Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Marcel Reed

4,237 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by AggieRingWielder
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't know what to expect from him in future games. Will he be a good passer or a sporadic one? He missed a few wide-open receivers in the BG game but looked really good passing against Florida. He needs to tighten up his shot group or this will be a long season.
Madmarttigan
AG
Has made some good throws and bad. He is very young, important thing is he improves and doesn't stay stagnant. Something we haven't seen in a long while.
Formerly tv1113
South Platte
Tanker123 said:

Will he be a good passer or a sporadic one?
Yes
SeaBrisket
AG
I agree with this. I don't want him to have any bad games, but it's inevitable he will. As long as he keeps learning and improving, he'll be fine.
Give me the guy who shoots for excellence and fails over the guy who shoots for mediocrity and succeeds.
twhitfield8758
AG
He missed several throws against McNeese too.

I think he has a bright future and is gifted athletically, but to say he gives our team a better chance to win over Conner is a stretch.

I would be curious of how Conner would have looked the last two weeks against these defenses.
SeaBrisket
AG
I think Weigmans biggest issue is the space between his ears. Hopefully while he's recovering from shoulder injury, his mental game is recovering also. Maybe seeing Reed under center will light a fire under him and get the competitive juices flowing
Give me the guy who shoots for excellence and fails over the guy who shoots for mediocrity and succeeds.
Tanker123
twhitfield8758 said:

I think he has a bright future and is gifted athletically, but to say he gives our team a better chance to win over Conner is a stretch.

I would be curious of how Conner would have looked the last two weeks against these defenses.
I wonder if Conner would ever become healthy enough to realize his potential.
halfastros81
AG
Reed has been far from the weakest link at any point imo. He's been pretty good especially given his relative lack of experience at this level. He hasn't been flawless for sure but I can only think of two really poor decisions so far. he got lucky on both of them as they just turned into incompletions vs turnovers.
HDeathstar
so far, looks like he has issues with longer passes.
Sterling82
I anticipate seeing both QBs going forward. Reed is special but will likely be inconsistent. I would expect Weigman to be more consistent but less spectacular. I just don't want to see us losing games because one or the other is named starter and we ride them to a loss all the way to another loss ala ND. I don't think we can afford a mediocre season. On the other hand I'm not convinced this staff will be capable of much more than that.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
marcell reed is a work in progress. but his athleticism and composure make him good enough to play while he progresses. more than anything else he helps make our running game go. that is vital to any success we have this season.
infinity ag
OK now we hate our backup QB too. Who is the backup of the backup?

Next!
DenverAggie
AG
After watching the BG game, I prefer for Reed to continue as QB1. He kept multiple drives alive by running, hit some nice throws, and didn't miss more than Wiggy vs ND.
Meanmachine
AG
Any qb making their 2nd ever start and 4 th game action is going to have ups and downs. Does he learn from his mistakes and get better is the key. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Weigman has better arm talent and experience but hasn't looked good this year. Based on how physical the conference is I think both will be needed this year. You can't expect Reed to carry the offense with his experience level but he seems to be a gamer and competitive and hopefully they compete against each other to get better.
Scotty Appleton
He was 420-750 or 56% for his high school career. To date as an Aggie he is a 57% passer. It is probably pretty safe to assume he will never be a high completion % QB. You don't jump 10+ points in college. You have that or you don't.
Aggie Dad 26
He's started 2 games so far and has played the last 10 quarters of Aggie football.

Zero INTs

I like what I see thus far
Definitely Not a Troll
Scotty Appleton said:

He was 420-750 or 56% for his high school career. To date as an Aggie he is a 57% passer. It is probably pretty safe to assume he will never be a high completion % QB. You don't jump 10+ points in college. You have that or you don't.

Not true, too many other factors at play. How was his O-line in college? How about the receivers? I have no idea either just saying it's not all on the QB.
redjalapeno-87
To date as an Aggie, CW is a 60.3% passer, and CW was a 55.3% passer his freshman year (4 games). As you said, Reed is a 57% passer. Closer than most would like to admit. Both would be near the bottom of the SEC in Completion Percentage compared to the last 2 years of completion percentage stats.

Reed has already won 1 more road game than CW. Reed has already surpassed CW in career rushing. CW is 50 for 225 yards, 4.5 per carry and 2 TD. Reed is 45 for 262, 5.8 per carry and 2 TD. Both need improvement, and both are capable QBs, with different play styles.
Magneto
AG
Meanmachine said:

Any qb making their 2nd ever start and 4 th game action is going to have ups and downs. Does he learn from his mistakes and get better is the key. Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. Weigman has better arm talent and experience but hasn't looked good this year. Based on how physical the conference is I think both will be needed this year. You can't expect Reed to carry the offense with his experience level but he seems to be a gamer and competitive and hopefully they compete against each other to get better.

I agree. When is the last time we went a full season with one QB? Pullig?

The decision will be made for us naturally and all this wondering will go away.
Aston04
AG
It was more worrisome that Mond's completion percentage sucked in hs and he played on an all star team (IMG).
Bobaloo
He's a freshman. Two career starts. An SEC road win. Worked his butt off on the scout team last year. Hats off to Marcel. I'm glad he's on our side.
Scotty Appleton
Definitely Not a Troll said:

Scotty Appleton said:

Not true, too many other factors at play. How was his O-line in college? How about the receivers? I have no idea either just saying it's not all on the QB.

He played at a good program in high school that has produced a good slew of D1 & NFL players. Those were his stats over 4 years. He is what he is. He is never going to be a 68-70% passer. You can't coach accuracy.
Frank Grimes
AG
Magneto said:

Meanmachine said:

I agree. When is the last time we went a full season with one QB? Pullig?

The decision will be made for us naturally and all this wondering will go away.

2012 and 2013 minus a 1/2 game suspension. Also, 2019-2021 (or whatever Mond's S, J, and S years were).
Mule
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Can't coach accuracy
Bryanisbest
AG
redjalapeno-87 said:

To date as an Aggie, CW is a 60.3% passer, and CW was a 55.3% passer his freshman year (4 games). As you said, Reed is a 57% passer. Closer than most would like to admit. Both would be near the bottom of the SEC in Completion Percentage compared to the last 2 years of completion percentage stats.

Reed has already won 1 more road game than CW. Reed has already surpassed CW in career rushing. CW is 50 for 225 yards, 4.5 per carry and 2 TD. Reed is 45 for 262, 5.8 per carry and 2 TD. Both need improvement, and both are capable QBs, with different play styles.

A huge difference in the two: Reed does not turn the ball over and is a much better runner.
PA24
AG
He is too skinny

Bryanisbest
AG
Scotty Appleton said:

Definitely Not a Troll said:

Scotty Appleton said:

He played at a good program in high school that has produced a good slew of D1 & NFL players. Those were his stats over 4 years. He is what he is. He is never going to be a 68-70% passer. You can't coach accuracy.

Bull-hockey
greg.w.h
AG
If you thought we would run the conference with any one of the three…well…you have a very good imagination!!!
Bryanisbest
AG
Tanker123 said:

twhitfield8758 said:

I wonder if Conner would ever become healthy enough to realize his potential.

Great question. Conner is a mystery
Bryanisbest
AG
HDeathstar said:

so far, looks like he has issues with longer passes.

Listen to the above interview with Jackie Sherrill when he said Reed "can throw the football." Of course you know more about it than the best football coach A&M ever had, right?
Aggie Dad Sip
I'm too lazy to do it, but has anyone ever run CW's numbers against P5 and SEC competition? His total stats in 11 games at A&M are decent. They're not overly impressive but definitely not bad. He's a 60% passer averaging just under 200 yds a game with 18 TDs and 4 picks. I'm interested to see what he looks like against non-cupcakes.
geoag58
AG
Reed to my recollection has not taken a big hit and seems to have great pocket awareness. His problem will be does his grasp of the system and playbook progress faster than the opponents ability to defense him as our opponents are gaining tape of him to analyze. Let's hope the game starts slowing down because when it does he will be fun to watch.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
The Zookeeper
AG
Dos
Aggie Dad 26
Aggie Dad Sip said:

I'm too lazy to do it, but has anyone ever run CW's numbers against P5 and SEC competition? His total stats in 11 games at A&M are decent. They're not overly impressive but definitely not bad. He's a 60% passer averaging just under 200 yds a game with 18 TDs and 4 picks. I'm interested to see what he looks like against non-cupcakes.

Stolen from IraqX2Veteran

Conner Weigman has been just average against Power 4 teams. He is 5-4 as a starter but just 2-4 against Power 4 teams. If we exclude our home win over Auburn in which he left with a left ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, he is just 1-4 in games against Power 4 teams that he started and finished.

31-28 home loss to Ole Miss: 28/44, 338 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
13-10 road loss at Auburn: 14/36, 121 passing yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions
38-23 home win over LSU: 12/18, 155 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions

48-33 road loss at Miami: 31/53, 336 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions
27-10 home win over Auburn: 8/14, 70 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions before injuring his left ankle in the 2nd quarter.

23-13 home loss to Notre Dame: 12/30 100 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

Statistically, Conner Weigman had his best performance against Power 4 teams during his freshman year with 7 touchdowns against 0 interceptions in 3 SEC games. Since his sophomore year, he has thrown 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions in 3 games against Power 4 opponents, and he had his collegiate career worst performance against Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame has one of the nation's best defenses, but 13 points is the fewest we have scored in a home game since a 26-10 loss to Auburn on 11/7/15.

In contrast, Marcel Reed completed 11 of 17 passes for 178 yards, 10.47 yards per attempt, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions in his first collegiate start. He attempted only 17 passes because we had 55 rushing attempts for 310 rushing yards, 5.63 yards per carry. Also, Reed had 13 carries for 83 rushing yards, 6.4 rushing yards per carry, and 1 touchdown. Yes, Florida has one of the nation's worst defenses, but this was Reed's first collegiate start came in an SEC road game. Reed accounted for 261 total yards and 3 touchdowns and had no turnovers. As result, we dominated Florida from start to finish to snap a 10-game road losing streak and get our first road win since a 35-14 rout at Missouri on 10/16/21, 1064 days or 152 weeks prior."
Aggie Dad Sip
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

Stolen from IraqX2Veteran

Conner Weigman has been just average against Power 4 teams. He is 5-4 as a starter but just 2-4 against Power 4 teams. If we exclude our home win over Auburn in which he left with a left ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, he is just 1-4 in games against Power 4 teams that he started and finished.

31-28 home loss to Ole Miss: 28/44, 338 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
13-10 road loss at Auburn: 14/36, 121 passing yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions
38-23 home win over LSU: 12/18, 155 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions

48-33 road loss at Miami: 31/53, 336 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions
27-10 home win over Auburn: 8/14, 70 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions before injuring his left ankle in the 2nd quarter.

23-13 home loss to Notre Dame: 12/30 100 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

Statistically, Conner Weigman had his best performance against Power 4 teams during his freshman year with 7 touchdowns against 0 interceptions in 3 SEC games. Since his sophomore year, he has thrown 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions in 3 games against Power 4 opponents, and he had his collegiate career worst performance against Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame has one of the nation's best defenses, but 13 points is the fewest we have scored in a home game since a 26-10 loss to Auburn on 11/7/15.

In contrast, Marcel Reed completed 11 of 17 passes for 178 yards, 10.47 yards per attempt, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions in his first collegiate start. He attempted only 17 passes because we had 55 rushing attempts for 310 rushing yards, 5.63 yards per carry. Also, Reed had 13 carries for 83 rushing yards, 6.4 rushing yards per carry, and 1 touchdown. Yes, Florida has one of the nation's worst defenses, but this was Reed's first collegiate start came in an SEC road game. Reed accounted for 261 total yards and 3 touchdowns and had no turnovers. As result, we dominated Florida from start to finish to snap a 10-game road losing streak and get our first road win since a 35-14 rout at Missouri on 10/16/21, 1064 days or 152 weeks prior."

Fantastic! Thanks so much for doing the homework for me.

He's still got double TDs vs picks, but the numbers definitely show a downward trend. However, we don't really know what the Petrino effect was. It's entirely possible he's had to learn three different systems in three seasons. That's ridiculously hard for any QB, regardless of their football IQ.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.