Story Poster
Mike Elko
Theo Melin Öhrström
Le'Veon Moss
Texas A&M Football

Öhrström emerges as important piece to Texas A&M's offense

September 23, 2024

There have been a few unforeseen developments in Texas A&M’s football season.

The most surprising might be that after four games the Aggies’ leader in touchdown receptions is Swedish.

But there is Theo Melin Öhrström — aka “Thor” — at the top of the list with two touchdown catches. No other A&M receiver has more than one touchdown catch.

Öhrström caught a 29-yard scoring strike from Marcel Reed against Florida.

He followed up with a 27-yard scoring catch from Reed last week against Bowling Green.

In both games those were his only catches. In fact, a nine-yard pass from Conner Weigman against McNeese State was the first reception of his three-year career.

“Me personally, I have trust in whoever is back there (at quarterback),” Öhrström said on Monday. “The last two Saturdays it’s been Marcel and I. I feel like he’s done a great job in trusting me and trusting all the guys we have to make plays.

“Whoever it may be (at quarterback) we’ve put enough work in that we can have a connection with anybody who’s back there.”

Öhrström came to A&M as part of the heralded 2022 recruiting class. Football in Sweden is played on a much lower level, so he was part of the RIG Academy, which helps showcase European players to U.S. collegiate coaches.

Öhrström participated in about 10 camps on various campuses. Coaches were intrigued by his then- 6-foot-6, 245-pound frame and athleticism.

“I think since we’ve been here I think we just noticed a kid that’s committed to working every day. He’s obviously really talented. He’s athletic. He can run routes. He can create separation. He’s also physical at the point of attack. He’s just continued to grow every single week, every single game...”
- Mike Elko on Theo Melin Öhrström

A&M head coach Mike Elko, then the Aggies’ defensive coordinator, recalled seeing “Thor” at a camp in College Station.

“I remember him just showing up at a camp and just to some degree catching my eye as I was looking at defensive players,” Elko said. “He was running routes and doing some of those things. He certainly jumped out from an athleticism standpoint.”

Elko left after that season to become head coach at Duke, so he didn’t see Öhrström’s early developmental process.

But Elko has liked what he has seen since becoming A&M’s head coach.

“I think since we’ve been here I think we just noticed a kid that’s committed to working every day. He’s obviously really talented. He’s athletic. He can run routes. He can create separation. He’s also physical at the point of attack.

“He’s just continued to grow every single week, every single game and has been a factor for us, big time, the last couple of weeks.”

Öhrström, who is now listed as a 6-foot-6, 265-pound sophomore, acknowledged he had to learn the physical aspects of playing major college football.

That accomplished, he can show off his ability to make touchdown catches.

That has also given him the opportunity to show us his touchdown celebration dance that he developed with fellow tight end Tre Watson.

“Me and Tre Watson, ever since the first week of Fall Camp, we were like the first touchdown we scored if we’re both on the field we’re going to hit that dance.

“We hit in practice when we scored in a good-on-good period. Me and Tre started hitting it. Jahdae (Walker) came and joined in. When I scored against Florida, I turned around and I saw Jahdae right there. All three of us just hit it. That was a lot of fun.

“This past weekend it was just a current TikTok trend. It’s a dance I’ve been trying to get a little better at. I didn’t do a great job last weekend, but hopefully I’ll have a chance to hit it again soon.”

Aggies fans hope so, too.

Reading Reed

There was an atmosphere of excitement when freshman quarterback Marcel Reed passed for 178 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 83 yards and a touchdown two weeks ago against Florida.

Zoe Kelton, TexAgs
Rolling up a career-high 91 yards on the ground against Bowling Green, Marcel Reed became the first Aggie QB to rush for 75-plus yards in consecutive games since Kellen Mond in 2019.

But last week when he passed for 173 yards and two touchdowns and rushed for 91 yards against Bowling Green, there seemed to be some disappointment.

Elko appeared confused — or annoyed — by the different reactions because Reed compiled 261 yards of total offense vs. Florida and 264 vs. Bowling Green.

“It’s funny what expectations do,” Elko said. “It’s funny what people think when they hear ‘Bowling Green,’ so they anticipate a certain type of thing because of it.”

Elko acknowledged Reed has to get better. But that’s not surprising for a kid who’s made two collegiate starts.

“He’s got a big arm. He’s got tremendous athleticism,” Elko said. “I still think there are some progression, reads, checks that he’s still working through. I think those things have made tremendous strides from spring ball, through Fall Camp, through playing against McNeese, Florida, last week. The multiplicity of defense and learning how to maneuver through all of that.

“He’s a young quarterback who gets better every time he takes snaps.”

That’s entertainment

In the nine games A&M and Arkansas have played at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, six have been decided by seven points or less. Three went into overtime. One ended on a missed field goal attempt that hit the top of an upright.

Elko said there are multiple reasons why the games between the Aggies and Razorbacks typically are so close.

“I think the environment plays a role,” he said. “Kids play their best football on that stage. I think everybody gets excited for playing in that stadium.

“Obviously, this game means a lot to both teams. We always seem to get their best. We always try to give them our best. When two teams do that, I think, you end up with a lot of really close, entertaining football games.”

Well, not entertaining to everybody.

“Obviously, not as a coach. I didn’t remember any of them to be entertaining when I was here,” Elko said. “They were all way too close for my liking. But from the fans’ perspective they’re entertaining games. I certainly expect it to be one.”

NOTES

• Moose Muhammad III, who has had several big catches in his career, did not play against Bowling Green. Elko said they’re looking for more consistency from Muhammad for him to get on the field.
  • Tackle Trey Zuhn was cited as A&M’s Offensive Lineman of the Game for his play in the 26-20 victory over Bowling Green. Nic Scourton was named Defensive Lineman of the Week. Shemar Turner was Defensive Player of the Week. Kicker Randy Bond was Special Teams Player of the Week.
Discussion from...

Öhrström emerges as important piece to Texas A&M's offense

3,355 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 37 min ago by Fquin
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Norwegian TD machine
AG
MaroonStain said:

Norwegian TD machine

The Norwegian TD machine from Sweden
Fquin
AG
We have a more prolific tight end on the bench who can also block unlike Thor. Why is he only in on the onside kick is my question.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.