Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Should Wiggy play against Arkansas?

2,870 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TX_Aggie37
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What would you do if you were Elko?

Reed - He is not perfect but he seems to get things done.
Wiggy - 5* QB but hasn't delivered, may have more potential (not known) and not durable.

As Elko, you also want to keep your job and not end the season on a sour note.

What would you do?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Reed. No question.
Wiggy's had his opportunities.
Ag1188
AG
Depends if the offense is struggling or not. I imagine the running-game will be a slog, so is Reed still moving the chains is the question and accurate with the football.
Gmanoutdoors
AG
Depends on Wiggy's health. If he's not 100%, this isn't a conversation. Reed all day.

If CW is 100% and I'm given the decision, it's Reed's game with a short leash as I feel he's earned that opportunity.

However, I've never watched a single practice nor have I spent any time in the locker room
rab79
AG
Gmanoutdoors said:

Depends on Wiggy's health. If he's not 100%, this isn't a conversation. Reed all day.

If CW is 100% and I'm given the decision, it's Reed's game with a short leash as I feel he's earned that opportunity.

However, I've never watched a single practice nor have I spent any time in the locker room

THIS!!! In spades.
Phoenix1
I believe Reed was a 5* also. From Tennessee, not Texas.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
if CW is 100% reed starts, some state he should have a short leash i am not sure that's advisable either. you don't want two qbs with potential issues between the ears. i think you try and play both if possible. have some packages specifically for CW and use his talents to compliment what reed brings to the table. if you take tbis route it allows for an easier transition if reed struggles. meaning it was already sssumed CW would at least play some. same outcome different approach.
Bring n WOOD
AG
Start Reed, insert CW if Reed struggles…hope Elko is not scared to play our QBs by committee….Go with whoever has the hot hand…hopefully one of them will have a hot hand…..
soleta27
Easy answer if he's not taking the majority of snaps during practice leading up to the game then he's not even prepared to start. Health is a side note
greg.w.h
AG
Wiggy so the fan base goes wiggy…
Gmanoutdoors
AG
I've thought about this, but I struggle to figure out what a specific package for CW would look like that is unique to his skill set. He doesn't have insane arm strength like Joe Milton, and he's not a wicked dual threat. When he's at his best, he's a smart decision maker and an accurate passer.

If he were going to start, I could see a world were you bring in Reed for some zone read/modern veer packages. But what dynamic does CW bring off the bench that changes the way defenses play?

I define short leash not as "1 mistake and your done" but something akin to Hurts and Tua in the 2018 title game.
infinity ag
Gmanoutdoors said:

But won't Reed feel that Elko is waiting for him to fail so he has the excuse to put Wiggy back in again? This won't be good for his confidence and morale when his coach won't give him a fair shake.
Krazykat
AG
It's WEEDMAN!
Sterling82
If Weigman is 100% I think he should start.
Bryanisbest
AG
Amazing that not one single post above is correct. Reed unconditionally all the way.
Gmanoutdoors
AG
infinity ag said:

Gmanoutdoors said:

But won't Reed feel that Elko is waiting for him to fail so he has the excuse to put Wiggy back in again? This won't be good for his confidence and morale when his coach won't give him a fair shake.

It's not so much that Reed knows his leash is short. I certainly wouldn't tell him that. And 1 mistake isn't going to get Reed pulled. I'm certainly not advocating for Kyle and Kyler all over again

But if at the half you have 100 yards of total offense, trail by 10 and turned the ball over twice, you don't run him back out there just because he started the game
halfastros81
AG
He shouldn't start and he won't imo. If he's healthy and Reed is struggling then by all means throw him out there and see what happens . If he's healthy and we somehow manage to get an insurmountable lead get him some reps as well.
NoahAg
Bost!!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I would sit him regardless of his health. Piggy has a good run defense, so I think we will need the versatility that Reed brings with his legs.
Sterling82
Gmanoutdoors said:

infinity ag said:

Gmanoutdoors said:

It's not so much that Reed knows his leash is short. I certainly wouldn't tell him that. And 1 mistake isn't going to get Reed pulled. I'm certainly not advocating for Kyle and Kyler all over again

But if at the half you have 100 yards of total offense, trail by 10 and turned the ball over twice, you don't run him back out there just because he started the game

I agree with this regardless of who starts.
BkYdPitmaster
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I would sit him regardless of his health. Piggy has a good run defense, so I think we will need the versatility that Reed brings with his legs.
Wait, so use Reed since he can run because the pigs have a good run defense?
dcg4403
AG
Most you guys are distanced from the day to day of this program.

Weigman is NOT playing. PERIOD. 100% guaranteed.

He is still healing and hasn't been practicing. When Weigman finally sees 5 days of practice then we will know he is back to near 100%.

Soonest is Mizz for him to get a chance to play again.

If Reed beats Arkansas he becomes the legit QB1 and Weigman has to wait for 2nd half playing time.

That's the true and accurate. I will eat my words happily if not.

We will see both QBs later this season and need both. It is not just a Reed vs Weigman thing.
12thMan9
AG
Phoenix1 said:

Wrong. 4* from MBA in Brentwood which is a private school.
Ronnie '88
BartInLA
Put them both in the backfield at the same time. From the shotgun, one or the other gets the ball. Makes the defense constantly guess.
wangus12
AG
Phoenix1 said:

You'd be wrong. He was a 4*.
TAMUallen
AG
No
ArcheryAg
Reed all day everyday. CW gets garbage time until he can prove he's ready. Sorry CW fans but the best have to play.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
BkYdPitmaster said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Wait, so use Reed since he can run because the pigs have a good run defense?
He is not a RB in case you missed that detail. His shiftiness is another thing that defense has to account for, and I don't think they will be up to that task.
jp95
AG
dcg4403 said:

Most you guys are distanced from the day to day of this program.

Weigman is NOT playing. PERIOD. 100% guaranteed.

He is still healing and hasn't been practicing. When Weigman finally sees 5 days of practice then we will know he is back to near 100%.

Soonest is Mizz for him to get a chance to play again.

If Reed beats Arkansas he becomes the legit QB1 and Weigman has to wait for 2nd half playing time.

That's the true and accurate. I will eat my words happily if not.

We will see both QBs later this season and need both. It is not just a Reed vs Weigman thing.
I can confirm this. My son has a class with a starting O lineman. Connor is still hurt.
Shoefly!
AG
infinity ag said:

Gmanoutdoors said:

Good Lord, get out of here with this bullshives!
Aggie Dad 26
This thread is a solid collection of trolls
Demo_Slug
AG
Let wiggy heal
Russ79
AG
Most coaches don't allow/like a starter losing their starting position due to injury- even Reed's dad agreed that although his son has started and wants to see his son play, CW should return as starter as long as he is 100% and practice proves he is ready to be starter again. Having said that, Elko shouldn't hesitate to pull CW if he is struggling- his job as head coach is to do what is necessary to win...head coaches get paid the big bucks to make hard decisions.
Ag Tag
infinity ag said:

What would you do if you were Elko?

Reed - He is not perfect but he seems to get things done.
Wiggy - 5* QB but hasn't delivered, may have more potential (not known) and not durable.

As Elko, you also want to keep your job and not end the season on a sour note.

What would you do?
Elko should have a few shots before the game and then flip a coin to decide.
Maroon Flash
AG
Saw a facebook post with Weigmann in pads posted yesterday.

Might have been some eye candy subterfuge to screw with Arky Coaches.

Maroon Flash
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.