Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Renewing the Rivalry: Bohls recalls Ags' upset of sixth-ranked Texas in '79

September 25, 2024

In 1979, Texas A&M took down the sixth-ranked Longhorns to close out the season in the win column. Kirk Bohls of the Houston Chronicle joined Wednesday's edition of TexAgs Live to remember the Aggies' victory and discuss Week 5 storylines.

Key notes from Kirk Bohls interview

• Mississippi State has hit rock bottom, haven't they? Don't you think they are the worst team in the league this year?

• There were a lot of stars in the 1979 Texas A&M vs. Texas game. Jacob Green had 20 sacks that year for the Aggies. Curtis Dickey was one of the greatest running backs I had ever seen.

• Texas had its share of stars, too. That was one of Texas' best defenses of all time. It was a senior-laden defense. Darrell Royal had quit after the 1976 season. Mike Campbell, the defensive coordinator, had begged him not to quit because they had a sophomore class of stars. Johnnie Johnson was a two-time All-American at safety and punt returner. Steve McMichael just went into the NFL Hall of Fame. That was a brilliant defense. Texas gave up 104 points all year. Arkansas scored the most on them, with 17.

• One thing I remember about the Texas A&M vs. Texas game in 1979 is how bad it was. The Aggies weren't a great team coming into that game. I think they were 2-4. There were seven turnovers and 16 punts.

• The reason I remember the game so much is because it was a huge game for Texas to lose. Texas lost 13-7. Dickey broke off a touchdown run on a broken play. Johnny "Lam" Jones was on that team. He muffed a kickoff return. They fumbled a couple of punts.

• Texas was hoping to go to the Sugar Bowl that year. They were ranked No. 2 in the country once during that year. Things fell apart, and that loss sent them back to the Sun Bowl. Texas had just been to the Sun Bowl the year before and killed Maryland. They went on to play Washington in the Sun Bowl that year and lost 14-7. I’ll never forget asking Royal about who would win that Sun Bowl, and he looked and me and went, “Well, who wants to be here?”

• Arkansas is much better this year. Taylen Green is a tall, gliding quarterback who can run the ball. Arkansas got off the mat, beating Auburn. They almost beat Oklahoma State.

• A&M has owned this series, winning 11 of the last 12. It is a dangerous matchup for A&M. I think it'll be a typical A&M vs. Arkansas game that goes down to the wire.

• These next two games are huge for A&M. Missouri comes into town next week and is off this week. Missouri hasn't shown everything that we thought we would see from them so far this year. A&M will get two riled-up teams in a row.

• This is another must-win for Sam Pittman. He is evading the sword after winning last week. Bobby Petrino wants this game, too.

• It is a toss-up game against Arkansas. Like when Texas plays Arkansas, this game means more to Arkansas than it does to A&M, especially with Missouri coming up next week. And the fact that A&M has owned them. Squirrelly things happen in that series. They have almost all gone against the Hogs.

• Sometimes, there is more pressure when playing at home against a Group of 5. There is more pressure to perform because you are a big favorite, and everyone expects you to win. This might be the Group of 5's year. Northern Illinois beat Notre Dame. Boise State is very good and almost beat Oregon. Toledo beat Mississippi State. They are representing well.
Discussion from...

Renewing the Rivalry: Bohls recalls Ags' upset of sixth-ranked Texas in '79

453 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by David Nuño
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.