly after it happened.
Rec
AG
Kyler was and still is a stat machine and Kyle was an interception machine in college and a career backup in the NFL. Kyle should have been #2.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The thing about the article that is completely glossed over is the pick sixes against Bama. Sure, Allen threw the picks but they were all in the middle of the field and were returned at least 40 yards. The article makes it sound like he was hanging the ball out to dry in the flat giving up easy pick sixes. If anyone on the offense gave a ****, they would've made a tackle and prevented the TDs.

Sumlin teams were notorious for being full of quit.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Spav made tons of mistakes and mishandled the whole thing, but I don't read those quotes and think Spav is the one that caused that problem.

You have a true fish telling his OC F you when the OC tells him to go back in?

Again, no doubt that Spav messed this whole thing up, but these quotes don't tell that story, IMO.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Rec said:

Kyler was and still is a stat machine and Kyle was an interception machine in college and a career backup in the NFL. Kyle should have been #2.

Blame whoever you want for this, cause obviously he did well at OU, but Kyler was not a good football player as a freshman at A&M.
texag101
When a coach tells you to go into the game that's exactly what you do. You don't pout because you threw a pic and were told to take a rest. And above all you don't tell the coach to F off and quit. F Kyler Murray.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not sure whether knowing more about the situation matters. It was beyond idiotic all that happened. Sumlin was head coach and eventually was fired because of it. Problem solved.
Artorias
AG
Nothing in OP makes me blame Spav more than Murray.
MaroonStain
AG
Sumlin. Started that CF and rode it thru many liters of Crown until finally shown the door.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
all i need to know about kyler murray is the baseball team took his **** and put it outside the locker room. thu didn't want his ass to walk in the facility again. spav and sumlin could have handled it better in hindsight but kyler murray is an entitled *****. they, including the great kevin murray were All part of the problem.
Canyon Lake Agbu94
Emilio Fantastico said:

The thing about the article that is completely glossed over is the pick sixes against Bama. Sure, Allen threw the picks but they were all in the middle of the field and were returned at least 40 yards. The article makes it sound like he was hanging the ball out to dry in the flat giving up easy pick sixes. If anyone on the offense gave a ****, they would've made a tackle and prevented the TDs.

Sumlin teams were notorious for being full of quit.

If you watched the conference championship he coached in his last game at U of h, it was obvious that his teams were full of quit. That was my first Oh Crap moment. I hated the hire, but 2012 hid a lot of his faults.
TyperWoods
Kyler at A&M was a ****-show, even before he committed.

I loved Kevin as a player, but he always had an attitude. And Kyler has an even bigger attitude.
Chetos
AG
None of this is news to anyone that read the Texags chatter back then.

The AD is ultimately to blame for not realizing what a chit show his coach was running. Assuming he had the authority to do anything about it.
Aggie Dad 26
Sumlin has lost control of the quarterback room
Fleen
Quote:

He threw for more than 4,000 yards and 42 touchdowns in the 2018 regular season, and rushed for over 1,000 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns. In December 2018, Murray won the Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country...

But at least we didn't have to put up with his "attitude".

Kid was cocky and confident in his ability, just wanted to play football... We had a second jff in our QB room but we "didn't like his attitude"...

94chem
I also learned that Pat Olsen knew Babe Ruth.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Eliminatus
AG
Fleen said:

Quote:

He threw for more than 4,000 yards and 42 touchdowns in the 2018 regular season, and rushed for over 1,000 yards and 12 rushing touchdowns. In December 2018, Murray won the Heisman Trophy as the best collegiate football player in the country...

Kid was cocky and confident in his ability, just wanted to play football... We had a second jff in our QB room but we "didn't like his attitude"...

No ***** We are charmin soft. National championship teams have near felons on their teams and we boohoo over prissy 5 stars?

We were never SEC ready.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Jake Spavital was arguably the ****tiest OC A&M has ever had. No one on Earth has ever done less with more.

Mazzone was a God compared to the predictable notecard bubble screen bull**** Spavital trotted out on the field every single Saturday.

What a POS.
NoahAg
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

all i need to know about kyler murray is the baseball team took his **** and put it outside the locker room. thu didn't want his ass to walk in the facility again. spav and sumlin could have handled it better in hindsight but kyler murray is an entitled *****. they, including the great kevin murray were All part of the problem.

What's the story here? Never heard that.
Deputy Travis Junior
This was one of the biggest QB management F ups in CFB history (Kyler is an NFL starter and Kyle looked like he might be starter quality for 1/2 or 2/3 of a season), but I will say that Kyler was not - and still isn't - an easy qb to manage. Sumlin had his work cut out for him with that one.

Do you all remember the contract that the cardinals gave him a few years ago? I don't remember the exact wording but it included something like "Kyler will spend at least 45 minutes a day studying and reviewing film" because even at the pro level they couldn't get him to do it before (And in a $200M contract they could only get him to commit to an embarrassingly small amount).
TyperWoods
Eliminatus said:

Fleen said:

Quote:

No ***** We are charmin soft. National championship teams have near felons on their teams and we boohoo over prissy 5 stars?

We were never SEC ready.

It's not either/or.

Both can be true.
Mule
AG
Sumlin's alcohol abuse fingerprints were smeared all over this situation. He was completely M.I.A.
No sober headcoach would have botched it so badly.

There is a great opportunity for the adminstration to create a wellness approach for our coaches. Addiction comes in more forms than just substance abuse. Coaches must be healthy in order to perform at high level.
Deputy Travis Junior
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Jake Spavital was arguably the ****tiest OC A&M has ever had. No one on Earth has ever done less with more.

Mazzone was a God compared to the predictable notecard bubble screen bull**** Spavital trotted out on the field every single Saturday.

What a POS.

Not arguing that spav was a good coordinator, but don't forget that mazzone sold his entire system to high school offensive coordinators for like $1,200.

It's the Ali vs. Frazier of incompetency.
SBDavis87
AG
jt16 said:

I don't agree with Kyler telling his OC F You. But, you can avoid that as a coach if you sit down with all parties and explain your plan and what's going to happen. We didn't have a plan obviously so we couldn't explain it.
Aggie coaching is and always will be full of idiots that's why Kyler transferred and won a heisman.
Jake Spazz's career is defined by trying to "coach" Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State when Weeden was a full two years older than Spazz and knew more about football by far than Spazz.
This pretty much sums up Spazz's ability to be a winning football coach but of course idiot Aggie coaches brought him aboard after Kliff left and the rest of the losing is history (even with one of the greatest college qbs of all time).
Citizen Reign
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Spav made tons of mistakes and mishandled the whole thing, but I don't read those quotes and think Spav is the one that caused that problem.

You have a true fish telling his OC F you when the OC tells him to go back in?

Again, no doubt that Spav messed this whole thing up, but these quotes don't tell that story, IMO.
Spav is the coach and the adult. He failed to create a QB room that worked as a team to create success for the offense.

OU took the same guy and developed a Heisman winner.

Spav and Sumlin 100% did **** the bed.
Romello
Total cluster f. We know to f up a good situation. So much talent and momentum flushed down the toilet in craptastic fashion.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
NoahAg said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

What's the story here? Never heard that.

from what i read the senior leaders of the team took his baseball stuff and put it outside the baseball locker room so he didn't have to walk in to get his stuff. it wasn't over the top ******* move but it was a subtle jab at what they thought of him personally. kyler murray is an elite talent no one can question that but at least when he was younger he came off as an arrogant entitled dick. his teammates picked up on that. at least most did.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.