Story Poster
Photo by Brianna Paciorka/News Sentinel / USA TODAY NETWORK
Texas A&M Football

SEC Round-Up: No hard feelings for Heupel in return to Norman

September 18, 2024

Forgiveness is wonderful. Those willing to let bygones be bygones should be applauded.

Therefore, respect should be given to Tennessee football coach Josh Heupel, who appears to have no animosity toward Oklahoma for the knife in the back he got in 2015.

Heupel, who was quarterback on Oklahoma’s 2000 national championship team, was the Sooners offensive coordinator in ’15.

Following an 8-5 finish, then-coach Bob Stoops fired Heupel and replaced him with Lincoln Riley.

Heupel left Norman as a scapegoat. He returns on Saturday as perhaps an emerging GOAT of Tennessee coaches.

He’s not ready to replace General Robert Neyland or even Philip Fulmer atop the list of Tennessee coaching greats, but he could be on his way.

In just over three seasons he’s returned Tennessee to national prominence. He brings the No. 6-ranked team in the nation to face the 15th-ranked Sooners.

Robert Deutsch - USA TODAY Network
As QB, Josh Heupel guided the Sooners to an undefeated season and national title with a 13–2 victory over Florida State in the 2001 Orange Bowl.

He claims he’ll return with no hard feelings, but who could blame him if he did?

“I’m proud of a lot of what we did and what I was a part of while I was there,” Heupel said on Wednesday. “I wouldn’t change anything. I’m fortunate and blessed to be here (at Tennessee). Absolutely love it on Rocky Top. I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many great people along the way that have impacted me.

“But Oklahoma impacted me that way, too. From a player the relationships I got with teammates, fellow coaches as a coach, my coaches as a player, too. It was a great journey. I wouldn’t be here without everything that happened at Oklahoma.”

Maybe Oklahoma wouldn’t be struggling to evade mediocrity if Heupel hadn’t been ousted.

Riley eventually replaced Stoops as OU’s head coach. After five seasons, he abruptly left for USC following the 2021 season.

Since then, OU went 6-7 in its first year under Brent Venables. Last year the Sooners were 10-3, but did not reach the Big 12 Championship game. That’s the definition of underachieving at OU.

Now in the stronger Southeastern Conference, the Sooners are 3-0, but struggled at home to beat Houston and Tulane.

Tennessee is easily the strongest opponent Oklahoma will have faced.

By the same token, Oklahoma is the strongest opponent Tennessee will have faced.

But while Oklahoma has fought hard for wins, Tennessee has rolled by opponents.

The Vols are the highest-scoring team in the nation. They haven’t allowed an offensive touchdown. They’ve won all three games by at least 41 points.

The transformation Heupel has performed at Tennessee must be respected.

Almost as much as his ability to forgive.

Around the SEC

This week’s games: Bowling Green at No. 25 Texas A&M; Florida at Mississippi State; No. 3 Ohio at Kentucky; UCLA at LSU; Arkansas at Auburn; Vanderbilt at No. 7 Missouri; No. 6 Tennessee at No. 15 Oklahoma; Akron at South Carolina; Georgia Southern at No. 5 Ole Miss; ULM at No. 1 Texas

Nelson Chenault-Imagn Images
Arkansas RB Ja’Quinden Jackson became just the fourth Razorback since 1997 to record 135+ rushing yards, 3+ rushing touchdowns, 1+ receptions and 10+ receiving yards in a single game at Oklahoma State on Sept. 7.

Who’s hot: Arkansas running back Ja’Quinden Jackson has exceeded 100 rushing yards in all three games. He’s gained more than 140 yards in each of the last two. A transfer from Utah, Jackson leads the SEC and is sixth in the nation in rushing. He’s accumulated 397 yards and six touchdowns, including a 46-yard run vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff in the season opener.

Who’s not: Auburn’s pass defense is atrocious. The Tigers are ranked 99th in the nation and last in the SEC. They’re allowing an average of 242.7 yards per game despite having faced FCS Alabama A&M, Cal (91st in passing offense) and New Mexico (62nd). Cal and New Mexico have had their highest passing outputs of the season against Auburn.

Keep an eye on: Look for Texas A&M running back Le’Veon Moss to have another highly productive game. Moss rushed for a career-high 110 yards on just 18 carries in last week’s victory over Florida. He’s running behind an offensive line that appears to be getting better each week. He’s also facing a Bowling Green defense that is ranked 121st in the nation against the run. Fordham’s Julius Loughridge rushed for 112 yards against Bowling Green. Penn State’s Nicholas Singleton had 119 and Kaytron Allen had 101.

Pressure is on: The pressure is always on Florida coach Billy Napier, but it may be more intense than ever this week. First, the Gators are 1-2 after falling to Texas A&M last week. Next, they travel to face Mississippi State, which last week was beaten badly by Toledo. A loss to a team that lost to Toledo may be unforgivable. Further, the Gators are open next week. That would seemingly set up a perfect time to make a coaching change — if necessary.

Best matchup: A lot of attention is put on Tennessee’s passing game, but it’s their ability to run the football that really has the Volunteers moving. Tennessee leads the SEC and is ranked third nationally in rushing offense. The Vols are averaging 336.3 yards per game on the ground. Dylan Sampson has gained 357 yards. DeSean Bishop has 222. Both average more than seven yards per carry. However, Tennessee hasn’t faced much competition. Kent State has allowed more than 200 rushing yards in all three of its games. Chattanooga was an overmatched opponent that allowed 184 rushing yards in a loss to Mercer. Even North Carolina State is ranked only 74th against the run. Oklahoma is the best defense Tennessee will have faced. It’s not even close. The Sooners are No. 22 in the country in run defense. Opponents are averaging just 2.2 yards per rush. Linebacker Danny Stutsman averages 11 tackles per game. OU must contain the Tennessee running game and force quarterback Nico lamaleava to prove he can pass the Vols to a win.

Discussion from...

SEC Round-Up: No hard feelings for Heupel in return to Norman

1,586 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Matsui
Matsui
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.